No announcement yet.

Sliver of Hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'A Big Ol Blubbering Mess': Navy Veteran Tears Up Reading Comments After Cafe Shares His Story Online

Today's good news story comes from Pensacola, Florida.

In Pensacola, a heartwarming story has emerged about a devoted US Navy veteran known as Mr. Lee, whose daily ritual at the Scenic 90 Cafe has captured the community's admiration.

Having served in the US Navy for over three decades, Mr. Lee, now in his late 80s, starts each morning with a visit to the local diner for breakfast. Kelli Gomez, a server at the café, has been attending to Mr. Lee for at least a year and shared that he enjoys sitting at the counter, regaling the staff with stories about his life, especially memories involving his wife and children.

His presence at the café, always occupying the first seat at the counter, has become a consistent and cherished part of the staff's daily routine.

A Facebook post featuring a photo of Mr. Lee caught the attention of the online community, drawing focus to his helpful nature. The photo captured Mr. Lee separating coffee filters, a task he began doing after observing the staff's efforts.

"This is Mr Lee. He comes in every day for breakfast (sometimes twice a day), watching us fill the ice bins, squeeze the OJ, and even helps us out separating coffee filters. He loves our company, but we love his even more," the café wrote in the post.

The social media post prompted an outpouring of positive comments.

"Y'all brought tears to Mr. Lee’s eyes!" the café staff wrote in an update. "Today we welcomed Mr. Lee back to his spot for breakfast (and lunch!) and shared your thousands of likes & comments to our post. He teared up, we teared up, and it was a big ol blubbering mess."
    They plan on celebrating his 90th birthday this March and are having people send in/drop off birthday cards for Mr. Lee. Apparently there's also a gift card they have set up that people can call in and add to, to help pay for his meals.

This reminds me a bit of an older man that comes into Spaulding's in Andover all of the time. I believe his name is Teddy and I think I heard him once say he was 90, or almost 90. He sits at the same spot at the bar (where the servers pick up their drink orders) and helps by taking the receipts and putting them on the little spike thing they use. He's adored by the staff and patrons alike. Heck, last time I was in the bar was full and he walked to his spot. Normally, people will move down to give him his seat, but there was nowhere to move. One gentleman on the other end took his chair down to Teddy and gave it to him so he could sit at the end like always. The nice man then went back to his spot at the bar and stood the rest of the time.

Things like this make me feel good. The elderly can really feel alone and isolated and that's not good for anyone. If they've lost their significant others and the kids are gone or moved away, it can be hard. Giving them a place to call home, or a group of friends/family that give them love and respect can go a long way in giving them the feeling of value in life.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I find so much joy in these pieces about working to rehab and restore certain populations.

A Pair of Rare Singing Gibbons Released into the Wild Bring Hope for Species (Video)

In Sumatra’s first-ever rehabilitation center for a special kind of singing primate, their first two residents not only recovered from stints in illegal captivity, but have also been reintroduced successfully back into the wild.

Siamang gibbons are famous for their various calling tones which they generate with their large throat sacks and can be heard from 2 miles away. For this reason, they’re often taken and sold illegally as pets.

The Aspinall Foundation teamed up with national and local government ministries in Indonesia to create a dedicated rehabilitation center at a place called Punti Kayu in the southern reaches of the island of Sumatra.

Here, siamang gibbons held by wildlife authorities or captured by police can re-learn how to live alongside other members of their species, how to find food, how to pursue their monogamous relationships, and how to call.

The center’s first resident siamangs, Jon and Cimung, were released on December 23rd into a protected forest area. Conservationists followed them as they made their way through the trees and eventually started calling—the perfect sign that their wild instincts were intact.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• And then there are always these stories of kids being heroes.

Teens' Heroic Rescue: Swimmers Save English Tourists From Drowning

Today's good news story comes from Barbados.

In a stunning display of courage and quick thinking, two Montreal teenagers, Emma Bassermann and Zoe Meklensek-Ireland, both competitive swimmers, recently became unlikely heroes while boogie boarding in Barbados.

The incident unfolded when the girls heard a desperate cry for help while heading in from their swim.

"I heard someone yelling for help in the distance. I was looking around for her and I spotted her, about 50 feet out from where I was," Zoe, 13, told Global News.

The distressed woman, identified as Belinda Stone from London, England, informed Zoe that her husband, Robert Stone, was even further out and struggling to swim.

Without hesitation, Zoe and 14-year-old Emma sprang into action, risking their own safety to rescue the Stones.

After towing Belinda back to shore, the girls embarked on a five or six-minute swim through challenging waves to reach Robert, who was approximately 150 feet from shore. "When we reached him, he was trying to swim but we could tell he was struggling. He was breathing very heavily," Zoe recounted. Despite the difficult conditions, they successfully brought him back to safety.
        News clip at the bottom of the article.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Inspiring story, even if we know the end will be sad.

WBJ - Documentary follows woman with ALS who has completed marathons in all 50 U.S. states

A North Carolina woman diagnosed with the terminal neurodegenerative disease ALS will be the subject of a documentary airing in Wichita next week about her journey to complete a marathon in all 50 U.S. states.

Called "Go On, Be Brave," the 110-minute documentary follows Andrea Lytle Peet, who decided after five years living with ALS to take on the "craziest goal she could think of."

Regal will screen the film Jan. 17 — one night only — in 51 cities. In Wichita, the showing is at 7:30 p.m. at Regal Warren West.
          I've known two people from my small hometown that have been diagnosed with ALS. Both in a short period of time. One, we lost after maybe a year or so. Watching his decline was tough, especially having known him all my life. He was such a jovial character and a staple of the community. The other has moved to Arizona I believe to be closer to his kids and last I heard he's beaten the odds and is still with us. He was also a staple of our community for years and I used his services a few times for minor issues with my car as a youth. It's a really shitty disease.

In 2014, Peet, a distance runner and city planner in Raleigh, North Carolina, was diagnosed with ALS at the age of 33.

Impacting the brain's ability to communicate with rest of the body, life expectancy for those living with the disease is typically between 2 to 5 years, with patients over time losing the ability to walk, talk, swallow and eventually breathe.

Within six months, Peet went from completing a 70.3-mile triathlon to walking with a cane. As the disease progressed, she bought a recumbent trike to compete in what she thought would be her last race before her death.

"I am tired of waiting around for this disease to kill me," she said, and decided to compete across the nation to inspire others with her story.

After finishing seven races, Peet decided to start filming a documentary about her journey.

In 2020, she finished the Little Apple Marathon in Manhattan, Kansas — her 23rd race.

And in May 2022, she became the first person with ALS to complete a race in all 50 states — her last one was in Prince of Wales Island, Alaska.
          Proceeds from the film go to support ALS research.

Peet has been invited by the Greater Wichita Sports Commission to participate in the Prairie Fire Marathon this coming October.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/hund...-plummet/]When Dog Shelter Makes Appeal for Homes as Temps Plummet Below Zero People Arrive in Droves[/url]

An animal shelter in Krakow was left without words after a weekend of action saw lines out of the door of people who came in to temporarily adopt a dog in the face of an onrushing cold front.

Dubbed “Operation Frost,” the KTOZ Schronisko, or animal shelter, asked on Friday the 5th if anyone interested in adopting a dog could come in immediately as the weather over the first weekend of January was predicted to fall to -5°F.

“Due to the fact that some of our animals live in kennels, we urgently need to make room for them in a closed pavilion,” the shelter wrote on Facebook, according to a proprietary translation from Polish.

The shelter was also asking folks to consider opening their homes for merely a few days of foster care, but what they got instead was a late-Christmas miracle.

This is what it looked like Saturday morning.

And it kept on going through Sunday.

“This was an emotional but very challenging day for our staff and volunteers,” after closing on Sunday. “The amount of people that visited our shelter seemed endless and it is absolutely beautiful.”

By that time the shelter had seen over 100 canines find temporary or permanent homes.
            There are some social media posts within the article. I always say we don't deserve dogs, but sometimes, we do a pretty good job of trying to.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• She has the opportunity to truly be an inspiration to many and to give hope to those who have struggled for so long with weight and weight loss.

46-Year-Old Woman Loses 154 Pounds, Wins Mrs. Alabama And Becomes Model

Dana Bradley, a 46-year-old woman from Hartselle, has recently been crowned Mrs. Alabama International in her debut pageant.

Bradley, a mother and homemaker, embarked on a remarkable journey after her doctor's warning four years ago.

Motivated by the tragic loss of her own mother due to neglecting health, Bradley took charge of her well-being. Since 2020, she has shed an impressive 154 pounds through a combination of diligent workouts and a balanced diet.

Bradley said she lost her weight naturally through hard work and diet, and she's now working to become a certified personal trainer. Her transformation has already attracted some clients who trust her.

"What makes me different than the regular health coach- I've struggled, I've been overweight," Bradley said. "I have navigated a lot of the obstacles that these people that I coach are going through."

As Mrs. Alabama International, Bradley's platform centers around fitness and wellness. In February, she will walk in New York Fashion Week as a model for Marc Defang and is set to compete for Mrs. International in Kingsport, Tennessee, in July.

"Today I love seeing the transformation, the amazing story that unfolded in my life, all because I put myself first," Bradley said. "I love seeing how much my body, my face, my skin, my happiness, my mentality changed as I took control of my health. Ultimately my entire life.

The before photos I do have are my most valued possessions. I am so proud of who I was and how hard I worked to give me the healthy life I have today.

That girl on the left, she was tired, exhausted, stressed, anxious, heavy set girl - SHE is my absolute hero and I love her so much. I’m very grateful to her every day for believing in herself to make those powerful changes."

There's also a news clip at the bottom (2:33) if you're interested.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                She has the opportunity to truly be an inspiration to many and to give hope to those who have struggled for so long with weight and weight loss.

46-Year-Old Woman Loses 154 Pounds, Wins Mrs. Alabama And Becomes Model

There's also a news clip at the bottom (2:33) if you're interested.
                OMG! Watched the video. Great for her! Great for her family because she will most likely be around longer and enjoy life more in general with them.

Comment

• This is amazing.

Watch the Pandemonium as Hockey Fans Break Record Hurling 75,000 Teddy Bears Onto the Ice for Charity

A professional ice hockey team in Pennsylvania broke a franchise record last week, not for goals scored, but for the number of teddy bears tossed onto the ice by fans to help local kids.

The plush pandemonium broke out in the second period as the Hershey Bears scored a goal to trigger the annual Teddy Bear Toss that collects toys for charity—while the announcer screamed, “Let the sweet cuddly mayhem commence!”

The exuberant downpour of plushies began 4 minutes into the second period at the Giant Center last week, with 74,599 stuffed toys raining down.

“You see it on video, but when you’re actually part of it, it was amazing. Just an incredible sight,” said Bears coach Todd Nelson.

“First, you’re celebrating the goal, and then you start getting pelted with bears,” said new Hershey player Chase Priskie, experiencing the event for the first time. “It’s just a phenomenal atmosphere when tens of thousands of bears start raining down on you.”

The event surpassed the club’s previous record of 67,309 teddies collected last year for donation to more than 35 local charities as part of the club’s Hershey Bears Cares program.

Since its inception in 2001, the tradition has collected nearly a half million cuddly creatures for children in need.
                  There's video at the bottom of the article. The goal that set it off was also pretty impressive. I'm still not sure how it found it's way into the net.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Opened this one thinking it would end up in the medical thread, but after reading, I think it belongs here. We really do have some brilliant and ambitious young people and more of them deserve to be recognized.

Indian Teen Invents Gadget to Transform Dementia Care Out of Concern for His Grandmother

An Indian teen who is a self-confessed ‘nerd’ who loves robotics, also loved his grandmother Jayasree dearly. Together, they led him to create a new invention that could greatly improve care for Alzheimer’s patients.

Hemesh Chadalavada was 12 years old when one summer evening in 2018, he observed his grandmother go to the kitchen to make tea for herself. When she exited the room, she had left the gas on.

It shocked Hemesh, but also drove him to convert the hours spent on YouTube learning about robotics into a solution that would help ensure accidents like this could be detected if he weren’t there—a question he found himself asking several times.

Jayasree was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s the year before, and in 2023 passed away from the delibating neurodegenerative disease.

By then, Hemesh had invented the Alpha Monitor, a badge-like monitoring device that sends out alerts if the person wearing it wanders off or falls.

“She used to get up at 3 or 4 in the morning and go outside, thinking she was on a train,” Hemesh told the Guardian, who developed the wearable with information gleaned from a visit to a care center run by Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India.

They told him that it couldn’t be a watch because the patients often take them off if they’re heavy or uncomfortable, and that it couldn’t use Bluetooth, which has a very limited range. Even though still in high school, Hemesh was determined to get his wearable ready for manufacture.

In 2022 he beat 18,000 entries to win a Samsung-sponsored science fair called Samsung Solve for Tomorrow, from which he pocketed a $120,000 grant and the opportunity to mentor under some of Samsung’s most experienced engineers.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• 'He Didn't Give Me A Name': Amazon Driver Shovels Snow For Man In Wheelchair

Today's good news story comes from Mentor, Ohio.

An Amazon delivery driver went above and beyond his duties to shovel a snow-covered driveway for Don Wheeler, a man who has been in a wheelchair for two decades.

For Wheeler, shoveling snow is a time-consuming task that can take hours, if not days, given his wheelchair-bound condition. He shared the struggles of trying to manage this task, especially when on disability. Calling a company for assistance is often financially daunting for someone on a fixed income.

However, fate took a warm turn when Wheeler received a message indicating that his package was the next delivery. Expecting the usual routine, Wheeler prepared to meet the Amazon driver outside. Little did he know that this encounter would bring more than just a package.

As Wheeler waited, the Amazon driver not only delivered his package promptly but also engaged in a selfless act of kindness. Hearing the sounds of shoveling, Wheeler was surprised to see the delivery driver clearing his snow-covered ramp.

"He didn't give me a name. He didn't give me, 'Hey, post me on this so I can get the likes,' it was purely from the heart," Wheeler told News 5, emphasizing the genuine nature of the gesture.

Despite not knowing the driver's identity, Wheeler hopes to meet him again and applauds the anonymous Good Samaritan for bringing a sense of humanity back to normalcy in a rapidly changing world.

In a surprising revelation, Wheeler discovered that the driver didn't just do his house but also others.

"My heart wants to cry with joy. It does mean an awful lot. See, I'm getting emotional about it," Wheeler said.
                      Never forget that there are some truly amazing people in this world with good hearts. That's mostly why this thread was started. Despite the negativity the news puts out for us to consume, most of us are good people who want the best for those around us. It's nice to be reminded of that from time to time.

There's a video at the bottom of the article where Mr. Wheeler got to meet the Amazon driver.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Radio Hosts Surprise Girl With Taylor Swift Tickets After Horrible Scam

Today's good news story comes from Melbourne, Australia.

In a heartwarming turn of events, popular Australian morning radio show hosts Kyle and Jackie O have come to the rescue of a devastated family who fell victim to a ticket scam. The unsuspecting family was left heartbroken after losing $1200 to fraudulent Taylor Swift concert tickets.

Kelly shared their unfortunate experience on air with Kyle and Jackie O. She revealed that her sister, Sam, was crushed after realizing that the tickets she had purchased were fake.

"She saved up for these [tickets] obviously to make Charlie's year... and now [she has] no money to buy tickets even if some do become available," Kelly shared.

Without wasting any time, Kyle and Jackie O mobilized their team and arranged for a surprise visit to the family's home. Charlie, the daughter of Sam, had no idea that her world was about to change. Over the phone, with emotions running high, Kyle delivered the incredible news to the little girl.

"Hi Charlie, Kyle and Jackie O have come to the rescue with free concert tickets. We are going to give you our tickets so you can go see Taylor Swift for free," Kyle announced, causing an immediate eruption of joy and tears of happiness from Charlie.

Taylor Swift is set to perform seven sold-out shows in Australia in February.
                        You can listen to the audio in the link
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Family of Fallen Soldier Given Keys to New Home Built by Volunteers in N. Carolina - WATCH

14 years after the death of an Army Sgt. in Iraq, his widow and children walked into a brand new house—gifted to them in honor of his memory.

The “Hero Home #27” was built through Operation Coming Home, a mission to help injured troops and families of fallen service members, and is located in Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina.

“We thank God for everybody who had anything to do with it,” said Ava Bradley. “We appreciate everybody. Everybody.”

Staff Sgt. Juantrea Bradley is survived by Ava and two children who moved into their new house in January. Singing and ceremony, tears and tributes filled the spacious front lawn before Ava was handed the keys.

Volunteers from Garman Homes organized to build the house, but all kinds of local and national businesses donated components like windows and air conditioning to furnish the home and ensure Ms. Bradley and her kids are comfortable.
                          Two minute news clip at the bottom.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• 60 of Rock's Greatest Icons Play on New Charity Song - Answering Mark Knopfler's Call to Help Teens w Cancer

In a heartwarming display of camaraderie, dozens of guitar gods and rock music icons answered the call to produce a charity single to benefit teens with cancer, an overall effort by Mark Knopfler of the Dire Straits that has already raised hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The track features an unprecedented line-up of Knopfler’s Guitar Heroes—and ‘legendary’ does not begin to cover it: From David Gilmour to Ronnie Wood, Slash to Eric Clapton, Sting to Joan Armatrading, Bruce Springsteen to Pete Townshend, Joan Jett to Albert Lee, and Brian May to Tony Iommi, the superstars kept stepping up.

Notably, with great honor, the track opens with Jeff Beck’s final spine-tingling recording.

“Before I knew where I was, Pete Townshend had come into my studio armed with a guitar and an amp. And that first Pete power chord…man, I tell you. We were in that territory, and it was just fantastic.

“And it went on from there. Eric Clapton came in, played great, just one tasty lick after another. Then Jeff Beck’s contribution arrived and that was spellbinding. I think what we’ve had is an embarrassment of riches, really.”

The song dropping on March 15th (hear a sneak peak below) is an update of his film anthem ‘Going Home’—from Knopfler’s first foray into movies—the soundtrack to Local Hero (starring Burt Lancaster) released 41 years ago. It’s a memorable tune that is still played before every home game of the Newcastle United football club in England.

Mark’s longtime collaborator Guy Fletcher edited the contributions into a 9 minute piece with Roger Daltrey on harmonica, and Ringo Starr on drums alongside his son Zak Starkey—their two drum tracks switching from one to the other, revealing an unmistakable family style. Sting completes an extraordinary rhythm section on bass.

“(Jeff Beck’s contribution) was absolutely meant to be,” says Fletcher. “And what he did with it, it just brings you to tears.”

All the net proceeds will go to Teenage Cancer Trust in the UK and its American equivalent Teen Cancer America, which was co-founded by Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend of The Who (who also established the Daltrey/Townshend Teen and Young Adult Cancer Program at UCLA Medical Center). Further funds are being raised thanks to guitar makers who’ve donated 8 guitars to be signed by the contributing artists. 4 of the 8 have already been sold for the US charity.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Recycling Crew Didn't Stop Searching for Woman's Lost Wedding Ring Until They Found a 'Needle in a Haystack'

Finding a needle in a haystack is always easier when the needle isn’t worth thousands of dollars, but the stress of it all was borne by the trash collectors from the city of Greenville, and reunited a woman with her lost wedding band.

It was a routine stop at the local recycling center for Melanie Harper, but as she was separating plastics and paper, she accidentally separated white gold and diamonds as well.

Her wedding band slipped off into the bins and she was sure the chances of finding it were slim. Harper emailed the city’s public works department and asked them if they could keep an eye out for a glittery band amid the trash, and while she went home unoptimistic, the litter pickers and public works employees upended the whole container in a parking lot and went to work.

Sifting meticulously through the refuse, the workers epitomized the ideas of public service, and perhaps it was destiny that the man who found it was named “Golden.”

“After hours of searching, Travis Golden struck gold. White gold. They called a very grateful Melanie, who came out to PW to reunite with her ring,” read a post from the Greenville South Carolina Facebook page, which gave a shout-out to Golden and the other staff members who pitched in to find the ring. “We are so grateful for your commitment to our community.”

“Finding a needle in a haystack = hard. Finding a ring in a recycling bin = nearly impossible. Unless you’re City of Greenville Public Works, where employees truly dive into their work!” the post added.

It’s not the first time this has happened in the country recently. Last August, GNN reported that parks supervisor Lauren Perez from Corpus Christi organized the complete disruption of Monday morning trash collection in order to locate a 40-yard dumpster where she knew a 17-year-old had lost a ring containing her father’s ashes.
                              People are good.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• 6-Year-Old Saves Mother's Life During Medical Emergency

Today's good news story comes from Conover, North Carolina.

In a heartwarming tale of courage and quick thinking, 6-year-old Quinn Hill became an unexpected hero when she took decisive action during a medical emergency that saved her mother's life.

Jennifer Hill, a 39-year-old mother of three, was at home preparing dinner for Quinn and her younger brother when she suddenly began to seize. The last thing she remembered was sitting in a chair, looking up at the ceiling, and experiencing abnormal breathing. Quinn, realizing the severity of the situation, sprang into action.

Recalling the incident, Jennifer told GMA, "Quinn told me that I actually sat down in the chair that I'm sitting in right now and I looked up at the ceiling and started breathing weird. She said that I then fell out of the chair onto my left side and my fists were clenched, and my body was convulsing. My eyes were open, and she kept saying, 'Mommy, Mommy,' and I would not respond."

Undeterred, Quinn made a spontaneous decision to take her 3-year-old brother and seek help from neighbors.

"This is the first time that they've ever left our home without us," Jennifer explained. "She even told us that she looked both ways before crossing the street. But they went to one neighbor's home and they were not home, and after that, they went to the next home that they knew. And that neighbor was home and responded to the home with the children."

The neighbor promptly called 911, and Jennifer was rushed to Catawba Valley Medical Center in Hickory, North Carolina. Doctors determined that she had experienced a grand mal seizure, her first seizure ever.

Mayor Kyle J. Hayman of Conover, North Carolina, recognized Quinn's bravery and declared February 5 as "Quinn Hill Day." The mayor presented the first grader with a certificate of recognition during a city council ceremony last Monday.
                                There's a nearly two minute news clip at the bottom with mom and daughter. I am impressed that in a moment where it would be really easy for a young child to freak out with what was going on, that this kid had the wherewithal to do what she did. It's not like she had experience dealing with this.

Props to little Quinn.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X