Sliver of Hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids do the darnedest things.

18-Year-old Uses Her Tracking Skills to Guide Hikers on Wildfire Evacuation Route

Out from the ash and flames of the wildfires that scorched Canada’s Jasper National Park comes the story of a heroic 18-year-old who saved over a dozen people.

Working as a volunteer firefighter and kitchen aide at a lodge, Colleen Knull received an evacuation order on a Monday in late July. Stepping outside she saw smoke rising up the mountainsides, and knew that there were people still camping in the area.

Alerting everyone at the lodge, she went out to gather the campers until 16 people were ready to evacuate. Darkness was falling, and getting out of the area meant a 4-hour hike across treacherous terrain.

Knull used her knowledge of the area and tracking skills to help navigate the 16 people down the trail. The group used head torches and phone flashlights to see in the darkness.

“I had previously rode up a horse up to that lodge on that same trail and throughout the way me and my employer, we had cut logs on the way up,” Knull told CTV News. “There were 67 logs, so there would be be 67 cut logs on the way down … So I used my tracking skills – following horse tracks, horse manure.”
    Some people are just built different. There's a two minute news clip about it in the link.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• This kind of fits here. Props to Sir Charles for this.

Charles Barkley Turns Down $100 Million Contracts to Ensure TNT Sports Staff Keep Their Jobs Another Year

In one of the largest shake-ups in sports broadcasting this century, Turner Sports (TNT) lost out on an 11-year rights deal to broadcast the NBA.

But while they may have lost their apex product, they didn’t lose their apex presenter, who turned down a total of $100 million in contract offers from other networks so that the team that supports him could maintain their jobs for their final year together.

Last Wednesday, Charles Barkley revealed on the Dan Le Batard Show podcast that as TNT enters the final year of its contract to broadcast the NBA, he could have ended his participation with the network and gone to sign with one of the other networks included in the new 11-year broadcasting deal.

Barkley, who signed a 10-year agreement with TNT Sports in 2022, will be entering his 25th year with the company and chose to stay onboard until the 2025-2026 season to make sure his team maintained their livelihoods.

According to People Magazine, an exit by Barkley would have been contractually sound, as the network had lost the broadcasting rights.

“I love my TNT Sports family,” Barkley said in a statement released by Turner. “My #1 priority has been and always will be our people and keeping everyone together for as long as possible.”

“We have the most amazing people, and they are the best at what they do. I’m looking forward to continuing to work with them both on the shows we currently have and new ones we develop together in the future.”
      Last edited by SubGod22; 2 weeks ago.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• 'A Lot Of People Love You': Community Unites To Fulfill A 10-Year-Old Cancer Warrior's Dream

A 10-year-old girl battling cancer received the surprise of a lifetime: tickets to see her idol, Taylor Swift, in concert.

Kennedy Coke, a vibrant and resilient young warrior, has faced more challenges in her short life than most people endure in a lifetime. Diagnosed with a rare form of cancer at just two years old, Kennedy has spent much of her childhood bravely battling the disease.

It all began when a routine visit to urgent care for a common cold led to the discovery of a lung tumor, a consequence of a rare genetic condition called DICER 1 syndrome. This syndrome makes it difficult for her body to suppress tumors, leading to multiple health battles. Despite the odds, Kennedy overcame her initial diagnosis, becoming miraculously cancer-free after enduring chemotherapy and numerous treatments.

However, Kennedy’s journey took another difficult turn in January 2024, when doctors discovered thyroid tumors during a routine scan. She underwent surgery and once again showed incredible resilience. But just six months later, her condition worsened, and doctors found an aggressive uterine cancer. Now, at just 10 years old, Kennedy faces the daunting prospect of a hysterectomy followed by more chemotherapy.

As she prepared for yet another battle, Kennedy’s spirit began to wane. Her mother, Jodi Hill Coke, knew her daughter needed something to lift her up and give her hope. Kennedy, a huge Taylor Swift fan, dreamed of attending the pop star’s Eras Tour, but with the tour’s tickets selling for thousands of dollars, it seemed an impossible dream.

That’s when the community stepped in. A GoFundMe campaign was launched to help make Kennedy’s dream come true, and the response was overwhelming. Strangers from all over donated more than $16,000, wanting to bring joy to a little girl who has fought so hard for so long.

In a touching TikTok video, Jodi surprised Kennedy with the tickets. As she handed her daughter the envelope, Jodi told her, “A lot, a lot of people love you very much.” Kennedy’s face lit up with joy as she realized her dream had come true. “Kennedy’s dream came true!!! After her first 12 weeks of chemo, she will be going to the Eras Tour!” Jodi captioned the video.

Kennedy will be attending Taylor Swift’s concert on November 3, the final U.S. date of the tour. For Kennedy, this isn’t just a concert; it’s a beacon of hope and a reminder that she is surrounded by love and support from countless people who believe in her strength.

This incredible act of kindness has given Kennedy a reason to keep fighting, proving once again that the power of community, love and compassion can bring light to even the darkest of times.
        I can't imagine what this poor girl goes through, or her parents for that matter, knowing that she will constantly be under the threat of cancer and having to continuously fight one form or another. It has to be tough, and expensive. Bless all of those who were able to donate to this little girl so she could have something special to look forward to. You never know how long she may have in this world, especially with her condition, and this gift is very special for that girl.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Community Rallies Behind Kids After Lemonade Stand Robbery, Raises $6,200 In A Day

Today's good news story comes from Chesapeake, Virginia.

What started as a disappointing day for two young siblings, Rebecca and Joshua Caldwell, quickly turned into an inspiring beacon of hope and community support.

The story began last week when the siblings, eager to earn a little pocket money, set up a lemonade stand in their driveway. But what was supposed to be a fun summer activity took a sudden turn when a man approached their stand, acting interested in buying lemonade, and then stole their money jar.

The incident, captured on the family’s home security camera, showed the thief making off with about $40 in cash.

News of the robbery spread quickly through the Caldwell’s neighborhood and beyond, sparking outrage and a strong desire to make things right for the kids. Determined not to let this experience dampen their spirits, Rebecca and Joshua set up their lemonade stand again the following Saturday.

What happened next was nothing short of remarkable.

More than 600 people from the community came out to support the siblings. Firefighters, police officers, City Council members, and even members of a couple of motorcycle groups rolled up to the Caldwell home to buy lemonade.

By the end of the day, Rebecca and Joshua had raised an astounding $6,200—far exceeding the amount they lost.

Police have captured and arrested the 19-year-old man responsible for the robbery. The kids told the local news station they have already forgiven him.
          That may be the most successful day of lemonade stand sales ever.

There's a four minute news clip in the link if interested.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I've always felt that giving inmates a way to better themselves while in prison would better serve them and society as a whole. Sure, it wouldn't have the desired impact on everyone as nothing would, but there are definitely better approaches we can take to help rehabilitate rather than just punish those who find themselves in prison. When you just throw them in and essentially forget about them as people, often times little will change by the time they're released and in many cases they may be in a worse place.

This program, while small, I think will show that there are ways to reach people and have an impact on them while they're serving their time and they will be better people when they are released.

The dogs get a massive assist in this one as well.

Inmates Training Hard-to-Adopt Dogs in New Mexico Creates Joy On Both Ends of a Leash

A no-kill animal shelter charity was invited to start an inmate dog training program at the Southern New Mexico Correctional Facility last year—and now joy and fulfillment are being created on both sides of the leash.

The ongoing program has helped the inmates to develop compassion and to comply with rules. Their task is to socialize the dogs and teach basic obedience that will get the fur-babies adopted more easily.

Eight inmates at the Las Cruces prison are now caring for 4 dogs in the program. The inmates have become so devoted to their mission that they held a fundraiser to help pay for program’s costs.

Diana Bell, a volunteer with the charity called Deming Animal Guardians, told GNN that one of the program’s requirements at the beginning was to hire a dog trainer: “This is a significant expense for our small charity but we were committed to give it a try, since we saw it as a win-win opportunity.”

They were pleasantly surprised when they received a check from the inmates themselves.

The dog trainees asked a staff member to purchase items from Sam’s Club which were then packaged and sold as “toiletry kits”. They advertised the program inside the prison and managed to net $350—especially because many inmates, even if they aren’t participating, love seeing the dogs on the grounds.
            These dogs as well as the inmates are better off for this program.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I really like this story. It started 170 years ago and the bond is still shared today between two unlikely nations.

Choctaw Nation Unveils 'Sister Sculpture' For Irish People - Honoring the Heart Connection Forged 170 Years Ago

In the Choctaw Nation’s territory in Oklahoma, a knotted statue has been erected by tribal leaders to honor a cross-continental connection over 170 years old.

The “Eternal Heart” sculpture, combining a heart with a Celtic trinity shape, was designed to honor the eternal bond forged between the Choctaw Nation and the most unlikely of people: the Irish.

In 1847, when Ireland was experiencing years of starvation due to a potato blight, the North American Choctaw tribe joined a compassionate campaign in the U.S. to help these strangers a whole ocean away from them.

Despite their own suffering, having been forced to relocate hundreds of miles from their native land, the tribe pooled their pennies and raised $170 (almost $5,000 in today’s currency) to send to Midleton in County Cork through a relief fund.

9 years ago, a soaring silver monument to honor these donations was unveiled in Cork—and Choctaw leaders were invited to the grand unveiling.

“The bond between our nations has strengthened over the years,” Chief Batton said at the time. “We are blessed to have the opportunity to share our cultures, and meet the generous people who have continued to honor a gift from the heart.”

In 2020, during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Navajo and Hopi nations were experiencing high rates of infection, and the Irish saw their moment to demonstrate that they remembered the kindness shown to them by America’s native peoples. $2.7 million was raised for water and supplies by Irish donors through a GoFundMe, with many leaving messages of remembrance and hope.

“Ours is a debt that can never be repaid, but please consider this a small token of love and solidarity from your Irish brothers and sisters. Praying for the strength, wellbeing and prosperity of your community always” said Caroline Kelly, adding a Gaelic message of unity. “Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireann na daoine.”

“When the Choctaw people had nothing, they gave Ireland all they could at a time when we needed it most. I know it’s not much, but I hope this helps our friends in their time of need,” added Ciaran Mc brearty.

One of the truly wild parts of this historical story is that the people of 19th century Ireland who ultimately benefitted from the Choctaw donations didn’t learn about the aid money’s origin until decades after the famine had ended.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Another celebrity with a random act of kindness

'Because You Worked Hard': Jelly Roll Surprises Kids At Lemonade Stand With $700 Tip

Today's good news story comes from Salt Lake City, Utah.

Country star Jelly Roll, whose real name is Jason Bradley DeFord, made a big impact on a small group of young entrepreneurs in Salt Lake City.

While passing through West Valley, he spotted a lemonade stand run by a group of kids and decided to stop and support their efforts.

The kids were selling lemonade for 50 cents a cup, and when Jelly Roll ordered five drinks for everyone in his car, the total came to just $2.50. But instead of handing over a few dollars, the generous musician gave the children nearly $700 and told them to keep the change.

In a video captured during the moment, Jelly Roll can be heard telling the kids, "You keep that tip, okay baby? You go buy you something really nice, alright, because you worked hard."

The children were visibly thrilled and shocked by the unexpected act of kindness.

Wendy Gardunio, the mother of one of the children, shared her excitement on social media, posting photos of her daughter and her cousins with the singer.

"Who would have thought that we would run into Jelly Roll in West Valley? And for him to be so generous with giving them almost $700," she wrote, expressing her gratitude and amazement.
                Pictures and video in the link.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  Another celebrity with a random act of kindness

'Because You Worked Hard': Jelly Roll Surprises Kids At Lemonade Stand With $700 Tip

Pictures and video in the link.
                  His name turned me off at first, but I've really learned to like his music... he's literally on a roll similar to Post Malone.

By the way, Post Malone's new country album, F-1 Trillion is incredible... all 27 songs are must listen. I'd guess it will be in the running for 'country album of the year'.
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                    By the way, Post Malone's new country album, F-1 Trillion is incredible... all 27 songs are must listen. I'd guess it will be in the running for 'country album of the year'.

The second album is the best -- F-1 Trillion (Long Bed). But they are both good.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I'm not familiar Post Malone's country music work. I've heard some of him previously and he just didn't appeal to me. I'll have to give the above mentioned album a look.

I was a fan of Jelly Roll back when he was rapping and was thrown off by his move to country music, but it's worked out well. I'm convinced the man can't miss no matter what he does.

I've gotten to learn a little more about him and he seems like a good guy who's been through some ****. It's different, but he reminds me some of NF who I've mentioned somewhere before, as they both seem to poor their hearts and struggles out through their music and by doing so they've connected with large groups of people. NF is a personal favorite of mine and I don't think he has a bad song in his discography. Jelly Roll is much in the same vein for me as well. I'm glad both of them have found good, strong women and are hopefully living their best lives with them these days.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I can't stand Jelly Roll and doubt I'll ever take Post Malone seriously as a country artist.
                        Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post
                          I can't stand Jelly Roll and doubt I'll ever take Post Malone seriously as a country artist.
                          Just close your eyes and give him Post a try. I’m older than most, but both of them are really guys.

Post Malone’s “Circles” is one of my favorites… there are many of my new favorites on his recently released county album. I realize, different strokes for different folks…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Not by thang. I'll go with this.

Comment

• Man Trapped In Submerged Truck On Live TV, Off-Duty ER Nurse Dives Into Floodwaters To Save Him

Today's good news story comes from New Orleans, Louisiana.

Amidst the chaos of Hurricane Francine, a dramatic rescue unfolded on live television. On the evening of Wednesday, September 11, Miles Crawford, an off-duty ER nurse in Lakeview, Louisiana, leaped into action when he learned someone was trapped in a submerged pickup truck, caught in floodwaters just 200 feet from his home.

At around 8:45 p.m., Crawford received a text from his brother, who had been watching WDSU News. He informed Crawford that a news crew was covering a breaking story at a nearby canal, where a man was stuck in his vehicle.

Without hesitation, Crawford ran to the scene, passing a police car and WDSU news reporter Jonah Gilmore, who was pleading with the officer for help. The truck was already half-submerged in the canal.

As Crawford approached the submerged truck, a police officer warned him about the perilous conditions. "It's not safe. It's too deep," the officer said. Despite the warning, Crawford made a split-second decision to take matters into his own hands.

"I don’t blame the cop," Crawford told People. "If I were in his shoes, I wouldn’t have gone in alone without backup either. But I figured, if I go in, at least he’ll be there to help if something goes wrong."
                              The live video of the rescue is in the article. Pretty crazy story.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post
                                I can't stand Jelly Roll and doubt I'll ever take Post Malone seriously as a country artist.
                                I struggled to take Malone seriously when my kid introduced me to him, but I liked his alternative song "Green Thumb" so much that I listened to "F-1 trillion" and was kinda wowed by it.

I've never listened to Jelly Roll I don't think.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X