Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid enrollment report for WSU this year.

Headcount up 4.7 percent. Third straight record freshman class. FTEs (the new measuring stick) up 1.58 percent.

Gains were realized in the following categories:
    • 11.8 percent more new students from Sedgwick County and the surrounding metropolitan area
    • 26 percent more new students from out of state
    • 6.4 percent more new transfer students
    • 40.2 percent growth in total students from the I-35 corridor
    • 6.2 percent growth in total students from underrepresented race/ethnic minority backgrounds
    • 60.6 percent growth in total online majors
    • 30.1 percent growth in non-degree students, badges, etc.
    • On-campus living of more than 1,300 residents, the most in university history

http://www.wellingtondailynews.com/n...-by-47-percent
    Last edited by Wuzee; October 1, 2018, 11:03 AM.
    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
      Solid enrollment report for WSU this year.

Headcount up 4.7 percent. Third straight record freshman class. FTEs (the new measuring stick) up 1.58 percent.

Gains were realized in the following categories:
      • 11.8 percent more new students from Sedgwick County and the surrounding metropolitan area
      • 26 percent more new students from out of state
      • 6.4 percent more new transfer students
      • 40.2 percent growth in total students from the I-35 corridor
      • 6.2 percent growth in total students from underrepresented race/ethnic minority backgrounds
      • 60.6 percent growth in total online majors
      • 30.1 percent growth in non-degree students, badges, etc.
      • On-campus living of more than 1,300 residents, the most in university history

http://www.wellingtondailynews.com/n...-by-47-percent

Curious if/when the technical school will be included in the total WSU count.

Regardless, WSU is growing its base nicely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
        I don't know if it ever will be, but it is certainly not included this year, as WSU Tech has a separate line item in the full KBOR report. WSU Tech is up 6.14 percent with 2,779 FTE students.
        “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Originally posted by Wuzee View Post

I don't know if it ever will be, but it is certainly not included this year, as WSU Tech has a separate line item in the full KBOR report. WSU Tech is up 6.14 percent with 2,779 FTE students.
          Back when the WSU-WATC merger was being finalized, they ended up taking some steps back with respect to how close/integrated the merger was actually going to be. I don’t recall the specifics, but it was reported in local media. I think WSUTech is just WATC with a different name and some additional corroboration with 21st and Hillside with regards to degree paths and transfer credit and some admin stuff. WSUTech is part of WSU from a marketing and branding perspective, but still a lot like the independent WATC of old in many ways.

It is curious though in those stats that K-State Poly is under the umbrella of K-State, and Washburn Tech is under Washburn, but WSUTech and WSU are separate.

Comment

• WSU and WSUTech not being able to combine numbers might be purely be design of the KBOR, if you know what I’m getting at. Can’t let WSU look too legit, ya know.

Comment

• WstateU
            WstateU commented
            Editing a comment
            That's exactly what I was thinking and it wouldn't surprise me if true.

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
          WSU and WSUTech not being able to combine numbers might be purely be design of the KBOR, if you know what I’m getting at. Can’t let WSU look too legit, ya know.
          It's my understanding that Washburn/Washburn Tech and K-State/K-State Poly have been connected for a much longer time than WSU and WSUTech. That would be my guess for the difference.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• New YMCA, Urgent Care to benefit Wichita State students, community

https://www.kwch.com/content/news/Ne...494974571.html
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Huge News which should cause student enrollment at Wichita State to take off exponentially:

Comment

• WstateU
                WstateU commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL!

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o72Fg...90Nq/giphy.gif

• ShockTalk
                ShockTalk commented
                Editing a comment
                As a note, homebrewer Michael Wilcox was the Cidermaker of the year last year. He makes great home brews as well.

The local Craft Brewers are also making some noise. Central Standard won Wichita's first medal, a Silver, at the Great American Beer Festival in 2016, Wichita Brewing won a Silver in 2017, and just a couple of weeks ago, Central Standard won Wichita's first Gold medal along with Hopping Gnome's Silver for 2018.

• Spirit AeroSystems will soon be located in Wichita State's Partnership 2 building.

Oct. 25, 2018 -- Only seven months after announcing its collaboration agreement with Wichita State, Spirit AeroSystems has started plans to further expand in WSU's Partnership 2 (P2) building near 17th Street and Oliver.

Comment

• Hyatt Place coming to campus

The Assman

Comment

• New hotel, crash lab, and the YMCA: Construction boom continues at Wichita State University

Comment

• Wichita State wants to offer in-state tuition to more out-of-staters

https://www.kansas.com/news/local/ed...220618930.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                      The new student-athlete center near Koch will really transform the look of the south side of Cessna Stadium.
                      It has been quiet regarding the stadium. Whether to lower one side, both sides or keep as is. It appears to be in need of repair with even the signage on the west side broken and tattered.
                      Have any of you heard of final plans? Also, when does construction start for the new Business School.

Comment

• Shock Top
                        Shock Top commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I wish they would knock it down and build a dedicated T&F facility. WSU already hosts one of the great high school events in the country, and he's a pretty solid T&F/CC program, so a decent facility would be great to have.

• Research and Development sets new record

According to press release from the university, total R&D award funding reached $104.6 million, with the school saying that the increase was driven by strategic efforts to heighten the exposure of industry and government grant opportunities across its campus.

FY 2014 — $50.5 million.

FY 2015 — $53.2 million.

FY 2016 — $74.3 million.

FY 2017 — $90.6 million.

FY 2018 — $104.6 million

Comment

• It's pretty astounding that in just four years, WSU doubled its research funding.
                        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Working...
                        X