This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    My plan is to attend the VB match at 5:00 pm and assuming the Lady Shocks cooperate and make reasonable quick work of Evansville head over to either Shocker Hall or RSC for some dinner, then return to Koch for the men's basketball game.

Saturday I could either catch some lunch before the Lady Shocks play Creighton at 2:00 pm or perhaps some dinner before the VB match at 7:00 pm or maybe both. I would like to check out the Shocker Sports Grill.
    The way they renovated the Shocker Sports Grill is fantastic. Really well done.

Here is a pic of the pool table and video game side:

And a pic of the bowling side:
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Pretty good representation of Shocker fans at the Shocker Hall dining facility for a pre-game meal including some Shocker Volleyball Royalty. Sara Younes Butler, Emily Adney and Jackie Church. Worked out perfectly for our group.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        Pretty good representation of Shocker fans at the Shocker Hall dining facility for a pre-game meal including some Shocker Volleyball Royalty. Sara Younes Butler, Emily Adney and Jackie Church. Worked out perfectly for our group.
        What are the prices there, and which part of the complex is the dining hall in?
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Talked to an admin type guy about what was going on at WSU. He said to be prepared for some really cool announcements in the very near future. Such as....The multi use corridor is getting a bunch of interest from developers on the SW corner of Oliver and 21st to include apartments for faculty and or retired folks that want to live in a college environment, restaurants and shopping as well as a national hotel to anchor it. The innovation campus has caught more international companies attention and expect an announcement soon on another "partner" that wants to be on campus. The second dorm that was proposed to be built in a couple of years will now be started in the spring of 2015. This admin guy says that Dr Bardo is not satisfied with what has happened so far and each day asks the question "What are we doing NOW?" I always like Dr Beggs but I believe Dr Bardo will change the face of WSU as well as Wichita.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
            What are the prices there, and which part of the complex is the dining hall in?
            When we arrived at Koch Arena I saw Marta Warren, administrative assistant for WBB, and told her we wanted to eat at Shocker Hall Dining between the VB match and the MBB game. She said that was a good idea and "Hey, maybe we should think about promoting that".

The Dining Hall is on the ground floor of the building on the South side of the complex (North of the Administration Building/Clock Tower Building).
            There is an opening between the buildings on the West end and the East end. Go into the opening and the enter the East Building on the South side and it is you're their. If you entering from the Cessna Stadium side, go through the opening between the buildings on the North side of the complex. You will encounter a very nice courtyard (the students were just finishing up a pep rally when we game through that way). Go across the Courtyard and up the stairs and into the building on East (your left).

Prices were $7.75 per person for dinner. (Breakfeast is $4.95 and Lunch is $6.05) You pay at the door and once your in you can stay as long as you like and eat as much as you want. It is Buffet style with several different stations and options.

The have several different stations including the Grill, International, Chef's Table, Pizza, Soup, Simple Servings (gluten free station), Salad, Deli, and of course Dessert/Ice Cream and two beverage stations. Here is this weeks Menu. The Food was okay. The pepperoni pizza was good but I would avoid the Turkey Sausage and Arugula Sausage Pizzetta. Overall food was okay, not great. Convenient as heck though.

Facility is very nice.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 15, 2014, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• The entry to Shocker dining is just under the walkway connecting the two buildings on the South Side of the complex (at the top of the stairs from the courtyard).

Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 15, 2014, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• I am very concerned about the recent reports in the media about crime in the area surrounding Wichita State. First and foremost this affects me personally as my daughter attends Wichita State and I want her to be safe. Secondarily, I am concerned about the negative publicity from these events and the potenial impact on the programs and growth we are seeing at Wichita State. I believe that the City of Wichita needs to take immediate steps to mitigate this situation before it escalates. I sent emails to the Mayor, City Council, City Manager, and Police Department, and I plan to follow up these emaiils with phone calls. If you agree with me, I suggest that you do the same. You can send emails to these individuals by going to the City of Wichita website:

http://www.wichita.gov/Pages/default.aspx

Under the governmet tab, you can click on the links for these offices and scroll down to the bottom of the page and there is a link for the email to these individuals. Below is the text of the email that I sent to the City Manager.

Dear Mr. Layton,

I am writing to you first and foremost as a father who has a daughter attending Wichita State University. The recent reports of crime in the area are very upsetting to me as a parent, and causes great concern for the safety of my daughter.

Secondly, I am writing to you as a concerned citizen of this community. There are some very positive things happening at the University that have the potential to create a lot of economic impact for the City of Wichita. The negative publicity of crime in the area has the potential to undo these positive developments.

Therefore, I am imploring the Mayor, City Council, City Manager and Police Chief to take both immediate and long term steps to rectify this situation, as follows:

1.Increase patrols and community policing in the areas surrounding Wichita State. An increased presence of police in the area is the best and an immediate step that can be taken to address the crime in this area.

2. Improved lighting for the area. The entire area around Wichita State should have bright as daylight lighting on the streets, parks and public areas. Lighting will improve the safety for those in the area.

3. Video Surveillance of public areas such as parks.

The time is now to take action on these items before the situation is escalated and the negative impact can't be undone.

Respeectfully,
                Last edited by Shocker-maniac; November 16, 2014, 04:45 PM.
                ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• @1972Shocker: thanks for publicizing Shocker Hall in exemplary fashion. I have eaten there on several occasions but really hadn't given it its justice on this board.

Right now, one of the best deals in town. 7 bucks and change for all you can eat of decent food is unheard of isn't it?
                  As far as the crime goes I don't think our city will want to stop the momentum created by Dr Bardo turning the campus into something special. I would anticipate this getting dealt with pretty swiftly. Of course most of those suggestions take money.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                    @1972Shocker thanks for publicizing Shocker Hall in exemplary fashion. I have eaten there on several occasions but really hadn't given it its justice on this board.

Right now, one of the best deals in town. 7 bucks and change for all you can eat of decent food is unheard of isn't it?
                    As far as the crime goes I don't think our city will want to stop the momentum created by Dr Bardo turning the campus into something special. I would anticipate this getting dealt with pretty swiftly. Of course most of those suggestions take money.
                    I was talking with the folks in the area I sit for the WBB games and none were aware that the public could dine at Shocker Hall. My guess is the is the common perception. I was unaware of that until it was mentioned here on Shockernet.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 17, 2014, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• I just ate there last Thursday with a professor. I highly recommend it. The food is really good for the price.

WSU needed Shocker Hall for at least 20 years. If it was there when I was in high school I would have stayed home and gone to WSU.

Comment

• So which dorm planned is the next to be built?

Comment

• I was looking back at the proposed drawing and noticed that there was no space between Cessna stadium and koch. Is this the proposed new building and it has been planned all along?

I also noticed that they are closing many of the parking lots. Will they shuttle more for games then?

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                            I was looking back at the proposed drawing and noticed that there was no space between Cessna stadium and koch. Is this the proposed new building and it has been planned all along?

I also noticed that they are closing many of the parking lots. Will they shuttle more for games then?
                            The plans call for multiple parking garages which is the long term plan to offset loss of parking lots, but I don't know when those are slated to be built.
                            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• What if President Bardo hired Jim Schaus as AD? I don't literally mean Jim Schaus, but a Jim Schaus type of go getter. A visionary leader for the athletic department that matches Bardo's chutzpah. Can you imagine that?

What if?
                              Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                What if President Bardo hired Jim Schaus as AD? I don't literally mean Jim Schaus, but a Jim Schaus type of go getter. A visionary leader for the athletic department that matches Bardo's chutzpah. Can you imagine that?

What if?
                                I'd be totally fine if Jim Schaus came back. What a baller.

Comment

Working...
                                X