Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU needs this and Wichita and the rest of Kansas located outside NE KS deserve it

Comment

• Very interesting discussion between Dr. Bardo and Jeff Fluhr about the future of Wichita State and the Wichita metro area. IMO there are a lot of positive things happening.

Watch as Dr. John Bardo, president of Wichita State University, talks through key issues over breakfast with Jeff Fluhr, president of the Greater Wichita Partnership. CANDID CONVERSATION BETWEEN WICHITA INFLUENCERS This first installment of Power Breakfast showcases the brainpower of Dr. John Bardo, president of Wichita State University, and Jeff
      ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Apartment complex coming to campus. Construction to start soon.

A private apartment complex is planned for Wichita State University's Innovation Campus, with the first building ready for occupancy in time for fall classes in August 2017.

Comment

• You can vote on which logo for Braeburn Square you like best.

I picked option 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            You can vote on which logo for Braeburn Square you like best.

I picked option 2.
            That was kinda fun. Now if they would just do the exact same thing and let us vote on which conference WSU plays in.

Comment

• WSU just did a short presentation outlining a $250M, 3.5 year capital campaign. Kinda of a big deal, although the only place you can find any news or reporting on this is a little post on the WSU Foundation's Facebook page, and an unannounced Facebook live feed of the event on the WBJ page. No attempts to get everyone excited with press releases beforehand, informational disclosures, nothing. I'm not sure if they could have kept this lower key if they tried.

I'm totally perplexed at the level of exposure WSU gave this. So strange. Seems to be an odd way to kick off a campaign to shake a quarter of a billion dollars from the pockets of your boosters and alums.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                WSU just did a short presentation outlining a $250M, 3.5 year capital campaign. Kinda of a big deal, although the only place you can find any news or reporting on this is a little post on the WSU Foundation's Facebook page, and an unannounced Facebook live feed of the event on the WBJ page. No attempts to get everyone excited with press releases beforehand, informational disclosures, nothing. I'm not sure if they could have kept this lower key if they tried.

I'm totally perplexed at the level of exposure WSU gave this. So strange. Seems to be an odd way to kick off a campaign to shake a quarter of a billion dollars from the pockets of your boosters and alums.
                I agree it seems odd, but I'm thinking those that will make the lion's share of that $250M contribution aren't motivated by news posts. They probably got (or will get) a much more personalized announcement. ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                  I agree it seems odd, but I'm thinking those that will make the lion's share of that $250M contribution aren't motivated by news posts. They probably got (or will get) a much more personalized announcement. ;-)
                  Yeah, I just had a chance to watch the whole FB live video from earlier via the WBJ FB page.

Elizabeth King said they actually started this several years ago, with a recommendation from consultants of a 7 year, $175M campaign. They already have $145M as of today, and they decided to bump to $250M as time has progressed. So basically this is a public announcement smack dab in the middle of the campaign.

Many of us have heard about a capital campaign brewing, and have been waiting for an announcement, I just don't understand what the motivation is with keeping something like this under wraps for so long. Just... odd.

Comment

• I also assume that this ($250M capital campaign) means no football.

“Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                      I also assume that this ($250M capital campaign) means no football.

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/edu...106139257.html
                      The BIG football announcement will be “Shock the World II” following the BIG news on a new conference affiliation.

"Dear lord baby Jesus".

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                        I also assume that this ($250M capital campaign) means no football.

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/edu...106139257.html
                        There is >$50M not accounted for in the items listed in that list, so there could definitely still be some wiggle room.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                          There is >$50M not accounted for in the items listed in that list, so there could definitely still be some wiggle room.
                          The list totals $168.2 million which does not include the $28 million portion of the new Barton School of Business that they said would be raised by selling bonds and through student fees.

Of the $145 million raised to date about $30 million are deferred gifts that include intended gifts in wills (better not piss those folks off with lousy basketball seats as wills can be changed) and some unknown part of the gifts are in-kind gifts which could be about anything except cash.

Yeah, there might be another $50 million available IF AND WHEN they receive those commitments and when those commitments are filled. Since they said they would not start any building projects until the funds are secured they are about $50 million short of being able to start all the projects listed in the article. That's assuming they don't count intended gifts as secured until the gift is in hand.

Typically, the final $100 million would be tougher to raise than the 1st $150 million although you never know when a mega-donor will step forward Bigly.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 5, 2016, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                            Yeah, I just had a chance to watch the whole FB live video from earlier via the WBJ FB page.

Elizabeth King said they actually started this several years ago, with a recommendation from consultants of a 7 year, $175M campaign. They already have $145M as of today, and they decided to bump to $250M as time has progressed. So basically this is a public announcement smack dab in the middle of the campaign.

Many of us have heard about a capital campaign brewing, and have been waiting for an announcement, I just don't understand what the motivation is with keeping something like this under wraps for so long. Just... odd.
                            Actually I don't think that this is that odd in the world of academia. I think that most institutions roll out big capital campaigns by doing private fund raising, before rolling it out with a big public splash. I suppose there are several advantages to this:

1. Wealthy donor egos are stroked by the University going to them before going to the public.

2. Gauges what level of funding the University thinks they can raise before going public. It would look pretty stupid if they announce $250M campaign and can't get any where close to it. I think the article stated that they were initially thinking $145M goal, but based on the initial response they raised it to $250M.

3. Shows momentum when they do roll it out publicly that they have already raised a very large portion of the goal. Hopefully that will excite additional donors to contribute to the campaign.

I imagine there are other benefits to this strategy. I can't think of a downside to this approach.
                            ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Special Report: Wichita State, WATC merger talks advance

"If the merger is approved, WATC likely would become the School of Technology and Applied Science within Wichita State."

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                                Special Report: Wichita State, WATC merger talks advance

"If the merger is approved, WATC likely would become the School of Technology and Applied Science within Wichita State."

http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/n...667&j=76334921
                                That will add about 3k to the enrollment figures.

Comment

Working...
                                X