Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU to get $51m to boost economic development in aircraft manufacturing.

Comment

• Huge win for WSU and the Wichita area. Awarded ~$51 million.

Originally posted by shocker_torero View Post
      Not sure if it was mentioned here already, but a consortium of local partners led by Wichita State was selected by the Department of Commerce Economic Development Organization (EDA) for a $500,000 dollar grant to further develop a proposal that could see them net up to $100,000,000 in grant awards.

The WSU led group was one of 60 finalists out of 529 submissions. The WSU group will now compete for the larger pool of money, with finalized proposals due in March to the EDA. 20-30 winners will be announced, and will earn anywhere from $25-100 million dollars each.

The WSU proposal, if selected (or funded through other avenues) would kick-start five major projects. All of which have positive implications for the Wichita area, and several are direct construction projects that would add to the educational and economic progress the Innovation Campus and WSU Tech has been leading the past few years (thank you Bardo for being such a visionary and fighting through entrenched naysayers to get us to where we are today).

The projects are as follows (direct construction highlighted in bold):

1) Small- and Medium-Sized Companies Additive Manufacturing Adoption Strategy
      2) Expansion of Semiconductor Testing and Evaluation Facilities for U.S.-Based Semiconductor Manufacturing
      3) Resiliency of Smart Manufacturing
      4) Industry and Entrepreneurial Cyber Manufacturing Convening
      5) Workforce Expansion: Construction Project for National Center for Aviation Training (NCAT) Advanced Manufacturing Training and Research Building

Of note, in the description of number 2, the proposed project calls to "create and equip a university-based testing and evaluation facility to support the semiconductor industry." Wichita based Integra Technologies is the assumed lead and the WSU Innovation Campus would be the likely location. Number 5 seems to align with WSU Tech's mission, and one would reasonably expect the "80,000 sqr ft" building to be built at Jabara as it would "be home to advanced manufacturing training, education, and research programs... and will also be home to the newly implemented professional pilot program."

Details for those interested can be found here: https://eda.gov/arpa/build-back-better/

Comment

• Interesting.

The Sunflower - WSUPD promotes app to improve campus safety

“It is honestly one of the faster ways to receive alerts,” Captain of WSU Police Dept. Kyle Garwood said. “That’s just because of the way that system can push it through its own network versus trying to send out 16 thousand text messages at once.”

Upon downloading Rave Guardian, users will be prompted to create an account. By adding their WSU-affiliated email address, users will be added to the WSU Police Department’s jurisdiction. Safety alerts will be routed to the “inbox” on the app.

“It ties into our emergency notification system,” Garwood said. “It’s the same company.”

One of the app’s more unique aspects is the “Guardian” feature. One can select a “guardian” that will be notified in the case of an emergency. The app’s “safety timer” feature sets an interval at the user’s request. At the end of the interval, the user’s selected guardian will be notified. The selected guardian is also able to virtually walk with the user through campus or elsewhere.

“With Guardian, users can create a profile of information about themselves, and invite family and friends to their safety network,” WSU said via wichita.edu. “It’s like having an emergency blue light system and a trusted friend with you at all times.”
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• This doesn't hurt the educational and hands on aspects of WSU.

WSU - NASA engineer returns to Wichita State as Innovator in Residence

Dr. Ryan Amick, a Wichita State University alumnus and NASA engineer, has been selected as one of the Innovators in Residence for the College of Innovation and Design during the 2022-23 academic year.

Amick is a principal human factors engineer at NASA Johnson Space Center in Houston. He serves as the extravehicular activity (EVA) human factors lead, where he provides human factors and human-systems integration guidance to the NASA community as applied to development of the Exploration EVA System, and its integration with the larger NASA Spaceflight System Architecture.

He additionally serves as the habitability (HAB) scientist for NASA’s Human Research Program, where he investigates how the design of vehicles, habitats and spacesuits impact astronaut crew health and performance.

As an Innovator in Residence within the College of Innovation and Design at Wichita State, Amick will collaborate with students and faculty to provide industry knowledge, insight and guidance throughout the development of novel, innovative technology products and solutions.

Amick received his B.A. and M.Ed. in exercise science in 2005 and 2007, respectively, and Ph.D. in industrial engineering in 2014 at Wichita State.
          Wichita State has long had a good relationship with NASA and this will only continue to bolster that, with Dr. Amick coming back to bring his knowledge and insight to current students.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I assumed that all of this would be taken care of locally, but it sounds like both Topeka and Salina are trying to get involved. I don't fully understand all of the specifics and what Wichita could really be lacking to do complete this program, but apparently it's possible that one of those cities will also be involved with the NIAR-WERX program. I guess I assumed that Jabara could be used for this. I'm not sure if WSU has a presence of any kind at ICT.

Topeka Capital-Journal - Could Topeka's Forbes Field help convert Boeing 777 passenger planes into cargo freighters?

Topeka is in line to share in the benefits of a project at Wichita State University's National Institute for Aviation Research.

The project at NIAR WERX converts Boeing 777 passenger planes into cargo freighters. The giant jets require long runways and jumbo hangars. Topeka and Salina both have runways that are long enough and space to build the hangars.

"The remodeling of commercial aircraft — passenger aircraft to freight aircraft — seems like it's on a trajectory for a lot of opportunity," Moran said.
            This spring, the Kansas Legislature provided funding for hangars to help get the passenger-to-freighter conversion program off the ground.

"We have the runways, so we have the big part done," Wichita State administrator John Tomblin told lawmakers in January. "But the work is going to go where the hangars are."

"My regular conversations with Dr. Tomblin is do not forget Topeka and Salina," Moran said. "This is a statewide conversation."

This spring, the Kansas Legislature provided funding for hangars to help get the passenger-to-freighter conversion program off the ground.

"We have the runways, so we have the big part done," Wichita State administrator John Tomblin told lawmakers in January. "But the work is going to go where the hangars are."

"My regular conversations with Dr. Tomblin is do not forget Topeka and Salina," Moran said. "This is a statewide conversation."
            I also understand that Moran represents that area of the state, but it does sound like they will be making an effort. I'm hopeful that Dr. Tomlin and company keep things nearby. Upon reading the article again, it seems as though Wichita does have the runway space to do this here, but we need the hangars. But it appears that Salina and Topeka would also need to build hangars so I'm not sure why the funding would leave the Wichita area if the required hangars don't already exist.

Jabara also makes a lot of sense due to the presence of WSU Tech right there, and the close proximity to NIAR. The more I think about this, the less sense it makes to locate the project outside of Wichita and that this is Moran just blowing smoke to appease the bulk of his voter density base. So this may all be nothing, but any time government is involved, you never know.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• It wouldn’t make sense for the hangers to be built anywhere else but Wichita. It’s a program with supposed direct connections for WSU and WSU Tech students.

I understand the desire to “share the wealth” with the rest of the state, but did anyone share the wealth with
              the Panasonic battery factory? No. I also understand the localities of Topeka and Salina trying to elbow their way in, it’s all part of the game.

But, The fact of the matter is WSU, NIAR, and WSU Tech are the ones who have put in ALL the legwork and it takes a LOT to even get to this point. If the end result is hundreds of jobs and billions in potential revenue going to cities hours away from Wichita I’ll be furious.

Wichita has the airports, has the desire, has the infrastructure, has the need, the local talent pipeline, and the central group running the program.

Do not decentralize and give Wichita’s future away.

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I assumed that all of this would be taken care of locally, but it sounds like both Topeka and Salina are trying to get involved. I don't fully understand all of the specifics and what Wichita could really be lacking to do complete this program, but apparently it's possible that one of those cities will also be involved with the NIAR-WERX program. I guess I assumed that Jabara could be used for this. I'm not sure if WSU has a presence of any kind at ICT.

Topeka Capital-Journal - Could Topeka's Forbes Field help convert Boeing 777 passenger planes into cargo freighters?

I also understand that Moran represents that area of the state, but it does sound like they will be making an effort. I'm hopeful that Dr. Tomlin and company keep things nearby. Upon reading the article again, it seems as though Wichita does have the runway space to do this here, but we need the hangars. But it appears that Salina and Topeka would also need to build hangars so I'm not sure why the funding would leave the Wichita area if the required hangars don't already exist.

Jabara also makes a lot of sense due to the presence of WSU Tech right there, and the close proximity to NIAR. The more I think about this, the less sense it makes to locate the project outside of Wichita and that this is Moran just blowing smoke to appease the bulk of his voter density base. So this may all be nothing, but any time government is involved, you never know.

Comment

• Jabara has a smaller runway than Salina and Topeka. This could be playing into it. I'm not sure of the requirements for a 777, but we all know a 747 will tear up the Jabara runway.

Edit: according to Google, the runway is 6100 ft long. That may be pushing it. Salina is 12,300 ft. Topeka is 12,800ft and 50 ft wider.

So my take is that Jabara isnt an option for the 777.
                Last edited by rrshock; September 7, 2022, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• I'm assuming the runway location is McConnell, as they have shared space to Spirit/Boeing and now NIAR for many, many years.

Jabara is a general aviation airport. It is not in the conversation here, I wouldn't think.

Comment

• So we close 43rd and extend the runway.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                      I'm assuming the runway location is McConnell, as they have shared space to Spirit/Boeing and now NIAR for many, many years.

Jabara is a general aviation airport. It is not in the conversation here, I wouldn't think.
                      I wasn't sure if NIAR had access or not at McConnell or Ike. Those were my first thoughts, but because of Tech I wondered about Jabara.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• NIARs current MRO work is done out of the old Boeing Defense buildings.

I think the only question would be whether there is ample space to expand near that site and if the Air force is ok with more shared traffic.

One thing to note, when the NIAR WERX expansion and new contract for work was announced in May through WSU the director stated “we will be making further announcements of large growth in Wichita, Salina, and Topeka.”

I can’t find the state documents for the 50 mil to build the hangers, but I’m curious if there were caveats attached to taking the money?

Putting anything WSU related in Topeka and Salina would be a nice expansion of scope and reach, but I still want the bulk of the jobs in Wichita. I’d hate to train people at NIAR, WSU and WSU tech just to have them leave the metro and move to Topeka.

If NIAR expands to Salina does that mean the death of KSU’s “aviation program” and campus?

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I wasn't sure if NIAR had access or not at McConnell or Ike. Those were my first thoughts, but because of Tech I wondered about Jabara.

Comment

• As part of the $51 million dollar grant, WSU is pledging to build a SMART facility that will be "a state, public, non-profit educational, and research facility" - construction should commence in the second quarter of the award and occupancy of the building will start in 2025. Presumably this building will be build on the Innovation Campus, as WSU also stated a commitment to "centrally located investments made at the WSU Innovation Campus."

They project this facility alone is projected tocreate 400 - 450 jobs.

Construction: Smart Manufacturing and Applied Research Training Facility
                          Expands training capacity to deliver high-precision, high-wage, high-demand career guidance for students and incumbent workers. Encourages educators, trainers, and researchers to partner with employers to equip the workforce with relevant skills and competencies for existing and emerging jobs, measuring success by the number of students who leave equipped to land a job.

As another component of the final grant proposal (which doesn't seem to be mentioned much in the news) is a semiconductor testing lab. One of the partners is Integra Technologies of Wichita, so assuming they will expand, possibly with a presence at WSU. That project is projected to add 90-100 jobs.

Semiconductor Testing and Evaluation Laboratory
                          Alleviates supply chain bottlenecks in hermetic electronic component testing, increases resiliency and reliability of testing and evaluation, and provides applied learning for university and technical school students. Laboratory will double the amount of internal gas analysis (IGA) testing available to U.S. firms.

Comment

• Is the there a single individual who is primarily in charge of the Innovation Campus? I know the buck stops at President Muma, but wonder if there is someone in charge of the day to day operations and especially the vision that is being shown. It seems so me that someone out there is absolutely killing it with the leading edge technology and partnerships with private and government entities that we are hearing about on a regular basis.

How fortunate were we to have a man like President Bardo. His vision has absolutely transformed WSU today and well into the future.
                            Go Shocks!

Comment

• It’s John Tomblin, who’s also the exec director of NIAR.

if WSU lost him to a competing institution we’d lose bigly

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker_torero View Post
                                It’s John Tomblin, who’s also the exec director of NIAR.

if WSU lost him to a competing institution we’d lose bigly
                                True, he’s a ‘must keep’ at all costs.
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X