RV Life Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
    Ok, so here is an honest question. If I were to add airbags or any other suspension upgrade that isn't a new axle, to my truck, how is the payload affected and who decides that?
    Nothing changes the DOT sticker payload in your doorjam, short of the automotive equivalent of an act of congress.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Nothing changes the DOT sticker payload in your doorjam, short of the automotive equivalent of an act of congress.
      Not doubting this. I just think there should be a way to this since we know that the various components contribute.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
        Not trying to come off as condescending, but I don’t think you are comprehending what I said, or understand what I’m talking about. It sounds like you are the type of person that buys new cars and gets your oil changed at the dealership.

Companies absolutely stand behind products providing performance and capability beyond factory setup and ratings. Those products are also DOT approved and licensed accordingly. That’s why a product that costs about $50 to make retails at 1000%. You are paying for the cost and licensing and insurance due to the capability modifications. That’s why there are warnings about how companies are not liable for damages from improper installation or use.

You are correct, people don’t go swapping cabs to change the payload ratings. But the amount of people rebuilding trucks is higher than you expect, and nobody goes looking for a cab from a 1 ton to swap onto a 1 ton frame. They go looking for whatever is available. The VIN follows the cab, but ratings depend on the capability of the vehicle.

People who don’t understand exactly what their vehicles are capable of, what different component modifications do and why, and have a general lack of understanding of how/why their vehicle works the way it does are not the type of people who have the understanding to make changes to their vehicles that change the payload capabilities.

There is a whole big world outside of suburban America and just because the thought of something you don’t understand makes you uncomfortable doesn’t mean it’s wrong or illegal. Yes, there are legal ramifications to doing something wrong, but it’s not as totalitarian as you make it out to be.

Anywho, in short factory ratings are just that. Understand your vehicle and it’s capabilities as equipped (and operate within them) and you will be just fine.
        Not to sound condescending but when you post stuff like this I imagine you as a character on the Red Green show, and your trucks as one of their projects.

I'll repeat myself and let you argue to the air about this imagined reality of DOT ratings gray area.

Call or contact any of the following:

State trooper
        State commercial vehicle regulatory body
        Your insurance company
        A relevant attorney

And let me know what they say when you ask them... "I added [insert suspension/towing mod] to my truck, does that now mean I can ignore the official manufacturer DOT ratings on GVWR or GCWR?"

Do you think that works for heavy truck drivers? Not a chance in hell, right? Why then would it work for JimBob and his 400K mile, Dubya-era, light duty pickup with parts from three different donor trucks?

How about a link of an aftermarket company which literally says that their modification allows a person to tow or haul more than what the manufacturer has approved with DOT.

There's zero gray area here, no matter your interpretation or spin. You and me are effectively arguing over if the world is flat or if we landed on the moon, and you're on the LOL side of the debate. If you took your angle to literally any heavy duty truck forum or facebook page and posted your take on this issue you'd get lambasted so bad you'd need to create another login if you ever wanted to post again.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
          One other question: Should we consider a cell phone booster for the RV? I need to stay connected with work on weekends and vacations for texts and phone calls with minimal work on the laptop. Also will probably use cell phone hotspot to watch streaming TV when inside the RV.
          Folks talk about the weBoost stuff as legitimately helping to add a bar or two to your signal, but you need to actually have at least some sort of a signal to grab.

If you're legitimately outside of cell coverage, which is a thing especially if you are camping in the western US (improved campground, boondocking/dispersed, or otherwise), then as of right now you are sort of SOL for email/phone, for the most part. When my wife and I go to a specific area in SW CO for dispersed camping I take the two track forest service road 45 minutes up the hill to the top of the pass to check work email every couple of days.

There are devices that allow texting via satellite (spot, garmin inreach, etc), but the functionality of how those systems work means they're mostly for emergency use to someone on the other end that you've kind of trained on the process required. There are some mobile satellite internet systems out there, but they're bulky and darn expensive - both equipment and service. Lusk's Starlink tech will be the game changer, but that's still a couple of years off. Right now the beta folks on that are only able to use it at a fixed receiver position - no traveling around.

Comment

There's two big players in the air bag market - Firestone and Air Lift. Here are their takes, which remarkably make it 100% clear that they are NOT telling you to tow or haul more than your truck's official rating.

Q: Does this allow my truck to carry more weight?

A: Absolutely not. Only the vehicle manufacturer can set the GVWR. The Ride-Rite™ air springs simply allow you to carry the maximum capacity of your truck more comfortably and without suspension sag and the poor handling that comes with it.
            Get answers to all your questions about Ride-Rite Air Springs products.

Q: Will adding air springs increase the Weight Rating of my vehicle?

A: No. Adding air springs will not change the Weight Rating (GVWR, GCWR, GAWR) of your vehicle. Our air springs simply increase your suspension’s ability to support heavy loads. We strongly recommend that you never exceed your vehicle’s Weight Ratings. Exceeding your vehicle’s rating is dangerous and will void your Air Lift warranty.

Comment

Not to sound condescending but when you post stuff like this I imagine you as a character on the Red Green show, and your trucks as one of their projects.

I'll repeat myself and let you argue to the air about this imagined reality of DOT ratings gray area.

Call or contact any of the following:

State trooper
              State commercial vehicle regulatory body
              Your insurance company
              A relevant attorney

And let me know what they say when you ask them... "I added [insert suspension/towing mod] to my truck, does that now mean I can ignore the official manufacturer DOT ratings on GVWR or GCWR?"

Do you think that works for heavy truck drivers? Not a chance in hell, right? Why then would it work for JimBob and his 400K mile, Dubya-era, light duty pickup with parts from three different donor trucks?

How about a link of an aftermarket company which literally says that their modification allows a person to tow or haul more than what the manufacturer has approved with DOT.

There's zero gray area here, no matter your interpretation or spin. You and me are effectively arguing over if the world is flat or if we landed on the moon, and you're on the LOL side of the debate. If you took your angle to literally any heavy duty truck forum or facebook page and posted your take on this issue you'd get lambasted so bad you'd need to create another login if you ever wanted to post again.
              Private and commercial are apples and oranges. And actually, that’s exactly how oil tankers are built. Tankers are built in the shop of the trucking company to spec of the payload. I have friends that do that up the road from me for Crowley Petroleum.

I think the issue here is that you get your info from online forums and Facebook. Even the dudes posting there say that is the last place to get good advice.

Look man, modifying isn’t for everyone. You’re right, there are not a lot of people that are out there doing it. But just because it’s not common doesn’t mean there aren’t ways to do it legally and safely. It’s not black and white, but it’s definitely not a world that just anyone can venture into.

It really is quite alright for people not to understand and for you to not understand. You can even personally attack me again if you feel emasculated.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Well, we made it home with the camper! Everyone at Harper Camper Land was very nice and helpful. First time I’ve ever towed anything in my life, but it wasn’t bad at all. Two things:

It was a bit bouncy. Much more like riding in my Jeep Wrangler than the sedan feel of my Ram 1500.

I shouldn’t watch the MPG while I’m driving. A consistent 6 on the highway makes me throw up in my mouth.

We’ve got a trip to Council Grove Lake planned for a July weekend. Going to try and find a “trial” location close to home in about two weeks.

Cant wait to empty the sewage!
                Livin the dream

Comment

Well, we made it home with the camper! Everyone at Harper Camper Land was very nice and helpful. First time I’ve ever towed anything in my life, but it wasn’t bad at all. Two things:

It was a bit bouncy. Much more like riding in my Jeep Wrangler than the sedan feel of my Ram 1500.

I shouldn’t watch the MPG while I’m driving. A consistent 6 on the highway makes me throw up in my mouth.

We’ve got a trip to Council Grove Lake planned for a July weekend. Going to try and find a “trial” location close to home in about two weeks.

Be careful emptying sewage and don’t be afraid to seek advice from strangers…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Comment

Do you have a weight distributing hitch? I know your new TT isn't massive, but it's likely big enough that a WDH would be a big help. I'm sure you've already ran that idea to ground on your own.

Comment

Do you have a weight distributing hitch? I know your new TT isn't massive, but it's likely big enough that a WDH would be a big help. I'm sure you've already ran that idea to ground on your own.
                        Yep. Have a weight distribution hitch. No issues with sway or control, just bouncy.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

Sweet!

The MPG is something I'm definitely NOT looking forward to!

I'm also in your spot of never having towed anything (other than a small 5x8 open utility trailer to haul around a riding mower or take stuff to the dump). There's going to be a big learning curve.

Comment

Well, you make it out yet?

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Well, you make it out yet?
                              We are out at Glenn Elder State Park (near Beloit) as we speak! Left work at 3:45. Not early enough for a first outing. It took about an hour to load the food and clothes and hitch the trailer (1 mile away).

Two hours to make the 100 mile drive from McPherson. The camper pulled much better this time (less bouncy), possibly due to the roads. I felt comfortable at up to 69 mph and we got 11 mpg this time around. Double digits is a big deal to me.

About an hour to back it in (two try’s), deploy the stabilizers, level it, and hook up electric and water.

We deployed the Coleman camp grill and made dogs and brats. Oh yeah, four beers in too! Ate, took the dogs for a walk and did the dishes.

The English Bulldog is not a fan of the heat! The camper has cooled down to 75, and we are hopeful the fridge will be cool by morning. The beer and staying cool in the cooler.

So far so good! The wife and I haven’t yelled at each other or the kids yet!
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Often when we would visit family in Oklahoma just off Lake Tenkiller, we opted to stay in their RV rather than using the guest room in the house. It had all the amenities and the A/C kept it very cool in the summer.

Comment

Working...
                                X