Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish the SGA could have had the foresight to realize the genius in this plan:

1) This would be open to all YMCA Members, so not only students would be using the facility and it would get other members of the community on campus, that would not normally be there. Maybe it encourages someone to start taking classes, stay in Wichita and go to WSU, or simply just become a Shocker fan.

2) Not only would students have access to that YMCA, but it would give students access to the other surrounding YMCAs. That way, if you are a commenter student, you could use another YMCA on days were you aren't on campus or it is more convenient.

It appears WSU/YMCA came up with a smart and forward thinking approach. They were able to get the draw of both a new on campus facility and also work with the fact that a lot of students also commute.

It's too bad it has hit a dead end for now. Hopefully, it's not totally dead in the water.
    The Assman

Comment

• From what I've seen, most in SGA that opposed didn't oppose because they hated the idea, but said that more time was neeeded.

Comment

• Hopelly it's not completely dead then. It would definitely be another thing to make the campus even more attractive. I was thankful for Heskett but yeah it's seen better days. Not much fun getting a run in, in a small room with little to no outside light and being unable to escape the smell of the guy who busted ass on the treadmill in front of you.

Comment

• Students are A LOT softer now, than when I attended. I want every one of those students who have ever set foot into that new residences hall or the updated student center, but turns an eye to increasing fees for a new fitness center to kindly never use those facilities again.

If you want nicer and newer $hit; you have to pay for it. If you want to go to a better university; you have to pay for it.

Nothing in life is free. Innovation and change comes at a price. It was this backwards thinking mindset, that caused WSU to lag behind in certain areas for so long. Hopefully, Bardo can come up with another solution.

(Also, I thought I heard that the pulse on campus was the student weren't too thrilled with the current SGA)
          The Assman

Comment

• I think WSU should create their own student fitness center, but not have to serve the YMCA for the rest of eternity. The Heskett does not meet student needs and its time to start exploring new options but you don't have to ram through the first thing that goes on your desk. This whole new fitness center was just brought up as even being a option last week and the people wanted it passed that day. Pump the breaks and lets make sure people are going to benefit from it being on campus as opposed to other options.

Comment

• Originally posted by WINGdingBALLfling View Post
              I think WSU should create their own student fitness center, but not have to serve the YMCA for the rest of eternity. The Heskett does not meet student needs and its time to start exploring new options but you don't have to ram through the first thing that goes on your desk. This whole new fitness center was just brought up as even being a option last week and the people wanted it passed that day. Pump the breaks and lets make sure people are going to benefit from it being on campus as opposed to other options.
              True, but it makes the YMCA responsible for upkeep and keeping the facility up to date, which is good business for them if they do. Also, I like how it lends way to the fact WSU is still a commuter school (by giving students access to all Y's), while still trying to move closer to be a more livable campus (with a shiny new center).
              The Assman

Comment

• Locally the Y has a very good rep, maybe an excellent rep. Nationally, the Y is usually the butt of jokes. I am not so sure that having a YMCA on campus is a good thing. I would prefer a student friendly, student focused rec center. It won't be just soccer moms and professionals using ithe new on campus Y as there will be the normal allotment of daycare, summer camps and other youth stuff. Not to mention all the other activities that go on at the Y that would be unusual on a college campus. Pumping the brakes in this instance isn't necessarily a bad thing. The whole things seems odd.
                Last edited by Shockerman; March 9, 2017, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                  Wish the SGA could have had the foresight to realize the genius in this plan:

1) This would be open to all YMCA Members, so not only students would be using the facility and it would get other members of the community on campus, that would not normally be there. Maybe it encourages someone to start taking classes, stay in Wichita and go to WSU, or simply just become a Shocker fan.

2) Not only would students have access to that YMCA, but it would give students access to the other surrounding YMCAs. That way, if you are a commenter student, you could use another YMCA on days were you aren't on campus or it is more convenient.

It appears WSU/YMCA came up with a smart and forward thinking approach. They were able to get the draw of both a new on campus facility and also work with the fact that a lot of students also commute.

It's too bad it has hit a dead end for now. Hopefully, it's not totally dead in the water.
                  I kind of read this to say that only students of WSU would be using this facility. Faculty could gain access by joining the Y

Comment

• $7.75 per credit hour is insane. It takes a minimnum of 124 credit hours to graduate. That works out to $961 in fees over 4 years. That's $240 a year for a membership in an on-campus Y. A regular adult membership is $452.40 per year, so it is a discounted membership, but...

...there are a lot of college kids who can't afford even a discounted membership. The ones who can't afford it are the ones busting their butts to work, live and go to college at the same time. They don't have time to go to the gym. They're either working, in class, studying, or taking care of family obligations.

An on-campus Y is a great luxury, but if it has to be paid for by students, then it's a luxury many of them cannot afford.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• My kid lives at Shocker Hall, and pays $1k a month for the privilege. He's also an engineering student, paying a $50/credit hour fee above what other students pay, to help fund "specialized" professors, and new engineering buildings being built, in which some he'll never see as he'll have graduated by the time they're completed. And, guess what, he's already got a Y membership through our family membership. But, he's still being asked to pay another $7.75/credit hour for this? Just my $.02.

Comment

• ❄️Stephanie Clayton❄ @SSCJoCoKs 1h

Sb 174: aurthorizing wichita area technical college to affiliate w/Wichita State University favorable for passage by Voice Vote. #ksleg

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                          I read somewhere that the powers that be decided to modify the proposed WSU-WATC relationship from a "merger" to an "affiliation". Not sure what that means specifically; the local media has done a very poor job covering this story and its evolution.

Comment

• Here's an interesting article about one of our soon-to-be new conference mates, UCF, and what they're proposing as part of a new athlete's village. It's going to be a bit of a humbling experience to no longer be King of the Hill as we are in the Valley and I would suspect this example is just one that 3G and others in the Athletic Department will point to as they lobby for more money for their programs.

From the article:

In the artist’s rendering released by University of Central Florida athletics, the lazy river is crystalline blue as it weaves past the miniature golf course and the sand volleyball courts, turning a bend before it reaches the hot tub. On the patio, a few wooden huts provide a shaded area where — if this wasn’t a facility being built by a state university to attract teenagers — one might expect to find a jovial bartender in a floral-patterned shirt blending a pitcher of pina coladas.

Does the proposed YMCA have an indoor lazy river? LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
                              Here's an interesting article about one of our soon-to-be new conference mates, UCF, and what they're proposing as part of a new athlete's village. It's going to be a bit of a humbling experience to no longer be King of the Hill as we are in the Valley and I would suspect this example is just one that 3G and others in the Athletic Department will point to as they lobby for more money for their programs.

From the article:

In the artist’s rendering released by University of Central Florida athletics, the lazy river is crystalline blue as it weaves past the miniature golf course and the sand volleyball courts, turning a bend before it reaches the hot tub. On the patio, a few wooden huts provide a shaded area where — if this wasn’t a facility being built by a state university to attract teenagers — one might expect to find a jovial bartender in a floral-patterned shirt blending a pitcher of pina coladas.

Does the proposed YMCA have an indoor lazy river? LOL.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.eaec4b11a49c
                              I'm not certain, but I think Florida Gulf Coast already has something like that. (The lazy river)

Comment

• We don't need a lazy river but a new basketball specific dorm and baseball specific dorm would go a long ways.

Comment

Working...
                                X