Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
    Wife nixed the bike mod. She okayed me switching from oil to paraffin and teflon. Teflon powder, paraffin and a new chain arrived today. With nothing else to do, I dove in. It took several hours, mainly to clean my current and new chain. I may have broke quarantine after dark to try the bike out. It's amazing! Since I'm really not supposed to be out, I just rode through an industrial area, determined to avoid people at all costs. I didnt see a soul. Did a quick 7 miles. It was amazing how freaking quiet the whole groupset is with paraffin. It's also quick and responsive shifting.

Anyway, before anyone gets too upset, I was told by my Dr. and an expert at the med center if I rode early or late and didnt encounter anyone, it would be safe. They did harken that this is not advice given out normally, as it would be abused. I just tried the bike out with the waxed chain and wont ride again for 10 days-2 weeks, when I'll test again for covid.

The paraffin is supposed to be good for 150-200 miles depending on how you ride and the conditions. I'm going to buy 2-3 more chains and set them up. That way, its 10 minutes or less once a week to switch chains and once a month or so, you re wax all of your chains.

This first go at paraffin is a test. When I shake this covid bs, I'll give a better review. Also, it is tedious on the front end, you go through several soaks until the chain is clean from all oils and grease. You also need to clean your derailleurs, chainrings and cassette. It took 3-1/2 hours, all to complete two chains and meticulously clean my dtivetrain.

Comment

• I was a doubter on the wax, but just got finished reading this...

wax your bike chain for a super smooth, clean, maintenance free ride.

Sounds like a good thing, but I prolly won't be switching. I haven't cleaned my chain in months, but I rarely ride through any dirt/sand and avoid pooling water like the plague (small patches of moss makes those areas extremely slippery). Getting ready to go on a short early ride this AM mostly because I should go into work for a couple hours today. Will have wife in tow, but maybe I'll just let her pull and I'll enjoy the scenery.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

I've got nothing but time. Plus, once you do the initial work, reapplication is easy. Pull the chain, run boiling water over it, dip it and put it back on. To make it simpler, I'm buying extra chains, I'll run through four chains, then reapply all at once. But it was a lot of work initially. It is supposed to extend the life of your chain, rings and cassette as well.
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• 15 unexpected miles this AM. For one thing, we were out the door before I typically wake on a weekday. But we really need to get in to work today or we fall farther behind.

Was going to make a game of the bike ride and see if any Wichitans recognize these areas, but decided to just post the pics and locations instead Actually left my MP3 player at work, so I had to ride with the quiet ambient sounds of nature. Kind of different but nice.

First up near the Spring drive area north of 13th street between Oliver and Woodlawn. Super quiet, no cars. Lots of shade.

nd speaking of shade (and crappy cell photography) this canopied and somewhat secret area can be found just east of Abuelos. Anyone ever find this? Its like some of the areas at the Zoo/Sedgwick County Park (though photo is crap fuzzy). Hope all are well, especially MVJ and family.

Comment

• Well I certainly recognize the first picture... drove that route on the way to the golf course this morning. Is that 2nd picture a bike path? Not familiar with that one.

Rode 29 miles yesterday with the boys. We had a really bad plan (mine) that resulted In a really difficult ride. Headed north out of Chisholm Creek Park to 101st street, East to Greenwich, then south on Greenwich heading back to the launch site. It was all good until we got to Greenwich, then it was about seven straight miles into a 15 mph wind and uphill all the way. And to top it off, no windbreaks of any sorts and into the sun. It was a real slog and I was whipped when I was done. Don’t think I’ll be riding that route again for a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
              15 unexpected miles this AM. For one thing, we were out the door before I typically wake on a weekday. But we really need to get in to work today or we fall farther behind.

Was going to make a game of the bike ride and see if any Wichitans recognize these areas, but decided to just post the pics and locations instead Actually left my MP3 player at work, so I had to ride with the quiet ambient sounds of nature. Kind of different but nice.

First up near the Spring drive area north of 13th street between Oliver and Woodlawn. Super quiet, no cars. Lots of shade.

nd speaking of shade (and crappy cell photography) this canopied and somewhat secret area can be found just east of Abuelos. Anyone ever find this? Its like some of the areas at the Zoo/Sedgwick County Park (though photo is crap fuzzy). Hope all are well, especially MVJ and family.

Is the 2nd one the north/south buffer zone between the commercial area to the east and the new homes north of Regent Park? It connects to Redbud?

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
                Well I certainly recognize the first picture... drove that route on the way to the golf course this morning. Is that 2nd picture a bike path? Not familiar with that one.

Rode 29 miles yesterday with the boys. We had a really bad plan (mine) that resulted In a really difficult ride. Headed north out of Chisholm Creek Park to 101st street, East to Greenwich, then south on Greenwich heading back to the launch site. It was all good until we got to Greenwich, then it was about seven straight miles into a 15 mph wind and uphill all the way. And to top it off, no windbreaks of any sorts and into the sun. It was a real slog and I was whipped when I was done. Don’t think I’ll be riding that route again for a while.
                Was it this windy....

this windy....

or better yet, this windy. LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Is the 2nd one the north/south buffer zone between the commercial area to the east and the new homes north of Regent Park? It connects to Redbud?
                  Yeah, there is a gravel section at the north end of this that probably connects to Redbud. Winner!

Comment

• Late start to bike ride and wife wanted to check out Sg County Park. Being unusually humid and hot she opted for the drive out and bike there and drive home plan. Its not my favorite place to bike, because the bike paths can be crowded with dogs, people, kids, joggers, walkers, anglers and photographers, but if you're just wanting to get out and explore at a not rushed pace its great. Even more enjoyable in the fall (and winter I imagine).Only 12 miles but we have a busy afternoon planned so......it is what it was. :-)

And if this is one of the hottest years on record for Wichita, well, I just don't get it. I remember 20, 30 even 40 days of 100 degrees plus in some years past, and I don't think we touched it once this year. So what am I missing? Looking back and comparing....53 days of 100 degrees plus in 2011 got spread out temperature wise so we didn't have the extreme heat??? Just more days of 90???? I'm OK with that in 2020, although this year has sucked big time. There are probably going to be more drunk people celebrating the end of 2020 on Dec. 31, maybe even a day or two early, than there has ever been.

Comment

• I felt like the guy in the first picture.
                      I was making about as much forward progress as the girl in the second picture.
                      If it was windy like the third picture I wouldn’t be complaining!

Comment

• So jealous. I'm in quarantine. At 56, I'm absolutely positive that this is going to have a huge impact on my speed and stamina.
                        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Hang in there MVJ. I feel your pain. I’m 62 and had some unexpected/unplanned surgery with a four day hospital stay in early March of this year. The day I got home from the hospital I was so weak I couldn’t even walk to the mailbox. For the longest time I thought I would never feel right. It took two long months before I felt 100%, but when I finally did get there (the first week of May) I was able to complete a 30 mile ride, and a 50 miler a month after that. Conditioning and speed came back pretty quickly.

I do understand your frustration though. I hope any loss of conditioning will be temporary, and that you’ll be back to your old bike riding self soon!

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
                            Hang in there MVJ. I feel your pain. I’m 62 and had some unexpected/unplanned surgery with a four day hospital stay in early March of this year. The day I got home from the hospital I was so weak I couldn’t even walk to the mailbox. For the longest time I thought I would never feel right. It took two long months before I felt 100%, but when I finally did get there (the first week of May) I was able to complete a 30 mile ride, and a 50 miler a month after that. Conditioning and speed came back pretty quickly.

I do understand your frustration though. I hope any loss of conditioning will be temporary, and that you’ll be back to your old bike riding self soon!
                            Will have to agree. Both of my kids were high level competitive swimmers. It comes back pretty quick. Just get healthy first.

Comment

• In Houston and 3 days away from closing. Will be happy when my real estate footprint is smaller.

Brought the folder, rode about 13 miles yesterday morning, I knew it was going to rain, and sure enough, 15 minutes after I finished I heard thunder. It was raining in less than 30.

Funny thing, only got a little rain at my home. Houston is way far away from this thing and they are still getting rain. We were almost under it and none. 60% chance or rain again today, starting late in the afternoon (which is when I want to go ride).

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post
                                In Houston and 3 days away from closing. Will be happy when my real estate footprint is smaller.

Brought the folder, rode about 13 miles yesterday morning, I knew it was going to rain, and sure enough, 15 minutes after I finished I heard thunder. It was raining in less than 30.

Funny thing, only got a little rain at my home. Houston is way far away from this thing and they are still getting rain. We were almost under it and none. 60% chance or rain again today, starting late in the afternoon (which is when I want to go ride).
                                If I ride in this rain this happens. Railroad tracks are just plain wrong in the rain with bicycle tires.

First it rains....

That leaves the roads wet for....

Comment

Working...
                                X