No announcement yet.

Sliver of Hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We all know I have a weakness for dogs.

Fishermen Save 38 Dogs From Drowning In Mississippi's Grenada Lake

Today's good news story comes from Grenada, Mississippi.

Helena native Bob Gist, a State Farm insurance agent in Jonesboro, became an unexpected hero while crappie fishing on Lake Grenada in Mississippi. What started as a peaceful fishing trip turned into a dramatic rescue mission that saved the lives of 38 distressed dogs.

Bob, accompanied by a friend and their fishing guide, set out on Lake Grenada, which spans over a mile and a half wide in some areas. As they were navigating the lake, they spotted a large number of dogs swimming far from the shore.

"These dogs were so far out the three men figured they needed to check on them," the social media post said. "Reaching the dogs they realized there were dogs everywhere. They could tell the dogs were in distress. Where the heck did all these dogs come from and how did they end up in the middle of the lake?"

Upon reaching the dogs, they discovered the animals were part of a Fox Run event at the lake. Each dog had large numbers painted on its side and wore expensive E-collars. The dogs had chased a deer into the lake and ended up lost and disoriented, unable to find the shore.

Bob and his crew sprang into action, pulling as many dogs as they could into their boat and transporting them to shore, where their anxious owners awaited. They made several trips back and forth, rescuing as many dogs as they could find.

Just as they thought their mission was complete, an owner with a GPS tracker informed them that four more dogs were still in the water. Bob and his team, accompanied by the owner, set out once more. They found the four dogs, who were nearly too exhausted to stay afloat, and managed to save them just in time.

"Bob told me they grabbed the last four dogs as they were sinking under water," the post stated.

In total, Bob, his friend, and the fishing guide rescued 38 dogs, all of whom had been treading water for nearly an hour.
    Sounds like every dog was saved.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• This is a bit different as this one starts with tragedy, but it sounds like they've come a long way in a year.

KAKE - News crews were invited inside The Covenant School. It wasn't easy, but I accepted the warm invitation.

A small K-6 school in Green Hills was thrust into the spotlight after a deadly mass shooting.

The Covenant School kept a low-profile before the shooting on March 27, 2023. When six innocent members of the school community were killed on campus, everything changed.

I know firsthand that Covenant is a special place. My mother-in-law Diana Apple has worked at Covenant since it opened in 2001. She survived the shooting. When the shooter entered the building, she was taking a break off-campus.

For the first time since the senseless tragedy, the school invited news crews inside. It wasn't easy, but I accepted the warm invitation and visited the school on Tuesday.

From the moment you walk into the redesigned school, you can't help but smile. Hundreds of floating, bright origami cranes greet you just steps from the new front desk.

Trudy Waters, the new Head of School, told the pack of journalists that the beautiful paper birds were one of many gifts given to Covenant.

"When the events of March 27th happened, there was a gentleman in California who actually sent 209 to give to each of the students who were here," said Trudy Waters.

Reporters were told the point of the media tour was to show and express to everyone that the school's come a long way thanks to donations and prayers.

"We just are thankful. It's just hard to hold that really hard and really hopeful in the same space, and we've had to learn to do it, so we want to share that out," Waters said.

At times, it made me sad to be in the space where a mass shooter killed three students and three staff members. The intentional changes, like rainbows everywhere you look, lifted my spirits.

Rainbows mean a lot to the school community. Days after the shooting, a double rainbow appeared over the school. In the Bible, God set a rainbow in the sky as a sign of his covenant with every living creature.

Waters told the media she's proud of the playful, inviting feel of their school — which has been through so much.

"It has been good to be here," she said.

Some notable names like Billy Joel have made contributions to the school. The music legend's foundation donated new lighting and sound systems for the theater, technology for teaching and learning and an array of new instruments, including a piano.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
      X