No announcement yet.

Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonderful bike tonight. Weather perfect 82 degrees, a bit breezy, still sunny. So I skip dinner and go ride. 34 miiles. 2 hrs 24 min. (not 1 hr 24 min, sorry) on empty stomach. OK not true, I had three wintergreen lifesavers on the ride. Best part of it was the redbud trail east of Andover. Getting dark, no cars, packed gravel, I felt like MVJ for almost 5 miles holding 19mph (just like the good ole' days 25 years ago. What a difference in speed and average(s) when you have a straight line, NO CARS, and no stops. Then I get back to the city and its go stop go stop every half mile to almost every mile.

News: Rode down the newly paved portion of redbud from 127 east to the bridge (I wasn't first, but may have been the 30th or 50th person). They also JUST POURED new concrete on the path west of 127 toward K96 path. Didn't dare ride it for fear of ruining it. I'm already dreaming of maddog going out of town so maybe they'll get even more done. Maybe he could go to Mizzou or something next weekend and they can quickly pour two more sections next weekend......hmmmm......makes you think..... Lots of fall colors out (especially east of Andover heading to Augusta). And a reminder that we are in the State of Kansas, the big painted sign on one property reads "MEAN PROPERTY OWNER. PROPERTY OWNERS LIVES MATTER." Finally a day off tomorrow night. Almost 175 miles this week.
    Last edited by JVShocker; October 8, 2020, 09:33 PM.

Comment

• Shaka, interesting “Miller” story. I can tell you now that I’m familiar with the town that it is composed of about 8 houses and 1 church. I didn’t have a spare tube with me and we were 25 miles from both vehicles. Called AAA and they dispatched this 80 year old couple from Allen (next town west of Admire) to come to our rescue. We put our nice bikes on the roof of their old 1990 Explorer and we held on to them for dear life as they drove us back to Vassar. Quite the adventure!

Just FYI on knees... thought my hiking days were over 10 years ago due to intense sharp knee pain. A buddy loaned me his knee bands and low and behold they miraculously cured the problem. I don’t really know how they work, but they sure do! Now I have zero knee problems when hiking.

JV, the reason I say you need two vehicles is so you can ride the whole 50 miles end to end. The only way to do that with one vehicle is 50 miles out and 50 miles back. Assuming a north wind, we’ll both drive to Garnett, load both bikes on one vehicle, drive to Ottawa, ride the bikes back to Garnett, load the bikes on the vehicle we left parked in Garnett, then back to Ottawa to get the other vehicle. Kind of a pain, but gets us the whole 50 mile ride.

At the Black Canyon of the Gunnison today.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
        Shaka, interesting “Miller” story. I can tell you now that I’m familiar with the town that it is composed of about 8 houses and 1 church. I didn’t have a spare tube with me and we were 25 miles from both vehicles. Called AAA and they dispatched this 80 year old couple from Allen (next town west of Admire) to come to our rescue. We put our nice bikes on the roof of their old 1990 Explorer and we held on to them for dear life as they drove us back to Vassar. Quite the adventure!

Just FYI on knees... thought my hiking days were over 10 years ago due to intense sharp knee pain. A buddy loaned me his knee bands and low and behold they miraculously cured the problem. I don’t really know how they work, but they sure do! Now I have zero knee problems when hiking.

JV, the reason I say you need two vehicles is so you can ride the whole 50 miles end to end. The only way to do that with one vehicle is 50 miles out and 50 miles back. Assuming a north wind, we’ll both drive to Garnett, load both bikes on one vehicle, drive to Ottawa, ride the bikes back to Garnett, load the bikes on the vehicle we left parked in Garnett, then back to Ottawa to get the other vehicle. Kind of a pain, but gets us the whole 50 mile ride.

We have it planned to ride half the trail one weekend, turn around and head back Then another weekend, the other half. It'll be a sightseeing thing more than a workout.

Comment

• Awesome! Watch out for the walnuts on the trail. They can be the size of tennis balls.

Comment

• The guys made it to Castle Rock today. One more leg and then the climb at 10;00 AM Saturday morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
              The guys made it to Castle Rock today. One more leg and then the climb at 10;00 AM Saturday morning.
              God be with them. Making that climb is still on my bucket list.
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Getting dropped off at the Missouri border tomorrow morning. Three options, 65 miles, 87, or century. Going with my wife, she wants to try a century, so I agreed with two bail outs. Wind will be at our back most of the way. We have a five mile section at the end, dead into the wind. I hope she makes it, would be totally cool!
                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• I came over here hoping I could observe a few pics of babes on bikes cause I sure could use a little distraction about now.

Comment

• Ask and you shall receive....

gravel riders (photography by David Dubnitskiy)

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
                      Ask and you shall receive....

gravel riders (photography by David Dubnitskiy)

Outstanding, I'd say!!

Comment

• Well done grasshopper!
                        TGIF!
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                          Getting dropped off at the Missouri border tomorrow morning. Three options, 65 miles, 87, or century. Going with my wife, she wants to try a century, so I agreed with two bail outs. Wind will be at our back most of the way. We have a five mile section at the end, dead into the wind. I hope she makes it, would be totally cool!
                          Let her draft off of you if she gets tired.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
                            Shaka, interesting “Miller” story. I can tell you now that I’m familiar with the town that it is composed of about 8 houses and 1 church. I didn’t have a spare tube with me and we were 25 miles from both vehicles. Called AAA and they dispatched this 80 year old couple from Allen (next town west of Admire) to come to our rescue. We put our nice bikes on the roof of their old 1990 Explorer and we held on to them for dear life as they drove us back to Vassar. Quite the adventure!

Nice pictures.....

I have had my left knee scoped twice and the right one scoped once. There is no cartilage left. Bone on bone. If I wasn't exercising, I'd probably be having them replaced now.

Comment

• Glad I'm WFH, pics of the girls are NSFW, but very nice!

Comment

• When your wife asks to do a century ride, you do a century ride. Missouri border, downtown, north past the airport, call it a day.
                                Screenshot_20201009-220238_MapMyRide.jpg
                                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X