No announcement yet.

Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ralston Keno. A blissful mix of stale beer, broken dreams, fat people and 99 cent tacos.
    20200902_171041.jpg
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• The fat broads brought their own low fat salad dressing. The pounds will just melt away!
      20200902_171448.jpg
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Home. 16.4 on top of 26+ this morning gets me to around 43 for the day. 30 tomorrow, 20 Friday and 35 Sat will get me to about 125. I'll take it.

If zi can get my riding partner to do 75 on Sat, it'll be a good day!
        Screenshot_20200902-175833_MapMyRide.jpg

Comment

• 33.4 tonight. Overlayed the route (blue) on top of yesterdays (red). I'm at 107 miles since Sunday, and I still have Thursday and Saturday to go (Friday rest day). Should EASILY cross the 150 mark for the week. I'm at just over 2,700 miles since October 1 of last year. Even with the months off in February/March, I'll still make 3,000 for the year. Riding at night has really gotten me a lot of extra miles. I don't recall who made the suggestion many many posts/pages ago (MVJ?) about bicycling at night, but that's about all I do anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
            33.4 tonight. Overlayed the route (blue) on top of yesterdays (red). I'm at 107 miles since Sunday, and I still have Thursday and Saturday to go (Friday rest day). Should EASILY cross the 150 mark for the week. I'm at just over 2,700 miles since October 1 of last year. Even with the months off in February/March, I'll still make 3,000 for the year. Riding at night has really gotten me a lot of extra miles. I don't recall who made the suggestion many many posts/pages ago (MVJ?) about bicycling at night, but that's about all I do anymore.

I love riding at night. Its cooler, less bikers, almost zero pedestrians and tons of wildlife. Just watch out for skunks, I got sprayed once. With better battery technology and higher lumen led headlights, you can see the whole trail and its safe.

There are so many advantages to riding at night, I dont know where to begin, just don't tell too many people or the trails will fill up. Tonight is the one night in Omaha where the trails will be busy. Two competing taco rides, one on the Wabash and one in Bellevue. Not sure which one I'll do, but I plan on doing one or the other.

Comment

• Oh, and if you haven't riden at night, do spend some cash and get good lights. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg, but it is important to get at least 500 lumens (I have 800 lumens) and good battery life. Read reviews. Make sure they are usb rechargeable as well. I buy tubes at Walmart, I buy presta valve adapters at WalMart, don't tell anyone, but I've even bought a helmet at WalMart, don't buy headlights at WalMart.

Comment

• Got in 29 yesterday touring Andover. Going to ride the river trail tomorrow. Colbert Hills golf today... almost as good as riding a bike :)

JV, I was trying to follow your route. Recognized Redbud and Armour Bike Blvd. But when you get around Kellogg, I’m not following. Is there a path down there, or just side streets?

Comment

• Another 28.8 miles tonight. 2-1/2 hours on the mountain bike. 135 miles in the last 5 days. If anyone reading this has thought about bicycling...note: There will be times when your legs, brain and body will be telling you "go home, put your feet up and watch something on TV." It took almost 40 minutes of riding to find my legs tonight. If you go at an even pace, you may surprisingly find your legs. Didn't help that the wind was blowing out of the northeast because of the cool front. Every fiber of my being said "go home" until the 40 minute mark. That's when I saw some newly poured concrete on the Redbud path out near K96. All of a sudden my legs felt lighter than air. Continued the trip out to Andover Park (redbud trail). Ran across 5 bicyclists tonight riding in the dark with lights on....good thing to see.There were other good things to see, but may be labeled as NSFW (or SN).

Maddog: Also, on that section between K96 and 127....they had some newly poured concrete where there was wood form and rebar a few days earlier. The section along Kellogg (east of Woodlawn) on the map is actually Eastborough Park. Other than that they are side streets in the areas west of Eastborough. The route snakes along the north side of the wall. The other west-east street has a short climb and runs behind the VA (Waterman?). Its a fairly car-free route to get me out east, even if the road at Edgemoor and Waterman sucks - looks like it was repaired by the Hyde Elementary third grade class. Hope everyone is well. Tommorrow is a rest day thankfully off the bike. Work, yes, maybe go in at 9:30, but no riding. Unless I just get a last second itch to go on a short ride.

Comment

• JV, thanks for the info. I haven’t actually tried riding around in Eastborough, but it sounds like fun. My Andover ride goes through a couple of nice neighborhoods, has some long straightaways where you can go as fast as you want, nice bike trails on the Redbud, and eight miles riding the rural rail trails east of town. You get to sample all the fun stuff with that ride.

We did 31.5 this morning on the River path and Canal Route path. If anyone is thinking of riding the Canal Route path it’s a little messed up between 2nd and Douglas. Still rideable, but you have to leave the path and ride over some dirt.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• I'm really having a Jekyll and Hyde riding week. I only have 87 miles in, had a blowout on one Ride, but had my best ride maybe ever on Wednesday. My miles are way down, but tomorrow we have a 30 mile route, which will get me over 100 for the week. I'd be much happier if I had close to 150 with a 30 mile ride planned.

Comment

• On your blowout...you ride tubeless? What is the methodology for getting home? Another thing....The bike I want is a Tommaso LaForma. Italian design, NOT IN STOCK right now, highly rated, CALIPER BRAKE. From what I've been reading the disc brakes can make changing a tire out a little more difficult. Any info you can share?

Comment

• Its not catastrophic having a blowout, it just pisses you off. I rode in an area loaded with nails and crap, put a huge nail in the tire. Air leaked around the nail until I noticed it was almost flat. Inspected the tire, found the nail, pulled it, spun the tire to get the sealant in the hole, used a CO2 cartridge to fill the tire and kept riding. Its simple, but frustrating.

With tubeless, I find I ride over stuff I normally wouldn't. I hate having to stop to air up a tire. Also, CO2 doesn't cure the sealant very well, so when you get home, you drain and refill the tire with normal air, more work. You also have to add sealant to replace what was lost. In the end, it is a much quicker and simpler process than swapping a tube or attempting to patch on the road. I do keep an extra tube in case of a catastrophic flat, however.

As for disc brakes, I don't know what could be simpler, the rim just drops in. You don't need to disconnect the brakes to remove the rim. With narrow road tires it may be the same with disc or calipers, but with 32's or wider, caliper brakes get in the way and you need to disconnect the brakes to have clearance to free the wheel. I've never owned a road bike, though. All in all, the biggest pain in the ass isn't the brakes, but the derailleur on the back tire, I hate taking off and putting on a rear tire.

Comment

• Made it to 100 miles for the week, 115 total. Not as many as I wanted, but I got a hundred in. I saw a trophy buck today, along with a bunch of does. Too many turkeys to count, almost hit a squirrel running down the path- it was trying g to get out of the way and I was trying to avoid, but we were zigging and zapping in unison. No skunks. It was a glorious morning ride, almost a sightseeing tour. Oh yeah, no wind!

Screenshot_20200905-110943_MapMyRide.jpg20200905_102733.jpg20200905_102705.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                              ...As for disc brakes, I don't know what could be simpler, the rim just drops in. You don't need to disconnect the brakes to remove the rim. With narrow road tires it may be the same with disc or calipers, but with 32's or wider, caliper brakes get in the way and you need to disconnect the brakes to have clearance to free the wheel. I've never owned a road bike, though. All in all, the biggest pain in the ass isn't the brakes, but the derailleur on the back tire, I hate taking off and putting on a rear tire.
                              Depends on the setup for a road and how flat the tire is but in some cases you need to disconnect the brakes. First hand experience with this doesn't make me look to good, but also shows how your body handles exhaustion mentally.

In 2010 I was training for a full distance triathlon. About 3 weeks before for my last big training weekend I scheduled doing an 8 hour adventure race Saturday and a long distance tri Sunday. After the adventure race drove 2 hours to my hotel near the tri. Got checked in and some food ordered then went to prep my road bike. Heard the front tube pop as I tried to air it up. Really wanted to just eat and go to bed but figured I'd better take care of it to limit rush in morning. Brought bike up to room, got tire off, changed tube all a slow process at end of day. Over a hour later I was still struggling to get tire back on and gave up resigned to the thought there would be no race for me the next morning. Woke up next morning, took one look at bike, disconnected brakes, tire mounted right back on, 5 minutes later with a little adjustment to brakes to prevent rubbing and I was good to go. Felt rather stupid but had my best tri of the season.

Comment

• Tough to see but if you look down the path you can see the turkey. I need to work on my biking while simultaneously photographing skills.Screenshot_20200906-212918_Messages.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X