Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is WATC a good school or will it be a drag on the overall value of a WSU degree?

Comment

• Originally posted by atlwsu View Post
      Is WATC a good school or will it be a drag on the overall value of a WSU degree?
      Not one bit; it will be a 'win win' for both institutions... probably add closer to 4000 new students. Now if we could acquire BCCC, we'd have our ready made football team. :)
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Is WATC a good school or will it be a drag on the overall value of a WSU degree?
        It will be fairly similar to the setup K-State has with their main campus, and their more vocational Salina campus, I believe.

Comment

I agree that it should be a win-win. I think considering how many future jobs will not need a four year degree but will need some advanced training, this is a very savvy move. WSU is being more responsive to real needs, and the "curb appeal" of the AA and/or training from WATC is boosted by being under the WSU flag. I hope it also means that someone who starts out at the WATC level, gets a good job, then realizes they want to advance into management or something would have a smoother path to the four year degree they seek.
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• New parking garage set to be completed in July.

Plans to build a multi-level parking garage on the Wichita State University campus continue to move forward.
            ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• This will be huge for the city of Wichita. As I have gotten older it has become so obvious how adventageous a technical degree can be compared to your average "psych" major. A tech grad can walk out the door ready for employment, the other not so much. Like the previous poster said, removing some of the stigma of WATC by placing it under the WSU flag will be a tremendous boost to potential students. The more grads that WATC/WSU can crank out, the better for the city and region. Not to mention, having another 3000 students paying athletic fees is always a good thing. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockerman View Post
                This will be huge for the city of Wichita. As I have gotten older it has become so obvious how adventageous a technical degree can be compared to your average "psych" major. A tech grad can walk out the door ready for employment, the other not so much. Like the previous poster said, removing some of the stigma of WATC by placing it under the WSU flag will be a tremendous boost to potential students. The more grads that WATC/WSU can crank out, the better for the city and region. Not to mention, having another 3000 students paying athletic fees is always a good thing. ;)
                Agreed. The higher the education level of the work force, the more economic viability the region has. Even factory workers in the USA will require post High School education. The dirty, dangerous factory jobs that require only HS education are vanishing. They either have moved overseas or eliminated by automation. The USA factory jobs will be technologically advanced requiring more training and education. One of the best economic investments a community can make is post-secondary education of the labor pool.
                ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• What will the change do to costs for students? IIRC, watc wasn't exactly cheap.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                    What will the change do to costs for students? IIRC, watc wasn't exactly cheap.
                    Not cheap, but you are an excellent candidate for employment when you walk out the door!

Comment

• Interesting question. I know at some places there is a tier type of cost per hour based on the academic focus...engineers and business types paid more per hour than the liberal arts and fine arts types. Other disciplines were rated for expected income after graduation.

Comment

• There are lots of dual credit high school/college credit courses at WATC that helps the student who isn't a college graduate type of student but still wants to increase skill level that motivates the right student.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                          Interesting question. I know at some places there is a tier type of cost per hour based on the academic focus...engineers and business types paid more per hour than the liberal arts and fine arts types. Other disciplines were rated for expected income after graduation.
                          WSU already does this, effectively.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                            New parking garage set to be completed in July.

http://www.wichita.edu/thisis/stories/story.asp?si=3467
                            I see that it will be multi-level.

I hope that they are putting in adequate elevators. I do not like walking up and down a flight of stairs. If not, they are just wasting their time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                              New parking garage set to be completed in July.

http://www.wichita.edu/thisis/stories/story.asp?si=3467
                              "Centrally located on campus, the parking garage will be built on an existing lot that’s currently used by faculty and staff."

"The pay-to-park garage would have about 450 spots for faculty, students and visitors."

Poorly written or our they going to charge faculty to park where they parked for free before? It will be interesting how many students will pay to park.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                                Poorly written or our they going to charge faculty to park where they parked for free before? It will be interesting how many students will pay to park.
                                Faculty already have to pay to park.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X