• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m within my limit bitches!
    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Yeah, I think you sorta repeated me there.

There is however a big difference legally if for some reason the court or a lawyer wants to come after you for GVWR issues after an accident. That is most certainly a thing. Get into an accident while overloaded and you better grab a tub of Vaseline and break out the 401K to put an attorney on retainer. It's why basically all 1/2 ton guys who tow heavy should be paranoid, and why a good chunk of 3/4 ton diesel guys should be concerned. You can overload anything, sure, but pretty easy to do on a 1/2 ton, and shockingly easy on a 3/4 ton diesel.
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
        Not really.

If I am understanding you correctly, what you are asserting is that once a vehicle leaves the factory, any modifications to it do not change the legal weight limitations. That is not true.

For instance, a VIN number only follows a cab, nothing else. You can take an F-250 cab, put it on an F-350 frame and drive train, and tow to the specs of an F-350. Everything you do to modify a vehicle changes the legal weight requirements.

Before I got it, my daily 2500 was a commercial vehicle that pulled over and was weighed on DOT scales while under payload. Due to the modifications made to the suspensions, even though he exceeded the factory payload ratings he was still legal because he was not exceeding the weight ratings the modifications provided.
        People aren't swapping cabs and chassis to gain legal GVWR. Not in any statistically significant numbers. And certainly not in trucks that aren't already part of the way to the junkyard.

There are entire threads on as many truck forums as you can count of guys trying to legally re-rate the GVWR on a given truck. Cliff's notes is it's not a thing.

Modifications after the fact matter not a bit legally, outside of their impact on the static weight of the truck and how that relates to the working load left in GVWR. No aftermarket company in the country is going to shoulder the liability of saying their products increase the official DOT sticker payload capacity, to say nothing of the fact that it's not a thing.

This feels a little like a bizzaro world conversation. Take what you posted above and go to the HD truck forum of your choice and let me know the feedback you get. Better yet call a state trooper, or an attorney who specializes in the trucking industry. Call you insurance company and ask them if they'd cover you in an accident where accident investigators discovered you were overweight.
        Last edited by SHOCKvalue; May 29, 2021, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          The difference between a 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton is about 1/4 ton.

Droppin' knowledge like second period English, yo.
          What's ironic is that most 1/2 tons are actually 3/4 tons on average, most 3/4 tons are roughly 1-1.5 tons, and most 1 tons are 1.5-2 tons.

Go figure. They work well to haul around 2x4's though. The 2x4's that are actually 1.5x3.5.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

People aren't swapping cabs and chassis to gain legal GVWR. Not in any statistically significant numbers. And certainly not in trucks that aren't already part of the way to the junkyard.

There are entire threads on as many truck forums as you can count of guys trying to legally re-rate the GVWR on a given truck. Cliff's notes is it's not a thing.

Modifications after the fact matter not a bit legally, outside of their impact on the static weight of the truck and how that relates to the working load left in GVWR. No aftermarket company in the country is going to shoulder the liability of saying their products increase the official DOT sticker payload capacity, to say nothing of the fact that it's not a thing.

This feels a little like a bizzaro world conversation. Take what you posted above and go to the HD truck forum of your choice and let me know the feedback you get. Better yet call a state trooper, or an attorney who specializes in the trucking industry. Call you insurance company and ask them if they'd cover you in an accident where accident investigators discovered you were overweight.
            Not trying to come off as condescending, but I don’t think you are comprehending what I said, or understand what I’m talking about. It sounds like you are the type of person that buys new cars and gets your oil changed at the dealership.

Companies absolutely stand behind products providing performance and capability beyond factory setup and ratings. Those products are also DOT approved and licensed accordingly. That’s why a product that costs about $50 to make retails at 1000%. You are paying for the cost and licensing and insurance due to the capability modifications. That’s why there are warnings about how companies are not liable for damages from improper installation or use.

You are correct, people don’t go swapping cabs to change the payload ratings. But the amount of people rebuilding trucks is higher than you expect, and nobody goes looking for a cab from a 1 ton to swap onto a 1 ton frame. They go looking for whatever is available. The VIN follows the cab, but ratings depend on the capability of the vehicle.

People who don’t understand exactly what their vehicles are capable of, what different component modifications do and why, and have a general lack of understanding of how/why their vehicle works the way it does are not the type of people who have the understanding to make changes to their vehicles that change the payload capabilities.

There is a whole big world outside of suburban America and just because the thought of something you don’t understand makes you uncomfortable doesn’t mean it’s wrong or illegal. Yes, there are legal ramifications to doing something wrong, but it’s not as totalitarian as you make it out to be.

Anywho, in short factory ratings are just that. Understand your vehicle and it’s capabilities as equipped (and operate within them) and you will be just fine.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Ok, so here is an honest question. If I were to add airbags or any other suspension upgrade that isn't a new axle, to my truck, how is the payload affected and who decides that?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                Ok, so here is an honest question. If I were to add airbags or any other suspension upgrade that isn't a new axle, to my truck, how is the payload affected and who decides that?
                I am also considering this for the purpose of better handling with the trailer...not necessarily to increase capacity. Interested in thought on this.
                Livin the dream

Comment

One other question: Should we consider a cell phone booster for the RV? I need to stay connected with work on weekends and vacations for texts and phone calls with minimal work on the laptop. Also will probably use cell phone hotspot to watch streaming TV when inside the RV.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                    One other question: Should we consider a cell phone booster for the RV? I need to stay connected with work on weekends and vacations for texts and phone calls with minimal work on the laptop. Also will probably use cell phone hotspot to watch streaming TV when inside the RV.
                    I'd say not yet. We have had little problems with cell signal but could/would change depending if you choose to be more off-grid. If you have problems, then shop signal amplifiers. Now, our hotspot tends to get used up quick. There are some workarounds out there to bypass the data limit.

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

I'd say not yet. We have had little problems with cell signal but could/would change depending if you choose to be more off-grid. If you have problems, then shop signal amplifiers. Now, our hotspot tends to get used up quick. There are some workarounds out there to bypass the data limit.
                      Since we have unlimited data, I assume I can’t use up my hotspot. Am I missing something?
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Most hotspots are limited even if data is not. I have Cricket with unlimited data but hotspot caps at 15 gig. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                          Depends on the current limitations of your current truck.

My 2500 d-max has a 14 bolt full float and the same brake setup and frame as a one ton. The only differences are the leaf packs and shocks in the back. I upgraded the shocks and put airbags on it, effectively making it a one ton when the bags are inflated without sacrificing ride quality unloaded.
                          Last edited by shock; May 31, 2021, 12:24 PM.
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I am also considering this for the purpose of better handling with the trailer...not necessarily to increase capacity. Interested in thought on this.
                            Yes. Airbags are always better. And spend the money on a load leveling hitch and sway brake.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

Yes. Airbags are always better. And spend the money on a load leveling hitch and sway brake.
                              Thank you for the advice! I already have the hitch and sway brake.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X