Sliver of Hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Mother's Love Sparks A Miracle, Daughter Wakes Up After 5 Years In Coma

Today's good news story comes from Niles, Michigan.

In 2017, Jennifer Flewellen's life took a drastic turn while driving to work. After dropping her kids off at school, she felt lightheaded and veered off the road, crashing into a pole. She ended up in a serious condition and was in a coma for five years.

Throughout this challenging time, Jennifer's mother, Peggy Means, never lost hope for her daughter's recovery. Doctor's repeatedly told Peggy that Jennifer's chances of waking up were slim and that even if she did awaken she would not be able to function.

"They encouraged me, by like day two or three to take her off [life support]," Means recalled. "I said, 'No, not as of today, we're not going to do that.' And then each day, they kind of encouraged me more, and I'd say, 'No, it's in God's hands.'"

But Peggy's hope never wavered. Despite the odds, Peggy cared for Jennifer daily, maintaining a positive attitude and treating her as if she could hear.

"I'd tell her what the kids are doing, what we've been doing, and I tried to encourage her," Peggy told GMA.

"For years I would hold her hands and say 'Just squeeze my hand, Jenn. Squeeze my hand."

But she never did.

Finally, on August 25, 2022, during a walk, Jennifer laughed at a joke Peggy made. After nearly five years, Jenn woke up.

In the following weeks, with speech therapy and Peggy's support, Jennifer progressed from making small sounds to saying vowels and even spelling words. In less than a year, she returned home full-time.

Last fall, Jennifer attended her son Julian's high school football games, fulfilling a dream for both of them.
    There's a six and a half minute video at the bottom if you're interested in more.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• KAKE - 'I want them to be warm': 8-year-old Wichita girl sewing quilts for homeless

Eight-year-old Quinn has a new favorite hobby, and after getting a sewing machine for Christmas, she realized she also had a talent she could use to make a big difference.

My mom helped me make like quilts for me and my baby doll, and then I thought about it, and I asked my mom if I can do it," Quinn said. "I just thought about the homeless and what they're going through through the winter. Like they're just out there in the breeze and with nothing."

Quinn decided to put her love for sewing to a good cause by spending all of her free time after school cutting up pieces of donated materials and making warm, custom blankets to hand out to people experiencing homelessness.

As much hard work as it takes to finish each quilt, Quinn says it's a feeling money could never buy.

"Pretty happy that they're warm, and they feel like they're in a nice house," Quinn said, describing how she hopes people feel while using her quilts.

This act of kindness is something Quinn's mom, Jessie Isbell, says is nothing new.

"Pretty teary-eyed over here watching her interview. We were tearing up a lot. She's just so selfless all the time. It's nothing new for her, though. She does this regularly," Isbell said.

Quinn's little venture is now officially branded as Quilts by Quinn, and there are donation boxes set up at Hard Knox Boxing at 3940 E 13th St and at Pizza Hut in Andover, where you can donate fabrics or sewing supplies.

Once she has enough of them finished, Quinn and her mom hope to work with the city to hand out as many as possible.

As if that wasn't kind enough, Quinn also hopes to include a bottle of water and a meal with every donation.
      News clip with interview of Quinn in the link. (2 minutes)
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Brave Teen Rescues Woman In Wheelchair Seconds Before Oncoming Train

Today's good news story comes from Giles County, Tennessee.

In a heart-stopping act of heroism, 18-year-old Lilly Baker is being hailed as a savior after risking her life to rescue an elderly woman stuck on the railroad tracks last week in Tennessee.

Lilly was on her way to meet friends when she noticed an older woman struggling to navigate the railroad tracks in a wheelchair. Without hesitation, Lilly jumped out of her car and rushed over to assist. However, their attempts were thwarted as both Lilly and the elderly woman fell twice, struggling to get out of harm's way.

As the pair scrambled to their feet, Lilly suddenly realized the imminent danger - a train was fast approaching. The blaring horn and flashing lights signaled the urgency of the situation.

"He was honking his horn and the lights started flashing. I was like, 'Oh no, we gotta go now!'" Lilly recalled the terrifying moment.

With adrenaline pumping, Lilly managed to pull both herself and the elderly woman to safety just seconds before the train sped past. The narrow escape left Lilly shaken, describing it as a "near-death experience."

"It's a near-death experience, and I've never really been that close to death," she shared. The railroad company later informed her that they were only 18 inches away from being struck by the train, sending shivers down her spine.

Ardmore Police Chief Jereme Robison, recounting the incident to WKRN, said, "She barely gets herself out of the way, and the train actually still clips the lady's leg and spins her around. I mean, it was like a split second. They almost died.”

The elderly woman, though injured, is now in the hospital and expected to recover from the major leg injuries sustained during the incident. Lilly's swift and courageous actions have garnered widespread praise, with the community expressing gratitude for her selfless act that prevented a potential tragedy on the railroad tracks.
        There's a one minute news clip in the link.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I love to see this. It's really a shame when cities try to criminalize compassion.

Texas Court Unable To Find Jurors To Uphold $500 Fine For Feeding The Homeless

Today's good news story comes from Houston, Texas.

In a significant victory for humanitarian efforts, Food Not Bombs Houston emerged triumphant on Wednesday, February 14, as a federal judge issued a preliminary injunction against the City of Houston's attempts to impede the nonprofit's mission of providing free meals to the homeless.

Over the past year, the nonprofit, dedicated to feeding the homeless, faced a staggering 90 citations from the city for offering free meals near Central Library without official permission. The first jury trial, set for June 1, 2023, saw the state regrouping after the jury ruled in favor of Food Not Bombs. Undeterred, the city persisted, summoning fifteen Houstonians for a new case against the nonprofit.

However, the recent turn of events in the courtroom highlighted the resilience of Food Not Bombs' supporters. 15 potential jurors were set to decide the outcome of a case alleging a violation of Houston law by Elisa Meadows, a woman accused of feeding the homeless without the city's permission.

Roughly an hour later, the jury pool filed back out — all 15 of them. The lawyers had been unable to fill an unbiased jury, the Houston Chronicle reported.

The city's pursuit of fines, seeking a $500 penalty, faced resistance from potential jurors who expressed unwillingness to issue such sanctions even if they found the defendant guilty. Notably, Food Not Bombs Houston has yet to lose a single case, as the city struggled to secure convictions in the face of jury verdicts in favor of the nonprofit.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Going above and beyond.

Hero Garbageman Rescues Man, Woman, and Dog from House Fire

GNN often reports on lifesaving rescues by firemen, risking life and lung to pull people from burning buildings, but these two are not firemen, and are a different sort of hero.

They’re heroes, no doubt, but by trade they haul trash. Nonetheless, while working in Tipton, England, on Tuesday morning, they saw fires ripping through a small brick townhome, and rescued a man, woman, and their dog.

Steve Whitehouse and Kevin Marriott work for Serco garbage collection, and it was Whitehouse who first jumped into action.

“I saw a young woman screaming from the balcony and all I could think was that I needed to get to her as quickly as possible,” Whitehouse told the BBC.

Whitehouse climbed up to a first-floor balcony three times to rescue the trio from the flames. He first carried the woman down, but when he turned back to help the young man, he found he was shouting to his dog, still inside. Bundling the dog in a blanket, Whitehouse climbed down and told the owner throw the dog to him. After catching him, the garbageman returned up to the balcony to help the man.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Paul Skenes Is Donating $100 To The Gary Sinise Foundation For Every Strikeout

A 23-year-old baseball phenom, fresh off his collegiate successes and now a key prospect for the Pittsburgh Pirates, has announced a pledge that's sure to make a significant impact beyond the ballpark.

Paul Skenes recently took to social media platform X to share his inspiring initiative. He called upon fans, supporters, and fellow athletes to join him in supporting the Gary Sinise Foundation, a renowned organization dedicated to serving and honoring America's veterans and first responders.

"Join me this season as I support the Gary Sinise Foundation in raising funds for our nation's veterans and first responders," Skenes wrote in his post.

"I am personally donating $100 for every strikeout I record this season. Please click the link in my bio to join my mission and make your donation!"

Skenes was a standout athlete during his college years and garnered national attention for his exceptional talent as a pitcher while representing both the Air Force and the LSU Tigers. His final year at LSU was nothing short of legendary, as he shattered records and earned accolades, including the National Pitcher of the Year award and the College World Series Most Outstanding Player title.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Paul lit us up in Tucson a few years ago while still at Air Force. 3-4 with a dinger in a route.

Obviously a high quality young man.

Comment

• Comment

• Young kid saves family, community rallies to help.

Six-Year-Old Hero Saves Entire Family From Devastating House Fire

On April 4, Olivia was playing outside at a neighbor's house with a friend when she noticed the fire coming from her house.

Realizing the danger her family was in, she bravely ran into the burning house and found her mother, Laura, 29, and her younger siblings, Joel-James, one, and Tiffany, two, asleep on the sofa.

Olivia quickly woke them up and everyone escaped the fire unharmed.

"We can't believe Olivia got Laura out," said Sadie, Olivia's grandmother. "She's six-years-old and ran into a burning building."

According to Laura, the fire started in their next-door neighbor's house and rapidly spread to the roof of their three-bedroom home. Sadly, the structural damage to Laura's house is irreparable. A fire structural engineer assessed the property and confirmed that it needs to be demolished and rebuilt from scratch.

In response to the devastating loss, Laura's former colleagues have set up a fundraising page to support the Patterson family during this challenging time.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Teen Drives 16 Hours In American Flag Truck To Fulfill Dying Wish Of Oklahoma Boy

Today's good news story comes from Hollis, Oklahoma.

An Indiana teenager drove 16 hours in his American Flag truck to fulfill the dying wish of a 13-year-old cancer-stricken boy in Oklahoma.

Cameron Blasek, 17, gained viral fame for his unwavering patriotism when he refused to remove an American flag from the back of his pickup truck in his high school parking lot. His commitment to the flag led him to have his entire truck wrapped in an American Flag print.

Last Thursday, Cameron received a heartfelt message from a stranger in Hollis, Oklahoma, asking for an extraordinary favor. The message was from the family of Jaxon, a young boy who had been battling cancer since the age of two and a half. Jaxon's final wish was to be taken to his resting place in Cameron's flag-adorned truck.

Without hesitation, Cameron and his father embarked on the 16-hour journey to Oklahoma.

"This is one of those favors you drop everything you thought was important and say yes to without a second thought," Cameron's mother shared on Facebook. "I believe God had a hand in all those little things that worked up to this purpose."

Upon arrival, Cameron and his father not only transported Jaxon to his final resting place but also took him on a sentimental drive around town. For Cameron, every mile and minute spent was immensely meaningful.

"I never expected any of this from the beginning. All I wanted was to fly the flag on the back of my truck, and I'm happy that's what I got. But I'm also happy to help out other people," Cameron expressed.

Reflecting on his initial decision to stand up for his beliefs, Cameron emphasized the unifying power of the American flag.

"Like I said from day one, the flag is a symbol of unity. It's something that everybody can come together on, no matter who you are, what you look like, or where you come from."

There's a two and a half minute new story over this in the link if interested.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                      X