Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Was just going to post about this.

Dude just WALKED in. SRO was not there at the time (perhaps a nothingburger). Took law enforcement 40 EFFING-MINUTES to go in and end the dude. What in the every-living fark? I mean really... WTF!

The law enforcement community in the Uvalde area might as well just go ahead and quit, sell their houses, and move somewhere else FAR away. They will be persona non grata in the area for the remainder of their lives. If this is all true.
    I was floored when I heard how long he was in there. When I heard a border patrol agent stopped him, I assumed that he was probably one of the first on the scene and acted swiftly. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if he just got fed up with waiting and went in by himself. But who knows. Gut wrenching to think those kids spent time thinking someone was going to come save them the longer they endured and then despair when it never did.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

I was floored when I heard how long he was in there. When I heard a border patrol agent stopped him, I assumed that he was probably one of the first on the scene and acted swiftly. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if he just got fed up with waiting and went in by himself. But who knows. Gut wrenching to think those kids spent time thinking someone was going to come save them the longer they endured and then despair when it never did.
      That's my understanding from what I've read, actually.

Comment

How sad is this. Truly heartbreaking.

Hero teacher Irma Garcia’s husband dies of a broken heart 2 days after Texas school shooting

Joe Garcia died in the aftermath of the Robb Elementary School shooting that killed 19 children and two teachers — including his wife of 24 years, Irma Garcia, her nephew said on Twitter.

The grief-stricken husband of a fourth-grade teacher killed in the Uvalde, Texas, school massacre died of a heart attack just two days after the mass shooting, family said on Thursday.

The Garcias leave behind four children.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          I found this article interesting food for thought. Not just as it may or may not relate to the horrific Uvalde massacre but from a more personal standpoint I have a family member that this could relate to.

Could SSRI Antidepressants Be One of the Causes Behind These Mass Shootings?

https://redstate.com/bobhoge/2022/05...otings-n570142
          Jesus help us if we start blaming these medications that have saved countless lives (my own included).

They are not for everyone, but I have personal experience with myself and friends that have gone through similar issues and SSRI's have saved us from a very dark path.

I do think doctors do prescribe them a little too willy-nilly, but the benefits of them for 99.9% of the population far outwrigh the risk. The .1% could be avoided by doctors being a little more careful with them, but headlines like that and getting the media blame train (violent video games, hip hop music, etc.) on SSRIs would be a massive step back in the mental health field.

Edit: I took the time to get over my initial anger at that headline and read the article. SSRI's did give me that "not caring" feeling that was describe in the article when I was prescribed a dose FAR too high for me. To get to the level of being able to commit an act like a mass shooting would have to be gross malpractice on the part of a doctor - my understanding is you start low and work your way up if it isn't enough, not the other way around. When my dose was perfected, I went from not caring even without them to finally feeling like a functioning human again.

The claim that 37% of the killers had recently been on or gone off their meds tells the story - I'd bet the farm, the house, and the cat that a large majority of that number is ones who recently stopped taking their meds, which comes with a whole host of withdrawls and side effects that really **** with your psyche.

Also, that article mentioning cannabis as one of the potential causes is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever seen published. That'd be like claiming LSD made you more likely to kill someone (on purpose)
          Last edited by Onegreatracer; May 26, 2022, 09:49 PM.
          Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post
            Also, that article mentioning cannabis as one of the potential causes is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever seen published. That'd be like claiming LSD made you more likely to kill someone (on purpose)
            The author himself did not make this claim. He sited someone esle who made that claim. The author posited that perhaps the cocktail of marijuana use combined with SSRI or similar meds might create a toxic cocktail that may have contributed to their psychosis. Whether or not this has been studied he doesn't say.

The author's conclusion was:

In conclusion, I’m not arguing that SSRI medication should be pulled from the market, or that anti-depressants are somehow inherently evil. Simply put, I’m not an “anti-medication advocate.” Depression is a serious problem, and medication has done a lot of good for a lot of people, most of whom don’t go out and mow down innocents. Rather, I just wish that ... a comprehensive study of this phenomenon would take place.
            We all know medicines can effect different people differently. That's why they all have multiple side effects. The problem is we have no way of knowing how any particular person may be effected by taking these or any meds. So not sure anything could be done if you could establish a causal link in a small number of cases. And as you say maybe the problem is they are not staying on the meds as prescribed which seems like a very good possibility. Which would argue for some kind of monitoring to try to improve compliance. I also agree with you that these meds as are other are perhaps over-prescribed and perhaps mis-prescribed at times.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 26, 2022, 10:25 PM.

Comment

The author himself did not make this claim. He sited someone who argues it is. The author he posited that perhaps the cocktail of marijuana use combined with SSRI or similar meds might create a toxic cocktail that may have contributed to their psychosis. Whether or not this has been studied he doesn't say.
              Thank you for clarifying. That makes much more sense to me. I had a friend who had to spend a few days in a mental hospital due to a bad reaction of cannabis and mental health medication although I don't believe it was SSRIs.

The human mind is absurdly fragile sometimes despite being extremely strong other times. My experiences with the yellow sunshine taught me that lesson and I've been extremely careful with mine ever since.
              Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

How sad is this. Truly heartbreaking.

Hero teacher Irma Garcia’s husband dies of a broken heart 2 days after Texas school shooting

Joe Garcia died in the aftermath of the Robb Elementary School shooting that killed 19 children and two teachers — including his wife of 24 years, Irma Garcia, her nephew said on Twitter.

The grief-stricken husband of a fourth-grade teacher killed in the Uvalde, Texas, school massacre died of a heart attack just two days after the mass shooting, family said on Thursday.

The Garcias leave behind four children.

Fortunately, good people all over the world are supporting these families with some financial assistance.

I found 2 for this family totaling more than $2 million and another for all families in the $3.5 million range.

I realize it will never replace the kids or parents.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post

You live up in the bush, no? You’re telling me you couldn’t deal with anything that comes your way with a lever gun?
                    Lol. You watch too much tv.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

Lol. You watch too much tv.
                      OK, McCandless.
                      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

I had typed up a lengthy timeline of the cascading failures and lies of law enforcement and by the time I had finished the story had already gotten worse. This article is in the same position. Not a fault of the author as the story changes by the hour. Never for the better.

Of course all we can talk about is the response from law-enforcement because we know we’re not going to do anything about an 18-year-old with mental health issues being able to walk into a store and buy two AR15’s and a **** load of ammo.
                        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

You’re mistake is that your statement says that most policemen are just like Chauvin. Chauvin was definitely in the wrong.
                          That's not at all what my statement says. But the bad ones like Chauvin are protected more often than not by their thin blue line family which spreads some of the blame around. Most cops mean well. Most cops also back the bad cops be sure they have an us vs them mentality which leads to public distrust and only empowers the bad cops who will continue to abuse their power. If they truly policed their own and took care of thr **** heads law enforcement would be in a much better place.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

There have been 13 mass school shootings since 1966, too many.

Comment

If you're not old enough to drink liquor ...
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                If you're not old enough to drink liquor ...
                                You shouldn't be sent off to die for your country. Or for other people's countries that have no real importance to Americans
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X