No announcement yet.

Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18.4 Saturday night miles pulling the wife. 17.8 tonight dragging the wife down the redbud trail late at night. Her first trip bicycling down the trail when its that dark. Took an hour and 35 minutes (she was pretty nervouse about beiing able to only see so many feet in front of her. SO that made 153 for last week. She was surprised by how long the trip took because when you're solely focused on the path directly ahead, you kind of lose track of distance and time. (she thought we were gone aboout an hour). Hope everyone is well.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
      Tough to see but if you look down the path you can see the turkey. I need to work on my biking while simultaneously photographing skills.Screenshot_20200906-212918_Messages.jpg
      That looks sunny and hot. Time of day was that photo? And was it as windy there up north?

Comment

• Early evening today. About 6-630. 93°. Light wind from the north. Windy as hell this morning, hence the late start. Lots of rain forecast this week. The photo is on the Missori River levee south of downtown. Tremendous wildlife on the river side, maybe some industrial waste on the other side as BNSF has tracks and a small switch yard adjacent the levee. Its kind of cool watching the railroad empty new cars for delivery. The occasional smell of creosote can get a bit old.
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• The ride north of downtown is interesting. Once you get past the airport, you are on top of the river levee about 30 yards from the bank. There are places where if you miss a turn,, you're wet!! They load barges along this portion of the trail. The trail then moves a bit west and some of the foliage can be breathtaking. There is a portion of the trail that dips into wetlands and borders large hills.

I'm thinking about getting a small, standalone camera to shoot pictures while I ride. Its kind of a pain to try to use your phone as a camera while bicycling. I have my bike app open, my playlist open, bluetooth to my speaker and watch running, I think it would be simpler to just keep a camera in my jersey pocket and use it.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• This could get longwinded....so if you're just looking for data: about 20 miles Rode Prairie Sunset Trail in West Wichita for first time. Loved it. (pics below)

Yes, I still have plans to bike tonight, but the weather did not feel all that bad this AM so we ventured out to try and find the Prairie Sunset trail and ride to Goddard. I've done a lot of bicycling in west Wichita, but it was many years ago, mostly city bicycling, riding out west on Maple through various neighborhoods to Tyler or Maize, then on to the Zoo or out to 53rd street north and to Kechi. This was different. Took a bit to try and find the silly trail and a decent place to park. But we did. Finally. There is no way the early part of this trail can be ridden on a road bike. There's a fair amount of loose gravel and rocks in the Wichita portion, otherwise known as "puncture city" I'm sure. Actually, the way it all started was kind of like a scene from "Better Off Dead" with John Cusack, or "Lane Meyer" as we call him. We first discovered the trail was dirt, and it was like mountain bike trails, jumps, rocks, drops, trees to narrowly miss. Like that scene in the movie where Lane Meyer is trying to ski a slope called the K12, and he and his girlfriend are getting ready for the drop in, and he's like "I can't do this. I'm gonna kill myself." And then his girlfriend (french) Monique says "you go that way very fast...when something gets in your way...TURN!" So I go first and I don't get but 25-30 feet and I brake and yelling back to the wife...."NO NO NO NO, you'll KILL yourself!"

Someone pointed us in the direction of the railroad corridor trail, which is far different from the "terrain park" trails. The trail is beautiful. Decent amount of coverage from sun at times. You have to stop every mile (or so) to cross a street, but they are (currently) pretty lightly traveled (until development hits, I'm sure. Some beautiful bridges to ride across, and amazing scenery. The other thing I really notice is the amount of bicyclists out there.

Bicyclists....now this is not just a west side thing I'm sure. But we live in Kansas. People are supposed to be polite here. One thing I have never ever done in my life is yell ahead "on your left!" and then go racing by someone. I mean, its just rude. I don't do it. Someone did it out on the trail out west and I would just like to say "hey, this AIN'T New York City. I'm glad you got a new bicycle and you're enjoying the trail, but let's not be rude, kay!!??" It happened a couple of nights ago out east, someone pulled that "on your left" thing and went racing by, someone on a nice hyrbid bike with disc brakes, Trek frame. So I followed him. Me on the $150 mountain bike we bought at Target almost 20 years ago. I had the light on, right behind him, and his speed was about 18-19 mph when he passed me (adrenalin and all I guess) but it slowed to down an average of about 15-17 for the next mile. So after the next stop I pulled back behind him again and said "hey thanks for the pull! How about I pull for a little bit!??" So I hit the pedals and was holding 24-26 mph down a paved trail and stopped at the next street to wait to cross. And waited....and waited...and waited...and then he comes riding up 15-20 seconds behind. I kind of wanted to say something to him along the lines I've heard in Letterkenny from Wayne and Dary. "That's a nice looking new bicycle! Too bad it doesn't come with legs. Say, when do the legs come in, anyway?" Point is, I always say hi or hello and then resume my riding. Be polite, people!

So you'll see lots of pictures....and the best part, nobody ever told me....and I'm really kind of disappointed in fellow riders who have ridden the trail. Goddard has a BICYCLE WASH STATION!!! It was unbelievable! It was hot, sunny, and windy, and I just rode the bike right through the bicycle wash station.

and finally.....there were some kids playing in the bicycle wash station too. :-)

PS....if there is ANYwhere decent to eat lunch near this trail in Goddard, please LMK. We're making this ride again next week.

Comment

• Bicycle wash station! I always thought they were called splash pads! We started using the bicycle wash stations a few weeks ago when it was in the upper 90s. If we could just keep the kids out of the bicycle wash stations, that'd be great.

Also, love the Better Off Dead references. I want my two dollars!

Comment

• Another 19.1 miles tonight in 1 hr 26 min. Almost the same distance covered this morning, but in 35 minutes less time. To be fair, we were just enjoying the AM ride and taking pictures. 38.6 for the day and a good start to the week. This week the weather looks WONDERFUL for cool weather cycling. I already got my gear out for Tuesday-Wednesday night just in case. Don't care if it rains, unless its just pouring, I'll ride the mtn bike. FAR SAFER ride in the rain. Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Comment

• Well JV, where did you start your Prairie Sunset ride from? There is really only one part of the trail that I thought was unrideable with a road bike and that is the 1/2 mile section from Tyler to Lark street. I see from one of your bridge pictures you were on that section. However once you get west of Lark street it’s clear sailing clear to Goddard and on to Garden Plain. You definitely need to do that. Lots of bridges and even a tunnel to ride through all ending in a nice neighborhood to take your victory lap in. Sorry, no recommendations on where to eat. I don’t even recall seeing an eatery along the entire trail.

BTW, if you enjoyed the Prairie Sunset trail, I highly recommend you take the Redbud east of Andover to its conclusion out by Santa Fe Lake Rd. That’s sort of the East siders version of the Prairie Sunset.

No riding over the extended Labor Day weekend as we had family in town for a visit. We did get in a 28.5 mile ride this morning. Glad we did because the weather looks pretty unfavorable for a while, at least until Friday. However, big news on the ride. There is more new concrete on the Redbud! At the intersection of the K-96 and Redbud paths, you can now ride the Redbud east up and onto that first bridge. And more good news, they now have forms in and were putting the final grade on the section immediately east of that first bridge. Any new concrete on the Redbud is a very good thing!

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
                    Well JV, where did you start your Prairie Sunset ride from? There is really only one part of the trail that I thought was unrideable with a road bike and that is the 1/2 mile section from Tyler to Lark street. I see from one of your bridge pictures you were on that section. However once you get west of Lark street it’s clear sailing clear to Goddard and on to Garden Plain. You definitely need to do that. Lots of bridges and even a tunnel to ride through all ending in a nice neighborhood to take your victory lap in. Sorry, no recommendations on where to eat. I don’t even recall seeing an eatery along the entire trail.

BTW, if you enjoyed the Prairie Sunset trail, I highly recommend you take the Redbud east of Andover to its conclusion out by Santa Fe Lake Rd. That’s sort of the East siders version of the Prairie Sunset.

No riding over the extended Labor Day weekend as we had family in town for a visit. We did get in a 28.5 mile ride this morning. Glad we did because the weather looks pretty unfavorable for a while, at least until Friday. However, big news on the ride. There is more new concrete on the Redbud! At the intersection of the K-96 and Redbud paths, you can now ride the Redbud east up and onto that first bridge. And more good news, they now have forms in and were putting the final grade on the section immediately east of that first bridge. Any new concrete on the Redbud is a very good thing!
                    Thanks for the update. AT least they're working on it. :-)

We had family over too......but when 7:30 hit I was like....hate to eat and run but....

Comment

• Absolutely no riding today. Cold, rainy, windy. The triumvirate of not riding.

Comment

• Wow. No miles today. First time in a while I haven't ridden on a [edit] WEDNESDAY night. Rain sucks for bicycling. If this rain is cleared out tomorrow I'll be back on the bike. I was completely prepared for cold, those rides I came to LOVE last winter. But rain. No.

Did find this while I was staring out at the rain tonight....The Sportful Hot Pack NoRain Jacket (for bicycling)
                        According to review, these have thumb holes which prevent the sleeves from sliding up and keep water off the wrists and from getting to your arms.

Good 2 minute review on youtube:

https://www.wielrenner.shop/categorie/fietskleding/fietsjas/ ontdek hier alles over de Sportful Hot Pack 5 Jacket Review In-depth! https://www.wielrenner.sho...

And I found a cool winter cycling jacket to replace the layers of clothing I wore last winter. Suggested temp range from 32-50 degrees F. Already got it on order. :-)

Comment

• Back on the bike tonight. Woohoo it was almost like late fall riding, but not quite. 54 degrees with a slight north wind. 25.8 miles in just under 2 hours. 4 or 5 periods of drizzle/spitting while I was out. Ran across another cyclist on the redbud trail (gravel portion). We rode out to K96 talking much of the way. Wish I could say it was her....

But it was a him on a trail bike. Checked out the new section of pavement near K96, and then went around the mud to Central, then east to 143 and proceeded to Andover Park down rbud pathway. Not a lot of cyclists out there tonight. If you're new to cycling in the cold, one piece of good advice I would share is to take 1-2 flat sheets of newspaper and stick them under your jersey against your chest. Hopefully the new jacket will remedy this. Hope all are well.

Comment

• Zero miles this week. Cold, windy and rainy. Some heavy rain. I'm getting out tomorrow, Temps in mid 50's, winds 3-5 mph.

I wear UA cold weather gear, two layers. It keeps me good into the lower 40's. Probably only one layer tomorrow.

Comment

• 28.5 for me this afternoon doing the Andover tour. Went south on Andover Rd to the south entrance of Flint Hills. Last time I did this the gate was closed and turned around and came back up Andover Rd. No big deal. However this time the gate was open and the riff raff slipped in.

Lots of nice new roads through a new undeveloped portion of the development. Apparently they are expecting a large influx of billionaires moving into the area. Other than that, fairly uneventful.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
                                28.5 for me this afternoon doing the Andover tour. Went south on Andover Rd to the south entrance of Flint Hills. Last time I did this the gate was closed and turned around and came back up Andover Rd. No big deal. However this time the gate was open and the riff raff slipped in.

Lots of nice new roads through a new undeveloped portion of the development. Apparently they are expecting a large influx of billionaires moving into the area. Other than that, fairly uneventful.
                                Not familiar with the area. How was the weather? Any cloud breaks or completely overcast? Hoping for a little sun tomorrow AM for our ride.

Any lawyers on here? Anyone think it legal to ride public parking garages with a bicycle? What if they have a toll gate that I am able to ride around?

Comment

Working...
                                X