This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pogo View Post

As I have stated many times before in other topics about the subject of a return of football it just isn't going to happen. Too much money to build a new stadium and practice facilities. No one can say that it would be better attended now than it was back in the day. Would I like it to returnand would I go. Sure I would in a heart beat but me and 30-50 thousand people ins the seats aren't going to make it happen. The program would have to be endowed and that takes Koch or Knightor Pickens kind of money.
    Naw, there would never be 30-50k in the stands w/ the kind of football I'm talking about. More like 10-20k. Just a nice low-level football game that's very competitive AT THEIR LEVEL. A very low-cost affair compared to NCAA-NFL football. Just spend $20-30M on the stadium to bring it up to code and add a few nice touches. We can do that for 5-10 years. Then if we get ultra-competitive and start upsetting the upper leagues every now and then, maybe we can dip our toe in the big pond when the opportunity presents itself. Either way, we have football for the students and the community.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
      ADDB on the Drive pretty much states there are no plans, no fund raising, no timeline for Cessna demo or replacement.

I love that Koch is based in Wichita, but for a company as affluent as Koch industries it sure is a head scratcher on why they don’t do more for the city of Wichita. I don’t live there so I’m probably wrong about their contributions outside of employing a bunch of people and paying taxes.

Mark Arts is beautiful and a great homage to his mother, but what demographic of the population is using it? 0.001? Probably less than 500 people?

11:45 mark

I shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth. They gave over $11m to “Shock the World” campaign in 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Naw, there would never be 30-50k in the stands w/ the kind of football I'm talking about. More like 10-20k. Just a nice low-level football game that's very competitive AT THEIR LEVEL. A very low-cost affair compared to NCAA-NFL football. Just spend $20-30M on the stadium to bring it up to code and add a few nice touches. We can do that for 5-10 years. Then if we get ultra-competitive and start upsetting the upper leagues every now and then, maybe we can dip our toe in the big pond when the opportunity presents itself. Either way, we have football for the students and the community.
        Well anything less than Division I football would NOT be well supported by Wichita, and it would HAVE to be successful to be supported. I really hate to say this because you have so much enthusiasm but your hypothesis is weak here as well. Those that want to support a lower division team can support Friends University.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post

Well anything less than Division I football would NOT be well supported by Wichita, and it would HAVE to be successful to be supported. I really hate to say this because you have so much enthusiasm but your hypothesis is weak here as well. Those that want to support a lower division team can support Friends University.
          Yeah, I used to say that too. D1 or bust. Mostly to troll other Valley fans. Nobody blinked. We just don't have football now. Villanova averages around 7k per game. We'd be the only game in town, in the middle of a football hotbed, with plenty of solid athletes who weren't quite good enough for KSU. Some would choose Wichita State. We'd have hometown kids, the black n' gold, an occasional visit by an AAC/FBS team. As long as we were competitive at our level, we'd have 10K+ w/ the occasional bigger crowd during promotions. It would be superior to nothing.

Friends University plays football?

Comment

Yeah, I used to say that too. D1 or bust. Mostly to troll other Valley fans. Nobody blinked. We just don't have football now. Villanova averages around 7k per game. We'd be the only game in town, in the middle of a football hotbed, with plenty of solid athletes who weren't quite good enough for KSU. Some would choose Wichita State. We'd have hometown kids, the black n' gold, an occasional visit by an AAC/FBS team. As long as we were competitive at our level, we'd have 10K+ w/ the occasional bigger crowd during promotions. It would be superior to nothing.

Let’s just acquire BCCC and we’d have a solid start…
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Virtue signaling is unnecessary. While we are very grateful for the diehards who supported football, those who couldn't handle the losing, or the cold should not be shamed. Football is MUCH bigger now and I assure you it would be better attended today at WSU, than in the past.

What I would like to see is a nationally competitive MVC or even lower level football program (like Villanova). Do they have a league with maybe half the scholarships of 1A? Then we could have some foolsball in the fall and it would be OUR foolsball. Then maybe someday we move up. Who knows. But right now, we are dead in the water on all accounts: tradition, experience, and expansion.
              Pioneer Football League.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

That’s where I got my bachelors. Was there from 96-2000. We did nothing notable in that time, and I believe not much since. But the atmosphere of game day in the fall and for homecoming is something WSU is missing. Soccer could substitute for that.

Maybe.
                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

That’s where I got my bachelors. Was there from 96-2000. We did nothing notable in that time, and I believe not much since. But the atmosphere of game day in the fall and for homecoming is something WSU is missing. Soccer could substitute for that.

Maybe.

Comment

I said MAYBE!
                    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

I think WSU would fair very well at the FCS level much like VILLANOVA has. Did you know there is not an FCS program in Oklahoma, Nebraska, or Kansas? We also sit right in the middle of some of the best Juco conferences in the nation. Geography wise, we are primed to be very successful at FCS. We would also likely play an annual FBS game or two vs a regional team. Meaning we would likely be traveling to KU/KSU/OSU/Tulsa etc every year. It would be a blast to hit those stadiums up and actually have a rooting interest. Will we win very many of those??? Probably not. However the school gets to cash a 500k check and we get to enjoy college football again. I am sure we could average above 10k and in a 15-18k stadium, that's a lot of noise and a fun atmosphere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockerman View Post

I think WSU would fair very well at the FCS level much like VILLANOVA has. Did you know there is not an FCS program in Oklahoma, Nebraska, or Kansas? We also sit right in the middle of some of the best Juco conferences in the nation. Geography wise, we are primed to be very successful at FCS. We would also likely play an annual FBS game or two vs a regional team. Meaning we would likely be traveling to KU/KSU/OSU/Tulsa etc every year. It would be a blast to hit those stadiums up and actually have a rooting interest. Will we win very many of those??? Probably not. However the school gets to cash a 500k check and we get to enjoy college football again. I am sure we could average above 10k and in a 15-18k stadium, that's a lot of noise and a fun atmosphere.
                        The Big 4 have really clamped down on playing FCS opponents. There are exceptions for instate historical matchups, ie, UNI vs. Iowa and Iowa State. But the every now and then games against the Big 4 are disappearing. Because of this, the group of five have fewer opportunities to schedule FCS opponents as their non con schedules all include a Big 4 opponent. Even in the Big 12, Texas and Oklahoma no longer have been scheduling FCS opponents. Not sure what will happen when the dust settles, but Kansas may find themselves in a conference that no longer allows them to play SWOMO and SEMO.
                        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• "South Kansas" sounds weird.

Comment

• Sounds better than NE Kansas

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X