No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBJ - Manufacturing panel: Reshoring brings opportunities, challenges to Kansas

$1 trillion in estimated opportunity over the next seven years.

According Keith Prather, managing director at Armada Corporate Intelligence, that is what the U.S. could tap into thanks to the growing momentum behind bringing manufacturing back from overseas.

"We can finally see companies putting their money where their mouth is. We're seeing that reshoring trend happening," said Prather, citing that manufacturing construction is the second-fastest growing construction category in the country.

But while reshoring is a great opportunity for Wichita and the state, it is not without challenges, according to a Thursday panel hosted by the Wichita Business Journal and McCownGordon Construction in downtown Wichita.

Around 100 people attended the event at The Vail titled, "How Global Shifts Impact Wichita Manufacturing Businesses."

As the global supply chain has seen significant disruptions in recent years, U.S.-based and international companies have been increasingly considering moving manufacturing back to the U.S.
    First, the positives. Wichita has a favorable location in the I-35 corridor as well as space, low costs and incentives that are attractive to possible manufacturing opportunities.

Challenges are that there are concerns about housing, lodging and infrastructure capabilities. I don't think the Wichita area is in bad shape here, but what do I know. There's also concern about talent availability in the area for certain high tech operations. As stated in the article, Wichita State and Tech are working on that, but that takes time. Though I'm not sure if bringing in people from outside the area to kick things off is a bad thing or if maybe it's problematic to find those people willing to relocate for such a job. I'd like to think that as certain companies would grow in the area that there would be more and more options available due to the focus of WSU/Tech in these fields. But as the article does point out, the coasts have a lot more of those people available immediately. Though, with growing discontent in some areas of the country over costs of living and taxes, it might be easier to get that talent to come here for good jobs.

Either way, I hope Wichita and the area is active in trying to bring in some of these manufacturing opportunities as they return to the States.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• KSN - New 62-foot Christmas tree to be part of Illuminations at Botanica; how to get tickets

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Botanica says you can now purchase tickets for Illuminations. The event will run from Nov. 18 through Dec. 31 from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

Illuminations will not run on Thanksgiving, Nov. 23 and Nov. 24, and Christmas, Dec. 24 and Dec. 25.

Tickets are $13 for non-member adults and $9 for members and children under 12. Children under 2 get in free. You can purchase the tickets here.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• A large, undeveloped piece of land in SW Wichita is now on the market.

WBJ - Land off of Kellogg, near Eisenhower National Airport, hits market for $3.25 million

"The site is large enough for big- or junior-sized box retail tenants with service-oriented retail tenants positioned as outparcels," he said. "Alternatively, the frontage facing Kellogg Avenue is prime for single and/or multi-tenant retail users, while the southern portion of the parcel could function more so as warehousing or industrial given the proximity to the airport."

A news release said multifamily could be another option for the site.

Bono said Greenstone wants to "cast the widest net to developers and tenants and further gauge the market feedback."
        It's nearly 7.5 acres of land. I think the article said it's about 2 miles from the airport and can be used for just about anything. Any ideas of what you think might work well in that area? I know I work over in this area, but I'm not quite that far west and rarely head west of 235 unless I run to get Chick-fil-a for lunch. Maybe I should head over there and grab some food and see if I can get a feel for that area.

I decided to Google instead. Looks like this is land to the west of the Red Roof Inn which is over by Texas Roadhouse. It really does seem like an area that could take in anything from retail to manufacturing/warehousing.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This article has some interesting information. You always hear people talk about how much more expensive it is to fly out of ICT. I don't really fly so I can't speak to it.

WBJ - Average airfare at Eisenhower Airport jumped 19% in second quarter

The local airport data also noted that the average Wichita fare still remains 2% less than the second quarter of 2019 and 34% lower — again adjusted for inflation — than the same quarter of 2000.

But the average local price of $442.45 does keep Wichita fares higher than other regional airports.

The average fare in the second quarter was $425.31 out of Kansas City and $433.22 out of Tulsa.

But the local price was lower than the $465.54 out of Little Rock and $454.67 out of Oklahoma City.
          The national average was 22% increase. Fuel costs are up 135%. They also blame the labor shortage and increased costs to hire as a cause for rising prices nationally.

I know the above are just averages and maybe it makes sense to travel for some flights. None of the savings would cover gas to and from the other airports. So maybe it's not so bad?

This at the end was interesting. Though I would assume most of us don't have to worry about lost wages for traveling.

The I Fly Wichita initiative, launched in 2019 to try and boost ridership out of Eisenhower National, now offers a trip calculator that incorporates costs like gasoline, parking and missed wages due to drive time to try and sway local travelers from driving out-of-market to try and save on airfare.

That tool, for example, calculates the total cost of traveling round-trip to Kansas City for its $425 average fare at nearly $675. That is without using the inputs available on the platform for hourly wage of the traveler and parking costs.
          But calculating the added expenses isn't a bad way to look at it either. Maybe this article doesn't tell the whole tale. Or maybe it was once a lot more expensive to fly out of ICT than it is now but the stigma remains even though it's not quite true anymore.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Some zoo news.

MSN - Sedgwick County Zoo celebrates 51-year-old elephant, among oldest in N. America

“She has an innate special place in everybody’s heart and I just love that she can interact with the herd, and she’s great with all the other little elephants,” Dr. Arens said. “Her ailments do not slow her down one bit with the other elephants.” “She’s 6,700 pounds and her ears are just a couple inches smaller than the 10,000 pound elephant. She has big ears.”

Lauren Ripple is the elephant manager at the Sedgwick County Zoo, a place Stephanie has called home since 1972.

“Stephanie is 51 years old. She’s tied for the third oldest African elephant in North America,” Ripple said. “The median life expectancy is 38, and the oldest on record was 56 when she passed away. So, Stephanie is doing really well.”
            Odds are, we aren't going to have Stephanie with us for too much longer, but she's lived a long life and is well cared for by SCZ staff. Elephants are magnificent creatures. During my last trip to the zoo, I'm pretty sure I spent more time at that exhibit than any of the others. It may have helped because I was essentially alone there, but there's something almost mesmerizing about them.

Here's to hoping Stephanie stays relatively healthy and breaks the North American record for living!
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Here's a cool story about a local HS that is giving some kids some real world experiences that can help them after graduating. I hope we hear more about this down the road to see what they've learned and what changes they may have to make.

KWCH - Student-driven deli opens at Wichita East High School

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - There’s something new cooking at Wichita’s East High School with a student-led restaurant now in business, F’east Deli.

Students developed the business.

“Completely from basically (the) ground up, they developed the menu, priced it out, did all the marketing for it, set the dining room up the way they wanted,” said East High School Culinary Instructor Bill Loudermilk.

The restaurant gives the students real-world experience in an educational setting.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Large order of Boeing planes will give Wichita plenty of work.

WBJ - Alaska Airlines orders 52 Boeing 737 MAX jets

Alaska (NYSE: ALK) now has unfilled orders for more than 100 MAX jets on Boeing’s books, as it moves toward an all-Boeing mainline fleet by the end of next year.

This investment secures aircraft to optimize our growth through the next decade, which we know will be a formidable competitive advantage," Alaska Airlines CEO Ben Minicucci said in a press release. "We're proud of the strong financial foundation that uniquely positions Alaska to make this commitment to our future, and of the fantastic partnership we share with our hometown aircraft manufacturer at Boeing."

All of Alaska’s 737 orders translate to work in Wichita, where Spirit AeroSystems Inc. (NYSE: SPR) builds around 70% of the structure on the aircraft.

Spirit’s work in turn feeds numerous other local suppliers to help make the MAX the most important individual aircraft program to the local economy.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  Some zoo news.

MSN - Sedgwick County Zoo celebrates 51-year-old elephant, among oldest in N. America

Odds are, we aren't going to have Stephanie with us for too much longer, but she's lived a long life and is well cared for by SCZ staff. Elephants are magnificent creatures. During my last trip to the zoo, I'm pretty sure I spent more time at that exhibit than any of the others. It may have helped because I was essentially alone there, but there's something almost mesmerizing about them.

Here's to hoping Stephanie stays relatively healthy and breaks the North American record for living!
                  My son and I went recently, and I gotta say, if you haven't been in a couple years you will be shocked at how much it has changed. The renovations they are doing there are pretty amazing.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I went over the summer and hadn't been in a few years. I love that they're constantly looking to improve and expand. I actually ran out of time and was ushered out as they were closing so I didn't see everything. I love some of the more open exhibits they have. The stingray addition is good for the youngsters. It wasn't quite open when I was there.

I wonder if I can find their 10/20 year plan they released a few years back. The only thing I remember was that they had dreams of adding an aquarium and resort like hotel with a water park, or something like that.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

My son and I went recently, and I gotta say, if you haven't been in a couple years you will be shocked at how much it has changed. The renovations they are doing there are pretty amazing.
                      The SCZ is usually listed among the tops zoos on America. It has a very good breeding program amd definitely tries to keep up with the competition.

Comment

• WBJ - These 7 vacant buildings in downtown ICT hold potential for new development

Market Centre, 155 N. Market

Site: Southwest corner of Market and 1st Street

Why it has potential: Adjacent nearby vacant towers have changed hands in the last year, including the former Commerce Bank building to the west, which will get new life with luxury apartments and a co-working office space. Its other notable neighbor is The Lux apartments to the north. That leaves the 11-story Market Centre building ready for the taking. Built in 1919, it totals about 150,000 square feet and has lots of historic detailing left behind on the exterior.
                        I don't know what the interior setup is, but this looks like a building and location that would be great for some ground level retail/restaurant which would leave 10 floors of apartments above it.

135 E. Douglas Ave.

Site: Southwest corner of Douglas and Market

Why it has potential: This building is one of the last remaining corner lots along Douglas Avenue that's entirely unspoken for. It neighbors the interactive ChainLink Gallery Place, and is just steps away from the Kansas College of Osteopathic Medicine and the nearly completed Chester I. Lewis Reflection Park — putting right in the path of downtown redevelopment. Built in 1939, the building has four stories totaling about 18,800 square feet.
                        OK, I'm a big fan of ground level business and I'd do that here again. Seems like a nice potential building for some office space. Perhaps even focused on startups.

Central Library, 233 S. Main

Site: Northwest corner of Main and English

Why it has potential: The brutalist-style building has been sitting vacant since 2018, when the Advanced Learning Library opened in Delano. It was briefly used as a Covid-19 vaccination site, and now the city is seeking adaptive reuse ideas for the building, particularly cultural arts concepts from nonprofits and other public entities. The city does not plan to sell the building — only lease it — but it's a significant step for the unique structure, which has largely been overshadowed by conversations about the future of Century II.
                        I'm not sure what to do with this one. Perhaps a potential museum of some sorts?

Petroleum Building, 219-225 S. Broadway

Site: Northwest corner of Broadway and English

Why it has potential: While this eight-story building has a handful of offices in use on the upper floors, it's largely unused. The closing of Cana Wine & Cocktails in the spring also left behind a major void on the ground floor. Its neighboring buildings, meanwhile, have come to life — including Broadway Autopark apartments, SPT Architecture's new office and Fidelity Bank's RISE Car Park. At 52,300 square feet, it has great potential.
                        Sounds like it needs another ground floor business. Maybe a slightly more upper scale bar/restaurant, nothing crazy. The rest seems like a good opportunity to blend office space in certain areas with perhaps more apartments in other areas of the building.

O'Rourke Title Building, 229 E. William

Site: Southwest corner of Broadway and William

Why it has potential: Similar to the Petroleum Building to the south, the O'Rourke is mostly vacant except for Cafe Bel Ami on the first floor. However, foot traffic near this building has significantly increased with the opening of the Kansas College of Osteopathic Medicine across the street, and it will only have more passersby later this year with the anticipated opening of WSU Tech's new culinary school at the opposite street corner. The O'Rourke Title Building has 34,300 square feet and a recognizable mural on its south side.
                        I'm thinking more apartments. Cafe Bel Ami is a nice anchor on the surface level and there continues to be growth in the area.

Century Plaza, 111 W. Douglas

Site: Southwest corner of Douglas and Main

Why it has potential: The Knolla's Pizza that opened in 2020 on the building's first floor was a welcome addition to this mostly vacant 11-story building. With about 137,400 square feet, the Century Plaza building sits at a prominent downtown intersection near several local attractions, including Century II and the Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum.
                        I'm thinking a mix of office and apartments here with more street level retail/dining.

301 S. St. Francis

Site: Northwest corner of 2nd and St. Francis

Why it has potential: Unlike the other buildings on this list, 301 S. St. Francis is actually on the market. The former Pixius Communications building, listed for $2.1 million, sits along a corridor of new businesses along St. Francis, including Wave, Cocoa Dolce and Groover Labs. Pixius had renovated the building, which was built in 1920 and had fallen into a state of disrepair, until it left sometime in 2020. With about 21,400 square feet, it's sure to be next for an exciting new user.
                        This one seems like it is setup and ready for a replacement tenant. Perhaps there's a way to share the building with two new companies that may not need a full 21k sq-ft.

I honestly admit I know very little about these buildings outside of what's in the article and quick looks on Google. Wichita would definitely benefit from adding more residential options downtown which will help support current and new businesses down there. Plus, the more the population grows, then the closer they get to someone figuring out how to make a grocery store of some sort work down there. I know there are some more apartments going up in Delano that should be available within the next year or so, plus the projects out by the stadium are sure to add more as well.

Anyone more familiar with the area or any of the particular buildings have any thoughts on any of these? There has been a resurgence in recent years in fixing up some of these older buildings to move them into the future and add value to downtown.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Wichita Country Club launches large, multi-phase improvement project

When all is said and done, WCC plans to remodel its entire 18-hole golf course and upgrade its putting green, chipping green and driving range — in addition to building a new dining room and enhancing its fitness center.

"It's one of the largest capital campaigns that the club has ever moved forward with," said Brian White, club general manager and chief operating officer, of the organization originally established in 1900.

Earlier this year, White said WCC members voted 97% in favor of the project.

While the total projected cost for all elements of the effort are undisclosed, city/county records show a $3.15 million valuation for a building permit issued specific to demolishing and rebuilding the dining room.
                          Sounds like some nice changes are coming to WCC.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Greenwich is preparing for another explosion of activity and development as Topgolf prepares to open.

WBJ - Topgolf is now hiring in Wichita ahead of 2023 opening

Topgolf is actively hiring in the Wichita market ahead of its much-anticipated opening in March.

A representative from the Dallas-based company says Topgolf is looking to hire approximately 300 positions, including for servers, bartenders, cooks, dishwashers, porters and guest services. Part- and full-time positions are available. The openings are listed online at career.topgolf.com.

Other development continues to spring up around the Topgolf site and push north along Greenwich Road.

Across from Topgolf, at the northeast corner of the intersection, there's been an indication of plans for a new commercial development, including multifamily, retail and restaurant uses, the WBJ reported last October.

New residential housing neighborhoods are also planned nearby.

And there are also plans for up to 225 multifamily residential units "in the form of patio home clusters" at the northeast corner of 37th and Greenwich — a mile to the north, the WBJ reported in August.
                            30 years ago, there was absolutely nothing going on along Greenwich. Now, it's one of the fastest growing areas of the metro area and is continuing to attract new development. Circle Greenwich is currently expanding and I'm guessing it'll have to do it again sooner than they expect as I would expect the residential side of things to the north of the school to pick up in the next few years. Being able to sell Circle schools while having the proximity to a major economic area nearby is going to do wonders for housing.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Towanda could become the next Maize. Circle South, Circle Central, and Circle.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post

The SCZ is usually listed among the tops zoos on America. It has a very good breeding program amd definitely tries to keep up with the competition.
                                No doubt. The improvements there were slow but steady over the past couple of decades, but it feels like they have kicked it into high gear the last 5 years. They're Bardo'ing the place up!
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X