No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wink Hartman not holding back. Blames Sedgwick County for having to sell arena.

Eagle - Wink Hartman Sr. on arena sale: 'I just got run out of business, plain and simple'

“We even sent our financials to show we weren’t making money for the last 10 years. I had to feed the arena to keep it open,” Hartman said. “It took about a year and half because they just were too busy to meet with us. . . . They finally re-evaluated the arena at $7 million.”

He said he had to pay interest for paying a year and a half late due to the long appeals process.

The following year, Hartman said, the appraisal was back up to $11 million.

His reaction?

“I can’t probably repeat that right now.”

He appealed again, and the appraisal went back down to $7 million.

“It should have been $3.5 million,” Hartman said. “That’s what it was worth.”
    A few more quotes of interest.

He said this experience changes how he’ll do business in Sedgwick County in the future.

“It most certainly does,” Hartman said.

“I’m not sure that would be very intelligent of me to take my money and throw it away again.”
    I've never been a big fan of Wink. But I have heard from people that I work with that Sedgwick County has a lot of ridiculous requirements at times that jack up costs and force people to spend a lot more to build out in the county than any of the surrounding counties. And that's just for housing. And some of these requirements could inflate the property values beyond what they need to be as some of the things required are absurd. Especially when some can, and have, moved a mile or two away to a property in say Kingman or Reno counties and they can build the same home for $30K less because those counties don't force you to go above and beyond the necessary.

So I wouldn't be surprised if there's some shenanigans that goes on to try and collect more money. Lord knows I don't trust government to make most decisions or spend money wisely and that's why they tax and take as much as they can more often than not. I also think it's pretty telling that on two straight appeals, in two consecutive years, the evaluation dropped by over 36%, even if Wink thinks it was still valued as nearly double what he thinks it should be.

It's also pretty bullshit to tack on late fees because the process takes so long and he even won the appeal. It's not like if he paid the 11M and then won they'd pay him back 4M plus late fees because that was 4M he should have had for a year and a half.

It will be interesting to see how Lange proceeds and if the high valuations continue.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      Not going to lie, I didn't realize Riverfest was about to start until I read this piece on KAKE. It was apparently published yesterday but I didn't see it then.
      Here's the event schedule for Wichita Riverfest 2023:

https://wichitariverfest.com/event-schedule
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• The Messenger - These Metros Are Climbing the Ranks of 'America's Best Cities'

Wichita, Kan.

Moving up five rungs to 88th, Wichita drew praise from Resonance for its cultural chops: the Wichita Grand Opera and Ballet Wichita are landmark art institutions. The city also boasts 1,200 restaurants.

Its status as the “Air Capital of the World” also helped its rating, the report said, since Wichita has the country’s largest concentration of aerospace manufacturing employees.

The city of Wichita lies on the banks of the Arkansas River and is the largest city in the state of Kansas. (Getty Images)
        Moving in the right direction is always a good thing.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Radio update

All Access - Bob's Back In Wichita With Return Of Adult Hits Format On Murfin Media's Revived KBOB-F

MURFIN MEDIA/MY TOWN MEDIA INC. has relaunched its recently-acquired KBOB-F (formerly KIBB)/WICHITA, KS as Adult Hits 97.1 BOB-FM. The format and slogan were on the station from 2008 through an abortive sale of the station by former owner ROCKING M MEDIA to ALLIED MEDIA PARTNERS in 2019, and returned on and off during the interim between then and the sale to MURFIN.

As MURFIN revives the WICHITA cluster, AUDACY WICHITA's JOHN POHLMAN has joined the company to serve as GM.
          I don't listen to much radio these days, but I used to listen to a lot of Bob.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Radio update

All Access - Bob's Back In Wichita With Return Of Adult Hits Format On Murfin Media's Revived KBOB-F

I don't listen to much radio these days, but I used to listen to a lot of Bob.
            Don't know ole BOB from Adam, but it's too bad Mufin (David) isn't a WSU grad; he could quickly solve some of the NIL issues. I actually believe he does support WSU in some capacity.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• WBJ - Land buy, zoning change near Wichita's Topgolf aim too 'set the table' for opportunities

Around 20 acres on the northwest corner of 29th and Greenwich in northeast Wichita — diagonal from Topgolf — recently sold as the buyer also received a zoning change that allows for a variety of uses on the property.
              On May 16, the City Council approved the zoning change from a limited industrial district to a planned unit development. The PUD, which includes six parcels of various sizes and has underlying central business district zoning, allows for "the development of a mixed-use commercial and hospitality district with outdoor spaces for games, entertainment and retail," according to city documents.
              I would guess that it won't be long before we start seeing that NW corner there bring in even more options for entertainment and dining. Glad it was rezoned from industrial. I'm all for industrial developments and those can be good for Wichita, but this area is more likely to benefit from continuing the retail/entertainment growth along with the residential growth that is currently ongoing and expected to continue in that area. I still think Circle has been a bit shortsighted with the building and expansion of Circle-Greenwich and will be expanding sooner than they'd like in the near future. Especially with the new Integra facility and all of the jobs coming that will be attached to it.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I'd say this is potentially good news for Wichita even if I'll never have need to step inside.

Wichita by EB - Wichita's first Apple Store is reportedly opening in Bradley Fair

In a new report outlining Apple’s future for physical retail, Bloomberg is reporting that the tech company is planning a huge retail push around the world.

The large tech giant is planning to open over 50 stores around the globe in the next four years. What city popped up on the tentative list? Wichita.

While nothing is set in stone, it’s reported that a Wichita location in Bradley Fair is in the plan for February 2025.
                This would still be two years out, but I recognize that an Apple Store would be a value add for Wichita and be a good get. We'll have to see if this comes to be.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I'd say this is potentially good news for Wichita even if I'll never have need to step inside.

Wichita by EB - Wichita's first Apple Store is reportedly opening in Bradley Fair

This would still be two years out, but I recognize that an Apple Store would be a value add for Wichita and be a good get. We'll have to see if this comes to be.
                  My 'chauffeur' drove me around Doo-Dah yesterday and we traveled down Rock Road and by Bradley Fair; there's a lot of 'new' construction in progress.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

My 'chauffeur' drove me around Doo-Dah yesterday and we traveled down Rock Road and by Bradley Fair; there's a lot of 'new' construction in progress.
                    I may have to order Thai soon and give it a look. I know they just opened a Nordstrom Rack and recently opened a Warby Parker. There's a menswear store called W 1857 opening soon.

I'm not sure they've done anything with the old Outback that closed.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I may have to order Thai soon and give it a look. I know they just opened a Nordstrom Rack and recently opened a Warby Parker. There's a menswear store called W 1857 opening soon.

I'm not sure they've done anything with the old Outback that closed.
                      I believe that building has been raised and has a construction fence around it.

Comment

• KSN - Meet the Budweiser Clydesdales at Riverfest

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — Riverfest continues in Wichita, and those in attendance will get the opportunity to meet some incredible horses this Thursday.

Wichita Festivals said the Clydesdales will be on the west side of the Old Library on Thursday from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

“Budweiser Clydesdales continue to be an enduring symbol of the brewer’s heritage, tradition and commitment to quality, making hundreds of appearances across the country each year,” Wichita Festivals said.
                        They are legendary.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Kansas nabs its third Gold Shovel Award for economic development projects

For the third year in a row, Kansas is the winner among states with populations less than 3 million people.
                          Area Development says Kansas "lands on the EV map in a big way" with Panasonic Energy Co.'s $4-billion facility in De Soto that broke ground in November. The lithium-ion battery manufacturing plant, expected to create 4,000 jobs, was also named one of the magazine's Manufacturing Projects of the Year

"That’s definitely a big deal, especially in a smaller state," the magazine said of the plant. "But the state also records logistics wins that reflect its central location and a host of food processing and agribusiness deals that tap into its agricultural heritage."

In Wichita, among the top 2022 projects listed for Kansas is a new food processing facility for JTM Foods in the ICT21 Industrial District.

Pratt Industries, which started operations in March 2022 at a new 1 million-square-foot box manufacturing plant in Park City, is also listed.

The top 2022 projects in Kansas:
                          • Clorox Co. in Olathe: $22 million and 250 jobs
                          • Heartland Coca-Cola Bottling Co. in Olathe: $326 million and 0 jobs
                          • The Goodyear Tire & Rubbo Co. in Topeka: $125 million and 40 jobs
                          • Simmons Pet Food in Emporia: $115 million and 177 jobs
                          • Simmons Pet Food in Edgerton: $54 million and 175 jobs
                          • Cargill Meat Solutions Corp. in Dodge City: $57.8 million and 0 jobs
                          • JTM Foods in Wichita: $40.1 million and 120 jobs
                          • Hospira Inc. in McPherson: $49.2 million and 26 jobs
                          • Panasonic Energy: $4 billion and 4,000 jobs
                          • Pratt Industries in Park City: $128.5 million and 78 jobs
                          • Kubota/Great Plains Manufacturing in Salina: $124 million and 200 jobs
                          • McCarty Dairy in Rexford: $98 million and 44 jobs
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Take a deeper dive into the masterplan for a south Wichita behavioral health campus

Following the unveiling of the OneRise Health Campus masterplan at an event this spring, those involved with the effort recently walked the WBJ through updated renderings and how the south Wichita behavioral health project could come together.

That includes added details on the potential overall layout, a community care center, a variety of housing components and more.

The 70-acre campus, an idea that Jeff Lange and his family have pursued for several years, would sit off of the northwest corner of Meridian and MacArthur in Lange's Crossgate District and across the street from The Paddock industrial park.

Matthew Tannehill​, director of strategic initiatives at the Lange Community Foundation, emphasized there is flexibility to what OneRise has laid out.

"This masterplan here is not the end all be all," Tannehill said. "It has the ability to pivot based upon the needs of our community."

OneRise formulated the plan in partnership with WestEast Design Group.

Highlights from the recent WBJ discussion and masterplan — available on the new nonprofit's website — include several components.
                            This is quite the plan and looks good to my untrained eye. There's a slideshow with renderings that I believe should be available to all to see.

This place could be a nice benefit to Wichita and surrounding areas as mental health needs continue to need more support.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This may not be big news on here, but it's big for Wichita.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Southwest Airlines will resume daily flights to Las Vegas from Wichita

Southwest Airlines will resume daily flights to Las Vegas from Wichita starting November 5, 2023.

The flight from Wichita to Las Vegas will depart at 12:35 p.m., arriving in Las Vegas at 1:25 p.m. On the return leg, the flight will leave Las Vegas at 12:05 p.m. and arrive in Wichita at 4:25 p.m. The routes will remain effective until January 7, 2024.

Due to aircraft delivery delays, Southwest will temporarily reduce their service to Denver from three daily to twice daily flights. The St. Louis route will continue to be served twice daily.
                                Daily flights to PHX is planned to resume next year.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X