No announcement yet.

Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did 20 miles this morning. Hit the sweet spot after early morning rain and rain at 11 AM. It felt good to be back on the bike, but I had a serious leg workout in the gym yesterday and there wasn't much left in the tank. Tomorrow, 25-35 miles, going to go at a snail's pace, dragging the ball and chain.
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Maddog....While on subject....looks like there are a couple of small lakes in Andover in the Lake Crest (?) development? This would be just north of Central near the High and Middle schools. Any ideas if they have any paths aroound the lake(s)?

Comment

• Just a few feet short of 29 miles this early afternoon. Just BEAUTIFUL weather conditions. 70 degrees and sunny. The bad part....2 hrs 45 minutes. How pray tell does that happen?

Those bicyclists in Wichita will understand the road closure signs along the corridor on the east side they are working on. THIS was not the day to ride between 127th and 143rd street. Not after a days worth of rain. At one point it was the cyclocross event from hell because the mud was caking up everyting on the bikes to the point that the wheels WOULDN'T TURN ANYMORE. There was almost 4 inches of mud and clay caked between the tires and forks and we had to walk the bikes for nearly 1/4 mile to get to a safe spot to clear the clay out so the tires would turn. This is the sort of thing that happens when the wife leads the way. But all in all it really was a grand time. As we rounded the corner near home all I could think of was how much fun it was and how great it could be to slip out tonight and do a quick ride, maybe 10-15 miles at pace. I asked the wife how she was and she just had this look on her face and she said "I'm dead." I just wanted to bust out laughing, wanted to, but I didn't. SO there you have it, my first cyclocross.

EDIT: Corrected the path to avoid between 127 and 143 until it dries up, NOT 143 and 159

Made it down and up the hill where constructing bridge between 143 and 159. Then we hit the mud just west of this area.

Last edited by JVShocker; September 12, 2020, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• Blew out my hamstring. Did legs at the gym, my trainer added weight to my hamstrings, all seemed good. Got on the bike to do 35, made it 12. From the beginning there was pain behind and above the posterior side of my leg. It just kept getting worse and climbed up to my ass. Quit riding and came home. Could barely walk in the door. I can no longer straighten my leg and walking with a limp is challenging. This sh!t hurts! Maybe off the horse for a few more days/week or two. It was a top 20 day to ride as well and it only gets better into next week and I'm on the shelf. Damn.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Golf today, no riding. Practice hike tomorrow, no riding. Hope to get in rides Mon, Tues, and Wed next week.

JV, enjoyed your pictures. Looks like you were on the limestone part of the Redbud path. I really enjoy that four mile stretch of path.

As far as Flint Hills, that is the premier country club and housing development in the Wichita area. “Patio homes” sell for a cool 1.5 mill. Single family homes sit on one acre lots. It takes high end housing to another level in the Wichita area. The development sits at the SE corner of Pawnee and Andover Rd. You can take bike paths along Andover Rd to get there. Gated community but we got lucky and were able to slip in. It was a very cool cloudy afternoon about 60 degrees throughout the ride. I busted out the fall gear including the long sleeve base layer and tights over the biking shorts and I was comfortable throughout the ride.

As for the Crescent Lakes area, I’ve ridden through there many times including twice on Friday. Nice neighborhood to ride through. There are a couple of paths (I wouldn’t call them bike paths) in the neighborhood but none going around a lake that I can tell. This is one of the developments where the prime lots back up to the lake for the view, but I don’t think the lakes have a lot of recreational opportunities.

Comment

• Mdog- yep. Wife hadn't been out there. She wants to go again. Not sure where to ride tomorrow. Can't go in the AM as the TDF has one of its toughest stages tomorrow of the entire 3 week race. So probably like today, not till closer to lunch time. Funny thing, after I rinsed off both bikes pretty well, I noticed a quiet grinding in the front wheel hub. So I took it all apart tonight, cleaned it out and the bearings, regreased it and put it all back together. I was telling wife, "just taking it around the block to listen to it" and she joked "you better be home by 10:30." If I had to guess, I've put more miles on the trailbike in the last month (between 400-500) than that bike got in its entire lifetime (15-20 yrs) prior (cumulative).

MVJ - If it makes you feel better, I'll take two rides tomorrow. One for you with the wife at a relaxed pace, and then my ride tomorrow night. LMK.

Comment

• Wow. What a just remarkable day for bicycling. My apologies to MVJ. The weather is just so beautiful here. Low to mid 70s. Sunny. Almost no wind. Wonderful to get out and explore Andover to (almost) Augusta, KS from Wichita. Brutal start...no wonder the wife had such a rough trip back yesterday, I think she was riding on a flat tire. Valve stem was completely blown so I had to do a quick replace of her tube before we started. Hope everyone can keep healthy and don't worry about working out in the gym on your hammies. Just enjoy the ride.
                21 miles in an hour and 42 minutes.

Andover park area

Redbud trail east of Andover

end of the redbud trail at Kellogg....actually goes nearly to Kellogg but you can't cross (about 50 feet further east of here)

more places to explore way out east

a bench to watch the sunset

my attempt at panoramic shots on the trail (focus! focus!!)

Comment

• Ok JV, now you’ve got me inspired to ride the gravel on Redbud again. I think tomorrow’s ride will be Chisholm Creek Park to the end of Redbud and back. A couple of notes about the end of the path by the bridge out sign... first, which is of prime importance to us old guys, is that’s a perfect pee spot! You’ve got to know where those are when you’re out on a long ride. Second, as you look out across US400 and wonder how are they ever going to get a bridge across the highway to get the path to Augusta, consider this... 5 years ago there was a bridge there! Then in one day, they just took it away. I’m sure there was a good reason for doing it, but sure seems short sited to take it away knowing a bridge is needed In that spot for the trail. Oh well...

Comment

• You guys suck. By the way, benches are for the stoner bike riders to share a blunt on breaks, not for watching sunsets. They are also for the people that rent the electric bikes on bike share to have a cigarette during their break from their. intensive workout on a motorized bike.

I worked out arms today, hobbling a bit around the gym. Leg is feeling better, but not good. May ride a few miles in low tomorrow just to keep the rust off the wagon. If all goes well, I'll ride on Tuesday with my wife. We all know that's low intensity.

Did I mention that you guys suck? Jealousy is a bad thing.

Comment

• It really is a beautiful ride out there. The first time I rode it was just a few weeks ago, about 8:30 at night, and I had to stop because I had no idea where I was, it was getting dark, and a straight line ride home was about 13 miles. And I can't believe there used to be a bridge. I thought maybe someone just had that sign sitting around and put it there to keep people out of the area. I was taking pictures of street signs because I wanted to be able to find a way to safely get to Augusta (if it even possible). I imagine that ride will be even more enjoyable in late fall and (even for us) WINTER. I am very quickly turning into a gravel preferred rider. Especially considering the bicycle I'm riding on has NO bells and whistles and probably was less than $150 from Target.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                        You guys suck. By the way, benches are for the stoner bike riders to share a blunt on breaks, not for watching sunsets. They are also for the people that rent the electric bikes on bike share to have a cigarette during their break from their. intensive workout on a motorized bike.

I worked out arms today, hobbling a bit around the gym. Leg is feeling better, but not good. May ride a few miles in low tomorrow just to keep the rust off the wagon. If all goes well, I'll ride on Tuesday with my wife. We all know that's low intensity.

Did I mention that you guys suck? Jealousy is a bad thing.
                        My job is done here, then. :-)

Comment

• If it makes you feel better I spent 6 hours doing yard work this afternoon

Comment

• Did a little mapping trying to figure out how to get to August and ran across someone who had posted this (took her name off for privacy?)

Comment

• Maddog - You ever ride the trails at Santa Fe Lake? If we bicycle out there do we still have to pay $8 to use even though we aren't parking? Is it per person? Group?

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
                                Maddog - You ever ride the trails at Santa Fe Lake? If we bicycle out there do we still have to pay $8 to use even though we aren't parking? Is it per person? Group?
                                State park? In Nebraska, and I believe Ks is the same, entry fees are based on motor vehicle. A bike is not a motor vehicle and therefore, free. If you drag your bike to a state park on a motor vehicle, then per vehicle fees apply. We ran into confusion at Mahoney in Nebraska. It only took a minute to straighten it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X