Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 - Severe Storms (T-Storms and Blizzards)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    So we are looking at a nasty event potentially again, or not so much?
    Right now it is pretty conditional. The ingredients seem to be in place for significant severe weather, but it will be isolated. It looks to be 2 phases.

Phase 1 - Dry line storms forming in the 4-6 pm central time range. If the storms form (IF is the keyword), they will produce large hail and maybe a tornado.

Phase 2 - Later in the evening, a line of storms will move through with the cold front. The main threat with this will be high wind, maybe hail, lesser tornado threat.

The wildcard is what happens overnight. Elevated storms are supposed to form. The grunge remnants and outflow boundaries left could either spice things up or derail them. I think the highest tornado risk will be around Salina to Manhattan.

Comment

• Did things get spiced up or derailed?
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        Did things get spiced up or derailed?
        It kind of looks like last night action is pulling the moisture more north and then east, which means dry line will be setup around and just west of wichita. Which means lesser threat.

Watch where the dry line is setting up this afternoon, and how fast is it moving east.

It looks like a very isolated threat for SC Kansas. But if there is a storm in your area, it will be severe.

Comment

• Will be interesting. Guessing we get nothing, which has been par for the course.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
            Will be interesting. Guessing we get nothing, which has been par for the course.
            Highest threat days are highest bust days. Something will happen in Kansas tonight though - will SC Kansas? Less probable than NE Kansas. I can see an outflow boundary sinking south towards Wichita from last night convection near the ks/nebraska border. Will that increase the likelihood of severe weather?

Some storm chasers I know are planning on setting up near Wellington.

The NOAA Vortex (mobile doppler) research team gave up on the dry line, and chased the warm front and came up bust on the night of the Greensburg tornado. The were initially setup almost perfectly for intercepting the Greensburg one.

Comment

• (If this has already been discussed in the thread, then my bad.)

Is it just me, or has the wind this late winter and early spring been horrendous? Is there a way such a thing is tracked and compared y/y?

Super cold weather, and super hot weather both equally suck around here, but nothing feels more like a big middle finger from Mother Nature than just days, and days, and days of 30-50 MPH winds. You can do NOTHING outside, and you can't even really escape it in your house because you can still see it and hear it.

My wife and I are literally praying for the day when we can leave here. Ugh. Such a black hole of a place to live if you enjoy spending time outdoors.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                Is it just me, or has the wind this late winter and early spring been horrendous? Is there a way such a thing is tracked and compared y/y?
                Yeah the wife and I were saying how it's never been like this in our lifetime. Weird.

I used to windsurf nearly every day of the summer when I was a kid and would piss and moan about lack of wind many of the days ... wish I had a board now.

Comment

• Saw on one of the news sites that McConnell AFB is flying out it's aircraft as a precaution in case of bad weather.

As far as the winds discussion, I don't remember it always being so windy overnight. Seems like if it was windy during the day, it would be less windy or calm at night. Now it seems like even after midnight it's still as windy as it was during the day.
                  Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
                    Saw on one of the news sites that McConnell AFB is flying out it's aircraft as a precaution in case of bad weather.

As far as the winds discussion, I don't remember it always being so windy overnight. Seems like if it was windy during the day, it would be less windy or calm at night. Now it seems like even after midnight it's still as windy as it was during the day.
                    I’ve lived longer than most here and can’t recall this much wind since Ross and I lived through the ‘dust bowl’ days in the 30’s… I’m still removing dust and sand from my crevices.
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I’ve lived longer than most here and can’t recall this much wind since Ross and I lived through the ‘dust bowl’ days in the 30’s… I’m still removing dust and sand from my crevices.
                      Ewwwwwww.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Highest threat days are highest bust days. Something will happen in Kansas tonight though - will SC Kansas? Less probable than NE Kansas. I can see an outflow boundary sinking south towards Wichita from last night convection near the ks/nebraska border. Will that increase the likelihood of severe weather?

Some storm chasers I know are planning on setting up near Wellington.

The NOAA Vortex (mobile doppler) research team gave up on the dry line, and chased the warm front and came up bust on the night of the Greensburg tornado. The were initially setup almost perfectly for intercepting the Greensburg one.
                        So my kid has a game tonight starting at 8:45pm way out east, and I live in Goddard. Don't wanna get trapped on the east side with baseball size hail at 10:00pm when his game ends.

High risk? Low risk? What? Help me SB Shock Kenobi, you're my only hope.
                        Last edited by Kung Wu; April 29, 2022, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• Dryline looks to be just about on a n/s line approaching Hutch right now. But the bigger storms are firing off behind it north of Dodge City.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
                            Dryline looks to be just about on a n/s line approaching Hutch right now. But the bigger storms are firing off behind it north of Dodge City.
                            Yah it looks like a jet streak is helping prop those up. It’ll be interesting to see what happens when the streak hits the dry line in a bit.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                              Is it just me, or haSuper cold weather, and super hot weather both equally suck around here, but nothing feels more like a big middle finger from Mother Nature than just days, and days, and days of 30-50 MPH winds.
                              It's kinda like in an end-of-the-world horror story that starts out with an apocalyptic-esque deserted gas station on the side of the highway with sand blown all up against is like snow drifts. And the sun is beaming down, glaring on the desert sands while the winds sandblast anything in it's way. And then it pans over to a billboard declaring KU the '22 national champs while sitting on 5 level 1 violations.

Comment

• Seems like the dryline's eastward movement has slowed a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X