2008 Royals - Spring Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KC Shox Grad
    Tomko, Nomo, or Maroth for the 4 and 5 spot coming out of spring training. I really would like Hudson or Hochevar to be in the starting lineup by mid season, cause the sense I get is that they need a little more seasoning before taking over the starting roles.
    They aren't Johan Santanas, but you have to be pleased with some of the free agent starters that Moore is signing. Tomko, Nomo, Maroth. These guys aren't world-beaters, but they each had their solid moments, and can provide some depth. No more calling up Eduardo Villacis.

It will be very interesting to see who emerges as the fourth and fifth guys in the rotation. I can't wait for the season to start!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

I'd love to see Hudson and Hochevar win them but don't see it happening. If a vet like Tomko can be solid it'd be nice to have someone with more experience in the rotation. But I'd love to see a lefty like Bale or De La Rosa win a spot as well.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Id expect Luke to be up by or at the All Star break.
        Let him log some innings on the AAA level first.

Comment

Hudson needs to spend some time in Omaha to get back into a regular pitching rotation. What's it been, a year and a half since he pitched regularly?

I want to see Hochevar either perform as a starter in Omaha or get a bullpen spot in KC. I'd like to see him develop confidence in one of those two roles before putting him into the Royals' rotation.

De La Rosa (he's still here, right?), Tomko, Maroth and Nomo can fight for 4 and 5.

Comment

Looks like Lumsden will get a look as well. I would also like to see at least one lefty in the rotation. De La Rosa would be my choice as he is 4 years younger than Maroth and 7 year younger than Bale who they are also mentioning as a candidate. How soon we forget about Kyle Davies, who at 24 and with options might be starting the season in Omaha. The bullpen looks solid, Mahay and Gobble give the Royals to pretty solid lefties coming out of the pen.

I also see where ex first round pick Mike Stodolka is a non roster invitee as a first baseman. Maybe he can become the Royals Rick Ankiel.
            THERE ARE FLOCKS OF BIRDS AND MANY A CAT ------ BUT ONLY ONE WUSHOCK!

Comment

Originally posted by SekShocker
              Looks like Lumsden will get a look as well. I would also like to see at least one lefty in the rotation. De La Rosa would be my choice as he is 4 years younger than Maroth and 7 year younger than Bale who they are also mentioning as a candidate. How soon we forget about Kyle Davies, who at 24 and with options might be starting the season in Omaha. The bullpen looks solid, Mahay and Gobble give the Royals to pretty solid lefties coming out of the pen.

I also see where ex first round pick Mike Stodolka is a non roster invitee as a first baseman. Maybe he can become the Royals Rick Ankiel.
              minus the HGH??

Comment

Originally posted by SekShocker
                I think the only way he's going to make the roster is to beat out Dayton Moore favorite Ryan Shealy or solid utility man Ross Gload. I don't see it happening for Mike unless a few people get hurt.
                "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                -- Yogi Berra

Comment

It depends on if Shealy actually comes back this year and can produce anything.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I really liked having Gload in the lineup. He played pretty decent for us last year.
                    Hes not a star nor a long term thing but Shealy sucked it up last year. Hopefully he can come back and put in a full season and show those signs of beeing really good he did a couple of years ago

Comment

This is the year for Shealy to produce or find a new home.

With Gload being a versatile lefty, I'd like to see him platoon with Shealy at 1st, at least to start the season. If Shealy does well, start working him into games with a righty starter. If that proves successful, the job is his.

Comment

Gload is just a ballplayer. Gotta love him. Plays hard every day. Runs the bases well. He's not an easy out at the dish. But you really don't win a lot if he's starting 90 games at first base. I think Shealy's done, barring any Craig Brazell-type power surges at AAA.

Butler and Gload will share first base duties. Butler needs to be an everyday starter, either at DH or 1B. If the Royals are serious about having him in the field, he needs to be out there. I've also heard that Teahan may get some time at first, and even some time at third.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

All reports say that Butler has done well and is working hard every day on improving his play at first. He'll definitely share duties there and he'll, as well as KC, will be better off for it.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Did anybody else here Rob Neyer on 810 the other day? He said Butler has the potential to be a Frank Thomas or Edgar Martinez type bat. I think all Royals fans would be pleased with that, but I too am hoping he can make it as a first baseman and not be relegated to just the DH role, but if he rakes like the Big Hurt or Edgar I guess I could live with that.
                            THERE ARE FLOCKS OF BIRDS AND MANY A CAT ------ BUT ONLY ONE WUSHOCK!

Comment

any body know what our pitching rotation is gonna look like
                              Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234
                                any body know what our pitching rotation is gonna look like
                                Here's my guess.

- All male.
                                - Between 5'8" and 6'6".
                                - Will be either right or left handed.
                                - All over the age of 21.
                                - Each will start approximately every 5th game.
                                - They will throw the ball really fast (between 85 and 99 MPH).
                                - Each will wear a hat.

Comment

Working...
                                X