This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
    Yep. This was the best option. Now the business school students will vote on a huge increase in their fees (which they will surely vote down), or the donations get returned and the project doesn't happen. That's my understanding, based on how my son (a current business student) explained it to me.
    Your scenario if the Business School students turn down the vote would represent an extreme lack of leadership at WSU. I find that hard to believe. The project should go on. Just need to find alternate sources of funding and get it done. I can see Bus. Students voting on the same fee increase for them only and then look for additional funding / donations.

Comment

• When we elect politicians on their promises to cut taxes, that's a good thing.

But when students vote not to raise their own taxes, that's a bad thing?

Sooner or later we're going to have to figure out that if we want public facilities, someone has to pay for them. It can't always be "someone else" who has to pay so that we don't have to.

Would you vote to raise your own taxes to pay for the new Business School building? Probably not. Then why would you expect students to vote to raise their taxes, because fees for public buildings that are not owned by those who paid for them are just another form of taxation.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        When we elect politicians on their promises to cut taxes, that's a good thing.

But when students vote not to raise their own taxes, that's a bad thing?

Sooner or later we're going to have to figure out that if we want public facilities, someone has to pay for them. It can't always be "someone else" who has to pay so that we don't have to.

Would you vote to raise your own taxes to pay for the new Business School building? Probably not. Then why would you expect students to vote to raise their taxes, because fees for public buildings that are not owned by those who paid for them are just another form of taxation.
        Would not recommend raising taxes in Sedgwick County for it but as a Bus. Student, yes I would raise my fees to assist . Wouldn’t you have voted yes?

Comment

• Aargh
          Aargh commented
          Editing a comment
          I worked, paid rent, put food on the table, and went to college all at the same time. I lived in some very sketchy parts of town because that was all the rent I could afford. I didn't have a problem with my weight. You'd be amazed how you can stay slim on what we referred to as the "poverty diet".

I would not have voted to raise my own costs.

• Keep in mind that not everyone that goes to Wichita State is a Shocker. We probably have thousands of Jayhawks attending the University. You think they’re going to vote for an increase in tuition that only benefits future Wichita State attendees?

Comment

• Comment

• WstateU
            WstateU commented
            Editing a comment
            Some people just don’t get it.

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            Well said by Provost Muma. Think he might be the heir apparent to President Bardo when his tenure comes to an end?

• SHOCKvalue
            SHOCKvalue commented
            Editing a comment
            If the new MO moving forward is facility improvements are to be burdened by the alumni/supporter groups for each respective field/college, then I don’t think this is going to turn out like the lib art crew envisions. Could be that 50 years from now the engineering, business, health sciences, and probably natural sciences will have gleaming houses of learning, while the lib art crew is slumming it in a pole barn out in the back 40 behind the physical plant.

Would be fitting. Could have a drum circle amongst themselves convincing each other how the private sector prefers a college manuscript with 40 hours of history or the classics over 40 hours of fluid dynamics or accounting or biochemistry or nurse practitioner classes. Because they say so.
            Last edited by SHOCKvalue; March 10, 2019, 05:27 PM.

• I wasn't aware of it, but I'm glad Muma called out the sabotage and hypocrisy of the History dept. faculty. I hope they experience some major shunning from the rest of the university.

Comment

• This sounds like more positive growth for WSU : https://www.kansas.com/news/business...228293089.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Power Outlet View Post
              This sounds like more positive growth for WSU : https://www.kansas.com/news/business...228293089.html
              It's starting to look like the Coliseum is going to be more valuable to the community as a research center than it ever was as a public arena. NIAR is the best repurposing of a building I think I've ever witnessed in Wichita.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

It's starting to look like the Coliseum is going to be more valuable to the community as a research center than it ever was as a public arena. NIAR is the best repurposing of a building I think I've ever witnessed in Wichita.
                I could be wrong, but I think this new lab they’re talking about is going in a new free-standing building on the IC. East of the new-ish Experiential Engineering building a ways.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

I could be wrong, but I think this new lab they’re talking about is going in a new free-standing building on the IC. East of the new-ish Experiential Engineering building a ways.
                  This is correct. The superstructure is already up on the corner of Oliver and the new 18th Street segment on campus.
                  “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Student Athlete Center (the long proposed building next to CKA and the track) expected to break ground June 2019.

Comment

• Comment

• New business school to start construction and be ready by the fall of 2021. 5 million dollar anonymous donation plus taking the remainder from allocated funds from every department makes this possible after students rejected the referendum to increase student fees. I am glad the school is going ahead and the students voted enough was enough and that funds to finish the school funding coming from the university ie all departments

Comment

• Long overdue. Clinton Hall is in need of a lot of work or demolition.
                          The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Comment

• And to think it was the newest building when I was there

Comment

Working...
                            X