No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like what I'm seeing in this article. The south side is getting some much needed love and this new Derby development sounds pretty intriguing.

Eagle - A business collective is coming to Derby along with several new restaurants

In addition to having a soft opening this week for his new Wichita co-working space called the Colony, Brant Dumford has a lot of other news to share, this time in his adopted hometown of Derby.

“I’ve been here about 10 years now,” said the former Wichitan, who perhaps is best known for his family’s Delano Bakery.

Dumford said he’s noticed that developers “kind of ignore the south end of town.”

“So I’ve been investing in the K-15 corridor for about seven or eight years now.”

He said the part of the corridor he’s interested in is from about Greenway to Kay Street.

In one part of that stretch, he has a new Mediterranean restaurant that is within a couple of months of opening. In another area, he’s planning a business cooperative for several new restaurants, and he’s open to other businesses as well.

“It’s going to be kind of like a Clifton Square-type concept,” Dumford said.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• WBJ - Wichita-based Knowledge as a Service helping prep local students for workforce

A technology startup now headquartered in Wichita is partnering with Wichita Public Schools to help prepare graduating students to capitalize on workforce opportunities.

Knowledge as a Service Inc. has been contracted by the school district to utilize the company’s Ringorang continual learning platform in advance of the district’s spring career fair later this month.

Students will use Ringorang’s app-based training to prepare for the interviews and gain other employment-related skills.

“Annual career fairs allow our students to explore college and career opportunities before graduation,” said Kelly Bielefeld, who is executive director of College and Career Readiness at Wichita Public Schools and incoming superintendent, in a new release. “We want to prepare our students with the knowledge and skills they need to conduct successful interviews as well as gain and retain employment whether they’re going to college or directly into the workforce.”

KaaS has continued to integrate itself with the Wichita community since relocating its operations to the city in 2021.
      Things like this can go a long way in.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This will be a nice addition to downtown Wichita. It will add 151 new apartments when completed. Sounds like 61 of those will be opened up in a few months.

WBJ - Renovation of 10-story downtown Wichita building approaches first phase completion

Phase one construction is closing in on completion and residences will be ready by mid-summer, a news release said. The National is also set to include co-working space and retail components.

“Designed to be a hub of activity tailored to the new work environment, you can literally live, work and play at The National,” said Tyler Ellis of High Plains Development, The National's developer, in a news release. “This is the ideal residence for those seeking the energy and conveniences of downtown living.”

Last July, Main Street Living LLC announced its purchase of the property and its initial plans for a mix of studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom units to go with the co-working space.
        "The property renovation retains the character of the impressive bank structure, with exposed ceilings and original brick in many units," the release said. "Comprehensive amenities include a lounge-style pool, two outdoor amenity decks, a rooftop observation deck, dog run, yoga studio, fitness center and more. Two floors of the building will house a modern and fashionable 'co-working' membership club and community, a coffee bar and a convenience store, which are all slated to open in the fall."
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Big final decision for Wichita.

WBJ - Government sides with Textron, gives Wichita a big win in helicopter contract

According to a report from Breaking Defense, the GAO has denied the protest of the team of Sikorsky, part of Lockheed Martin Corp. (NYSE: LMT) and the Boeing Co. (NYSE: BA), which late last year lost out on the contract to the Textron (NYSE: TXT) division of Bell.

The Sikorsky/Boeing team filed its protest immediately following the award of the Future Long Range Assault Aircraft in favor of the Bell V-280 tiltrotor in December.

The conclusion of the protest period will accelerate a defense program that will have significant impact on the Wichita economy.

Wichita-based Spirit AeroSystems Inc. (NYSE: SPR) has built the fuselage for the V-280 during the program’s development, putting Wichita’s largest employer at the head of the line for full production work once industrial partners are publicly specified following the award.

Additionally, Textron in 2020 opened a new office of Bell on the west Wichita campus of Textron Aviation. The company said at the time that the move was in relation to FLRAA contest and coming FVL procurement for the Future Attack Reconnaissance Aircraft program.
          Potential $70 billion deal will now move forward.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Wind Surge are really working to get fans back and make going to a game more fun and affordable.

WBJ - Wind Surge president: Fans will see a real difference at next week's home opener

Following its second season that saw attendance drop to the lowest in the Texas League — an average of 3,219 per game despite the team making the championship series a second straight year — Miller has made clear his mission to boost the fan experience, including the affordability of games.

"The biggest thing I just feel like we needed was to get back to the fans," he said. "They're the reason we're here and that's what it's all about."

That's included reducing both ticket and concession prices.

For example, a 16-ounce beer has gone from $9 plus tax to $7 with tax included.

Ticket prices have dropped, as well, with some single-game seats going from $15 to $10 and berm tickets at $4 for youth and $8 for adults.

And Miller also says there is price transparency at the stadium.

"The cost of the item, is the cost of the item — there's no tax on top of that," said Miller, adding that he knows that was an issue that frustrated fans last season. "Tax is included."
            Over 6k tickets already sold for the home opener.

Miller also talks about potential corporate naming rights to the stadium, working on bringing in more concerts and non-Wind Surge events.

Possibility of high school baseball games, five to six high school football games and some sort of Christmas festival.

He's determined to get to the 150-200 events a year at the stadium.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Another win for Wichita

KSN - Wichita to host Midwestern Synchronized Skating Sectional Championships

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — Wichita will host the 2024 Midwestern Synchronized Sectional Championships.

This is the third time U.S. Figure Skating has selected Wichita and Intrust Bank Arena to host the four-day event. Wichita hosted the 2018 and 2020 Midwestern and Pacific Coast Synchronized Skating Sectional Championships.

Synchronized skating involves a team of skaters of up to 20. They perform routines that have a theme and are set to music.

“Wichita has always provided an exceptional experience to our athletes, and we are excited to be returning once again for the 2024 Midwestern Synchronized Skating Sectional Championships,” says Megan Romeo, U.S. Figure Skating events manager, in a news release. “Hosting a synchronized skating competition at the caliber of the sectional championships is no small task, and Wichita consistently steps up to the challenge.”
              Expected to have an economic impact pushing $3M
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• So this one has to do with local business invading KC. But that can only be a long-term benefit to Wichita I would think.

MSN - Two Wichita restaurants that expanded into Kansas City are now both big hits

It's pretty standard that people who live in Wichita crave the restaurants and entertainment venues that the much-larger Kansas City has.

Less often, Kansas Citians get turned on to a Wichita invention and go crazy for it.

That's happened, though, over the past two years as two Wichita restaurants — Alex Harb's Meddys and Thrive Restaurant Group's HomeGrown — have branched out to Kansas City. Both have found great success, their owners report — and the restaurant writer for the Kansas City Star confirms. And both are now about to add more restaurants to the Kansas City area.

The most recent of the two to expand to Kansas City is Meddys, a quick-service Mediterranean restaurant that Harb introduced to the Wichita market in 2014 at 7906 E. Harry. Since then, he's added four more: at 21st and Greenwich in 2016; at 120S. Washington in 2018; at 560 S. Ridge Road in 2020; and at 2441 N. Maize Road in 2021.

Wichita responded so well to the Meddys concept, which offers fresh Mediterranean sandwiches, salads, bowls and platters, Harb said, that he decided to expand into Kansas City. The first restaurant there opened in December at 4105 W. 83rd St. in Prairie Village, and the response was huge.

"It's unbelievable, the feedback," Harb said. "I was kind of terrified before it opened, and when we did, it got really busy. Almost four months into it, the numbers are improving and getting better and better."

We don't have to take Harb's word for it, either. Joyce Smith, who writes about restaurants for the Kansas City Star and covered Meddys' move into the market, confirmed that it's been a big hit. She has a friend from Beirut who once owned a Lebanese restaurant in Kansas City, and he likes the place, she said.
                Sounds like Meddy's is planning on having three more locations before the end of the year, and HomeGrown is looking to add five or six over the next few years.

Sadly, I've never been to either. HomeGrown always has an insane wait time whenever friends and I have checked into it and Meddy's menu doesn't really speak to me, but that may simply be because of my lack of familiarity with the food in general. But I do know people who love both places.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - HCA plans to open private nursing college at Wesley campus this summer

HCA Healthcare plans to open a new campus for the Galen College of Nursing, its affiliated private nursing school, at Wesley Medical Center in an effort to address Wichita's nursing workforce needs.

The college will begin classes in late summer 2023.

“We are excited to work with Galen to promote the education of new nurses in the Wichita community and the continuing education of current nurses in the Wesley Healthcare workforce," said David Leslie, chief nurse offer at Wesley Healthcare, in an April 4 news release. "Galen, along with all of our other strong nursing education partners, will help ensure our patients will continue to receive excellent patient care against the backdrop of a national nursing shortage. Expanding access to nursing education is absolutely critical to ensure the quality of healthcare in the greater Wichita area for decades to come.”
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    So this one has to do with local business invading KC. But that can only be a long-term benefit to Wichita I would think.

MSN - Two Wichita restaurants that expanded into Kansas City are now both big hits

Sounds like Meddy's is planning on having three more locations before the end of the year, and HomeGrown is looking to add five or six over the next few years.

Sadly, I've never been to either. HomeGrown always has an insane wait time whenever friends and I have checked into it and Meddy's menu doesn't really speak to me, but that may simply be because of my lack of familiarity with the food in general. But I do know people who love both places.
                    Whenever I'm back in town, a breakfast at HomeGrown is always a must do. Pro tip: go to their website and get on their waitlist before you even leave your house.
                    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

Whenever I'm back in town, a breakfast at HomeGrown is always a must do. Pro tip: go to their website and get on their waitlist before you even leave your house.
                      We must do that too late as it's never been less than 2 hours for us. One of these days it'll work out.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

We must do that too late as it's never been less than 2 hours for us. One of these days it'll work out.
                        Good luck! It's worth it.
                        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Wind Surge win, on and off the field.

Yahoo! - 'A preview of things to come': Wind Surge draw record Wichita crowd at Riverfront Stadium

A crowd of 8,506 at Riverfront Stadium helped kick off a new era of Wind Surge baseball in grand fashion, as Wichita won its home opener against Northwest Arkansas, 3-1, with the highest attendance in the three-year history of the stadium topped off with a fireworks show to conclude the evening.

“It was a very emotional night for me,” Miller said. “I was talking about it earlier and I kind of got choked up a little bit and I had to pull myself together. This is my first time seeing a Wind Surge game here and it’s everything I thought it was going to be and then some.

“Hopefully this is a preview of things to come.”

After ownership changed hands in the winter, Miller was summoned to return to the job he was originally brought to Wichita to do in 2020.

As his first acts of business, Miller lowered the price of entry to Riverfront Stadium and made concession prices more affordable. The changes seemed to be a hit in Tuesday’s debut, evident by a crowd that nearly topped the previous largest crowd for a Surge game by 1,000 fans.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I really hope there's some truth to the rumblings about them changing their name. Even just shortening to the Wichita Wind (if someone doesn't own the rights to the old hockey team's name) would be a drastic improvement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                              I really hope there's some truth to the rumblings about them changing their name. Even just shortening to the Wichita Wind (if someone doesn't own the rights to the old hockey team's name) would be a drastic improvement.
                              I haven't heard anything about that but I'd still endorse a full time move to Turbo Tubs
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Downtown Wichita getting some flavor. Some meaty flavor.

AOL - Downtown Wichita adding steak restaurant offering upscale feel without upscale prices

The menu will be small and manageable and feature a Flat Iron steak, chicken piccata, a bone-in pork-chop and salmon. Several entrees will be priced at around $20. The menu will also include other higher-end, more expensive steak cuts, including a filet.

“Basically, you’ll build your own,” Jewett said. “You’ll pick a sauce and a side and build your meal how you want.”

The restaurant will be open for both lunch and dinner, he said. He hopes to draw downtown workers from places like Cargill next door over the lunch hour, when he’ll add salads and sandwiches to the menu. One sandwich he’s planning is a “true Philly cheesesteak” made with Cheez Whiz on bread made in Philadelphia

Forge ICT will also offer a pepito — a South American street food item that features a gutted hoagie stuffed with french fries, cheese, steak, onions and a cilantro lime sauce then topped with arugula, pico de gallo and chimichurri.

The restaurant’s dessert menu will feature cheesecake from Wichita Cheesecake Company plus house-made creme brulee, flourless chocolate cake and tiramisu.

The full bar will feature several innovative cocktails, including a see-through margarita and an inverted mojito. It’ll also have several different wines and beer on tap. Jewett says he hopes to have the liquor license approved before he opens, but if it’s not ready in time, he’ll open without it and add bar service later.
                                I hope this works out. This sounds like a great addition to downtown
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X