General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little more on the HHR bids.

WBJ - One of 3 sites in Sedgwick County could have electronic gambling machies

Pegasus West at Towne West Square

Carrie Soto, who's an employee of Treadwell's and spoke on his behalf, said the plan for Pegasus West would be to lease about 45,000 square feet in the former Sears store at the west-side mall. Treadwell wanted to "help rejuvenate the mall," Soto said.

She said the project, which doesn't have a final dollar amount, could bring around 2,000 to 3,000 people per day to Towne West.

"Just like everyone else, we want to add a little bit more than just the machines, and so there'll be a simulcast area inside the facility, along with our proposal to bring in a deli-type restaurant and then hopefully some sort of a steakhouse or a larger sit-down restaurant as well," said Soto, who is general manager of Welcome Home.
    He also wants to use some of the money they'd make to reopen Eureka Downs and rejuvenate horse racing in Kansas.

Golden Circle at Wichita Greyhound Park

"Many times we had the votes but nobody wanted live racing. Animal rights seem to be pretty strong," Ruffin, the track owner, said in an interview with the WBJ last May. "... The technology changed, so you don't really have to run live racing, you can run historical racing."

The HHR machines cannot be operated at a facility that also conducts live greyhound races.

Ruffin could not be reached by phone Tuesday about his plans for the gaming facility.
    Little is known about the full plans here.

Diamond Jo

"Boyd took a very serious shot at that (HHR license), decided that we really did want to continue to build upon our track record," Uri Clinton, executive vice president and general counsel for Boyd Gaming, told the WBJ last month.

The Diamond Jo is proposed to go up at the northwest corner of 77th Street and I-135. In addition to the HHR machines, the one-story complex also involves plans for a steakhouse, cocktail lounge, a FanDuel-themed sports bar, a meeting and convention space and what's expected to be the first Amazon Go store in Kansas.

"What we've tried to do is to take those slots and then build around it a full entertainment experience," Clinton said last month. "... I think it's a disservice to the vision of the legislation, let's say, if you just kind of put them in a warehouse, so what we want to do with a ground-up development that allowed us to really design around ... how do you create a social entertainment experience?"

Boyd has the financial backing and a good plan.

It's hard to choose favorites in this. We don't know anything about what Ruffin would do other than put in the machines. Obviously that's not enough and I'm sure he has more planned than that.

It would be an interesting way to try and reinvigorate Towne West. I could see that working out well and bringing new life to the west side tomb.

Boyd definitely has a vision that you can picture and it's hard to believe it wouldn't be successful, assuming HHR would be a big deal anyway.

It will be interesting to see who gets the nod. I think I'm kind of pulling for the Towne West bid.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• A bit of unfortunate news. I'm not a wine guy, but I'd had hopes for this business to find success in the heart of the city.

Eagle - Wichita's first urban winery has closed, but the owner is hopeful for its future

After a few extremely tough years, Jennifer McDonald has closed her Jenny Dawn Cellars.

“This isn’t the end of our story,” she said. “It’s just a pause and a pivot.”

In 2016, McDonald opened her wine brand. She then opened what she called Wichita’s first urban winery at Union Station downtown in late 2019, “which was a really bad time to open because then four months later the pandemic hit.”

The problems kept coming, including supply-chain issues and staffing shortages.

Then came a December break-in.

McDonald said the man who broke in “ruined our number one best-selling wine, which was 1,600 gallons of Watermelon Crush.”

If she had sold all of it, McDonald said she could have made more than $300,000, but she said insurance only reimbursed her what it cost to make.
      She hopes to be able to reopen elsewhere down the road.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This one is about Kansas as a whole, but since this is such a big and growing part of Wichita it's worth dropping it here.

WBJ - Here's how Kansas compared to rest of U.S. for venture capital funding in 2022

Nationally, venture capital investors pumped $238 billion into U.S. startups in 2022 — a 31% decline from 2021's record haul of $345 billion, according to Pitchbook, a firm that tracks venture funding totals across the country.
        That includes Kansas, where the data shows an increase from $215.3 million in 2021 to $356.5 million in 2022 — an almost 66% increase.

Florida and North Carolina, home to high-growth metros with expanding innovation ecosystems, each saw funding upticks in 2022 — as did Illinois, Michigan and Virginia.
        It's good to see Kansas stepping up when so many are dialing back.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - WWE Monday Night Raw returns to Wichita in June

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Wichita’s Intrust Bank Arena on Friday announced that WWE Monday Night Raw will return. It will be Monday, June 12.

Tickets for the event go on sale Friday, March 17, and can be purchased online at selectaseat.com, by phone at 855-755-SEAT (7328) or in person at the Select-A-Seat Box Office at Intrust Bank Arena.
          Not my favorite wrestling company but always a good get for a community. Though last time they were here for Smackdown I heard attendance was very poor. Like fewer than 5K poor. I'm not sure how much the arena holds for a wrestling event.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            KSN - WWE Monday Night Raw returns to Wichita in June

Not my favorite wrestling company but always a good get for a community. Though last time they were here for Smackdown I heard attendance was very poor. Like fewer than 5K poor. I'm not sure how much the arena holds for a wrestling event.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• WBJ - Large apartment development near Wichita's Topgolf eyes 2024 expansion wrap

In late February, new commercial building permits — with a combined $6.7 million valuation — were issued for the final two buildings, No. 12 and 13, of the complex on 29th Street east of Greenwich Road.

Michigan-based Edward Rose & Sons, the development company behind the project, has also been advancing construction of buildings No. 8-11 over the last year.

This final construction push will take the complex, currently at 222 apartments, to 438 units.

"The plan was always going to be 438," said Mike Culver, director of marketing at Edward Rose & Sons, adding the company anticipates completion all construction by the second half of 2024.
              This area continues to grow. There will be more residential structures in the area down the road.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Cirque du Soleil coming to Wichita with Corteo production

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — Cirque du Soleil will be performing its Corteo production this November at Intrust Bank Arena.

Performances will be held:
                • Thursday, Nov. 9, 2022, at 7:30 p.m.
                • Friday, Nov. 10, 2022, at 7:30 p.m.
                • Saturday, Nov. 11, 2022, at 3:30 and 7:30 p.m.
                • Sunday, Nov. 12, 2022, at 1 and 5 p.m.
                Always good to land a Cirque du Soleil show.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Improvements coming to the Arena District.

KSN - City approves designs for streets south of Intrust Bank Arena

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – The Wichita City Council voted 7-0 on Tuesday to approve street designs for Commerce and St. Francis from Waterman to Kellogg south of Intrust Bank Arena.

The two streets would be reconstructed with the existing brick. The proposed on-street parking areas will be concrete.

Commerce Street would still be a two-way roadway with a sidewalk. Parallel and perpendicular parking would be added on the east side of the street.

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – The Wichita City Council voted 7-0 on Tuesday to approve street designs for Commerce and St. Francis from Waterman to Kellogg south of Intrust Bank Arena.

The two streets would be reconstructed with the existing brick. The proposed on-street parking areas will be concrete.

Commerce Street would still be a two-way roadway with a sidewalk. Parallel and perpendicular parking would be added on the east side of the street.
                  Project is set to begin early next year and be completed before March Madness in '25, when IBA will be a host.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Amtrak coming back to Wichita? It's been talked about for years, but it sounds like the final steps are being taken.

'We've done so much work': Amtrak potentially making its way through Wichita

WICHITA, Kan. (KAKE) - The last time Wichita saw an Amtrak train moving through its neighborhoods was in 1979. Over 40 years later the rumble and whistles could be back.

"We've done so much work locally and regionally to prepare Kansas, Department of Transportation, and Oklahoma Department of Transportation to agree that they think that this is a worthy solicitation for those two states to join together to pursue," said Sedgwick County Commissioner, Pete Meitzner.

Meitzner said financial issues such as ridership and cost caused the cancellation of many routes. He added whenever there is not enough revenue to cover the cost, the states make up for it. Meitzner said times have changed and Amtrak has made technological advances. He said he's confident ridership will be up.
                    I'm assuming this is the line that would go south to OKC and Dallas and then north to KC. I don't know what it costs to ride, but if it's reasonable, I could see it working out.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Scheels trying to make a mark.

WBJ - Scheels moves for naming rights on Stryker Sports Complex

Sporting goods store Scheels is working to secure naming rights for the city-owned Stryker Sports Complex in northeast Wichita.

According to an agenda report for an upcoming City Council meeting, Scheels will pay $625,000 for a five-year period of naming rights. That will be followed by a five-year renewal option.

Wichita City Council's will consider whether to approve the naming rights agreement at its meeting on Tuesday, with city staff recommending approval.

Stryker, which is located near K-96 and Greenwich, is set to host three national soccer championships in 2023 that are expected to bring more than $5 million in economic impact.

The facility has 10 outdoor turf fields and one indoor field and is managed by Tymber Lee and his Wichita Sports Forum.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Newman students can start medical school early at Wichita's KansasCOM

The Kansas College of Osteopathic Medicine has partnered with another Wichita private college to create an accelerated pathway for students seeking a medical degree.

An admissions agreement between KansasCOM and Newman University will allow a select number of Newman premedical students to begin their first year of medical school while in their senior year of undergraduate studies, according to a news release shared Monday. The 3+4 program means students will have the ability to complete both undergraduate work and a medical degree in seven years.

"This opportunity for Newman premedical students, who are prepared to move on to graduate medical studies after three years of undergraduate study, should not only benefit our students but also the Kansas communities which they serve as medical professionals,” Newman president Kathleen Jagger said in the news release.
                        They have a similar agreement with Friends as well.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Scheels naming rights have been approved. Details in article.

KSN - Wichita's Stryker Sports Complex to include Scheels in name

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – The Wichita City Council on Tuesday voted 7-0 to approve renaming the Stryker Sports Complex located at 2999 N. Greenwich Road.

Scheels will now be included in it. The name will be the Scheels Stryker Sports Complex. Scheels plans to open a new store in Wichita in July.

As part of the agreement with Scheels, the City of Wichita will receive $625,000 for the five-year term agreement. Before the second term, both will agree on any fee increases.

The sponsorship will help address safety, including adding 18 backstop nets across fields to increase the playability of multiple games, and will also help expand press box capabilities. In addition, Scheels will be responsible for the initial $4,000 in new staff uniforms, and the store will offer the City of Wichita uniforms at a discounted cost.

The store leader for Scheels says Wichita has been welcoming and that he and the store are looking forward to giving back to the community. He said already 200 new employees had provided 900 hours of community service.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Wichita by EB - Best Things Happening This Weekend in Wichita (March 24-26)

Kansas Sneaker Fest | March 25
                            Where: Charles Koch Arena
                            Kansas Sneaker Fest is Wichita’s very own sneaker convention. A unique marketplace for sneaker enthusiasts to buy, sell, and trade sneakers amongst each other. The event features vendors selling and displaying the latest and most sought after sneakers, highly coveted vintage clothing, streetwear brands, accessories, and a dynamic live art exhibit. Other activities include a sneaker collection competition amongst the vendors as well as the very popular shoe lacing competition. Attendees also have the opportunity win a pair of highly coveted sneakers by supporting the sock drive which benefits local shelters in the Wichita area.

Live In Concert: Dustin Arbuckle & The Damnations | March 24
                            Where: Augusta Historic Theatre
                            Join us at the Historic Augusta Theatre, 523 State St, Augusta, KS. It’s just a short drive from Wichita to enjoy amazing live music in a unique atmosphere! Dustin Arbuckle and The Damnations are not a band you can easily associate with one specific genre, and that’s how they planned it. Arbuckle, a veteran of the progressive roots music scene whose singing and harmonica playing first came into prominence in Moreland & Arbuckle, has been kicking up fresh dust with The Damnations since 2017.

Disney On ICE | March 24 – 26
                            Where: INTRUST Bank Arena
                            For the first time, Disney On Ice invites families to step inside the magical adventures of Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Frozen, the #1 Animated feature of all time, and Disney Animation’s Encanto, the 2022 Academy Award®, BAFTA®, and Golden Globe® Award winner for Best Animated Feature, as they come to life like never before.
                            I haven't personally heard Dustin Arbuckle & The Damnations, but I was a big fan of Moreland & Arbuckle. Based on that, I'm quite intrigued and may have to find a way to make it out to Augusta tonight.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                              Wichita by EB - Best Things Happening This Weekend in Wichita (March 24-26)

I haven't personally heard Dustin Arbuckle & The Damnations, but I was a big fan of Moreland & Arbuckle. Based on that, I'm quite intrigued and may have to find a way to make it out to Augusta tonight.
                              Wasn’t there a Floyd there also?

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

Wasn’t there a Floyd there also?
                                I believe their first album had a Floyd. I'm not sure what happened to him. Their best album, in my opinion, was 1861. Still love putting that one on.

I believe Moreland also has a new band.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X