No announcement yet.

Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19.1 miles tonight on mtn bike. railroad corridor to K96 bike path. 1 hr 36 minutes. Closing in on 3,500 miles bicycling since October 1 of last year. Pretty awesome for me. Not a record, but considering we were off the bike(s) for almost 2 months with a nasty bug last February/March, I'm super happy. I have MVJ to thank for it way back (when) he rode that evening ride and said how enjoyable it was. Within a week or two I got a couple of rechargeable bike lights which have afoorded us some wonderful evening rides and will continue to do so all winter long.

Comment

• I've had to take a break from the board due to a lack of time. I took a nasty spill a couple of weeks ago - I went over the front of the bike at a little over 15 (head first and concrete with river rock) sprained shoulder, torn cartlage in my ribs. My girlfriend's brother (was a practicing doc in Venezulela) told me I needed 4 or 5 stitches in my elbow (but I did not get them and I have a divot in my elbow now). Two weeks later, I can sneeze and cough without pain, but it still hurts to roll over in bed. Only got 20 miles or so that week.

Last week I logged 99 miles.

Trying to get roughly 100 this week.....we will see. I rode 18.5 yesterday, but my pace is a tad slower due to the rib issues. I'm just getting back to full speed.

Glad to see most everyone is out on their bikes.

This is the start of the time of year where MVJ may be jealous of me. I can pretty much ride all winter, there are days here and there where it is too cold, but not many. Only issue is the days are getting shorter, so I had to order another light for my gravel bike. Once I get that I should be good to go.

Comment

• Shaka, I’m glad to hear your OK (sorta). Over the handlebars at 15 mph sounds terrifying! Kuddos to you for getting back on that bike and carrying on.

Comment

• Thanks Mad Dog, I got another 18.3 tonight. I need to try to get a hundred this week. If I do, I get 300 for the month, in spite of what happened.

Do you have a Specialized? The reason I'm wondering is the guy who owns my favorite LBS in Houston was showing me a really nice gravel bike with a little suspension. I was pretty impressed. I would consider buying one of those, perhaps next year. If you have one like that, I'd like to hear your feedback.

I need to ride my folder less. It's a twitchy bike, front wheels get prone to having some sort of fault and when they do, you get thrown off the front. I'd take it for three or four hundred miles a year, but I don't think I should be spending a lot of time on it. Both the accidents I've had since I started riding again and both times I went straight over the front. First time was grass, this time it was concrete. Concrete hurts more.

I plan on going to a small bike shop near me that my friend at the LBS in Houston recommended to me. He described it like it was the most interesting bicycle museum he ever saw. You name it, he had it. He specifically mentioned vintage Colnagos which once upon a time I thought was the prettiest road bike ever. I'll take pics if he has nice pieces.
          Last edited by revenge_of_shocka_khan; September 23, 2020, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• 25 this evening, 76 for the week. 30 tomorrow and my wife wants to try sixty on Friday. I have a little dilemma, I accidentally discarded the workout instead of saving, so does it count? My wife says yes, but I'm kind of the "Pictures or it didn't happen" kind of guy.
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
              25 this evening, 76 for the week. 30 tomorrow and my wife wants to try sixty on Friday. I have a little dilemma, I accidentally discarded the workout instead of saving, so does it count? My wife says yes, but I'm kind of the "Pictures or it didn't happen" kind of guy.

Did this tree get uprooted quietly or did it make a bit of noise? You got the miles.

So did I. 12 miles in and the headlamp starts going out, the back light DID go out, so I turned taill and headed STRAIGHT home. Only 17.4999 and a half tonight. Will try to make the legs pay for my failure tomorrow night. Loving this weather, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post
                I've had to take a break from the board due to a lack of time. I took a nasty spill a couple of weeks ago - I went over the front of the bike at a little over 15 (head first and concrete with river rock) sprained shoulder, torn cartlage in my ribs. My girlfriend's brother (was a practicing doc in Venezulela) told me I needed 4 or 5 stitches in my elbow (but I did not get them and I have a divot in my elbow now). Two weeks later, I can sneeze and cough without pain, but it still hurts to roll over in bed. Only got 20 miles or so that week.

Last week I logged 99 miles.

Trying to get roughly 100 this week.....we will see. I rode 18.5 yesterday, but my pace is a tad slower due to the rib issues. I'm just getting back to full speed.

Glad to see most everyone is out on their bikes.

This is the start of the time of year where MVJ may be jealous of me. I can pretty much ride all winter, there are days here and there where it is too cold, but not many. Only issue is the days are getting shorter, so I had to order another light for my gravel bike. Once I get that I should be good to go.
                Glad you're doing better. I've never taken a spill on my road bike. Been almost 30+ years of bicycling. Lucky me, I know.

As far as the winter thing, I've said it before and I'll say it again, some of my favorite rides THIS YEAR were back in early January when the temperature was in the 30s and the sun was shining. Being a super happy owner of an actual cycling jacket/coat now with the back pockets for my stuff and kit, I am looking forward to winter for the first time in many, many-many years.

Comment

• Some of my old bikin' buddies; those were the days my friends...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

Glad you're doing better. I've never taken a spill on my road bike. Been almost 30+ years of bicycling. Lucky me, I know.

As far as the winter thing, I've said it before and I'll say it again, some of my favorite rides THIS YEAR were back in early January when the temperature was in the 30s and the sun was shining. Being a super happy owner of an actual cycling jacket/coat now with the back pockets for my stuff and kit, I am looking forward to winter for the first time in many, many-many years.
                    I'm probably getting too old. When the temp got down around 50 in Houston (and it's usually humid, just pointing this out) I could not ride because my feet would feel like blocks of ice after a 90 minute ride.

It's a little drier where I live now, I can ride when it's 45 or so, but not sure i could handle upper 30's anymore.

Good news is that it doesn't get that cold down here except for a handful of days every year......

Comment

25 this evening, 76 for the week. 30 tomorrow and my wife wants to try sixty on Friday. I have a little dilemma, I accidentally discarded the workout instead of saving, so does it count? My wife says yes, but I'm kind of the "Pictures or it didn't happen" kind of guy.
                      I would. Enter it manually if you have to.

However, having said that, I have done manual updates when a failure occurred and it did not work (for Strava).

Since I got my new watch, I have only had one logging issue.

I plan on going at least 15 and perhaps a little over 18 today.

Comment

• Back on the bike for the first time in a week. 33 miles today. Some more new concrete on the Redbud trail. Yeah! I’m getting my hopes up the city may complete that project this year.

Shaka, yes, I have a new 2021 Specialized Diverge Sport In Shocker yellow. I love it! By far the best bike I’ve ever owned. It’s much more comfortable to ride than my 2015 Diverge road bike. I attribute that to a combination of the “Future Shock” shock absorber built into the handle bars and the 40 psi I run the tires at vs 80 psi on the road bike. No more getting beaten up by the road. I’m faster on the new bike probably due to having more confidence with the wider tires and knowing that water, loose gravel, and debris aren’t going to take me down which is something us older guys have to worry about. As for off pavement performance it’s pretty good. Riding on rail trails with crushed limestone is a breeze. I can pretty much maintain my pavement speed on this surface. Dirt/gravel roads it’s ok. I’m not going to fall down, but washboards will beat the crap out of you so I haven’t been inclined to ride on dirt roads much. And basic railroad gravel that JV likes to ride on with his mountain bike is no fun either. But basically I’m really happy with the bike. I have no regrets at all with the purchase and have not been out on the old road bike even once since I got the gravel bike.

Comment

• 29 miles tonight. 2.5 hrs. Just got home at 9:18 pm. Witnessed the new concrete MDOG was talking about, PLUS, the finishing of the bridge and a bit of concrete between 127th and 143rd. And.....they have a lot of frame set in place for pouring concrete on the west side of the bridge. And it is a beautiful bridge.

Had one blood curdling moment on the PAVED section between Andover Park and Andover road tonight. First time I had ever nearly run over a skunk on the bicycle. I don't know if I've ever screamed so loudly on a bicycle. Thankfully he/she/it and I came to an agreement where I don't get sprayed and I don't run over him with my front tire (missed him by about a foot). Been a rough two days. Last night I nearly ran over a snake on pavement near the Waterfront.

Don't get rid of your other bike MDOG. If you ever have an issue, its nice to have a backup. I've almost spent as much time (if not more) on the mtn bike as I have the road bike in the last month. It might be about 60-40. I LOVE the big wide tires, I have no issues on wet pavement, sand, gravel, rocks, pebbles, grass, dirt. I think I'm quietly riding thhe cheapo mtn bike into the ground so I'll have an excuse to buy the bike I want (to replace it with).

And...more good news....My daughter initially bought me Impractical Jokers tickets for their Wichita show, like 3rd row center I think (not cheap) and obviosuly the show got cancelled. So right before I set off on my ride tonight, she presented me with a replacement Christmas gift in a holiday sack mind you to replace the tickets. It was a Cycology jersey (that matches the black and white tattoo jacket I bought), a new pair of gloves, and a new cateye. SO a pretty good day and the jersey fit like a glove. Gloves were gel padded and didn't have holes in them like my other much older gloves.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
                            29 miles tonight. 2.5 hrs. Just got home at 9:18 pm. Witnessed the new concrete MDOG was talking about, PLUS, the finishing of the bridge and a bit of concrete between 127th and 143rd. And.....they have a lot of frame set in place for pouring concrete on the west side of the bridge. And it is a beautiful bridge.

Had one blood curdling moment on the PAVED section between Andover Park and Andover road tonight. First time I had ever nearly run over a skunk on the bicycle. I don't know if I've ever screamed so loudly on a bicycle. Thankfully he/she/it and I came to an agreement where I don't get sprayed and I don't run over him with my front tire (missed him by about a foot). Been a rough two days. Last night I nearly ran over a snake on pavement near the Waterfront.

Don't get rid of your other bike MDOG. If you ever have an issue, its nice to have a backup. I've almost spent as much time (if not more) on the mtn bike as I have the road bike in the last month. It might be about 60-40. I LOVE the big wide tires, I have no issues on wet pavement, sand, gravel, rocks, pebbles, grass, dirt. I think I'm quietly riding thhe cheapo mtn bike into the ground so I'll have an excuse to buy the bike I want (to replace it with).

And...more good news....My daughter initially bought me Impractical Jokers tickets for their Wichita show, like 3rd row center I think (not cheap) and obviosuly the show got cancelled. So right before I set off on my ride tonight, she presented me with a replacement Christmas gift in a holiday sack mind you to replace the tickets. It was a Cycology jersey (that matches the black and white tattoo jacket I bought), a new pair of gloves, and a new cateye. SO a pretty good day and the jersey fit like a glove. Gloves were gel padded and didn't have holes in them like my other much older gloves.
                            I think I mentioned my one encounter with a skunk. It didn't end well for me.
                            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I think I mentioned my one encounter with a skunk. It didn't end well for me.
                              I have been smelling one the last couple of days. Wish it would move out. We seem to have a lot of foxes, owls and, believe it or not, feral hog problems (periodically, at least according to NextDoor).

So if you have a chance encounter, what do you use to get the smell out of your clothes (and your skin)?

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

I have been smelling one the last couple of days. Wish it would move out. We seem to have a lot of foxes, owls and, believe it or not, feral hog problems (periodically, at least according to NextDoor).

So if you have a chance encounter, what do you use to get the smell out of your clothes (and your skin)?
                                I used odoban it worked fast.

Comment

Working...
                                X