Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post
    I did about 22 last night. Really hot, left at 7, temp was 102, got back at 8:30 and was still close to 99 (it was 99 at 8). Pace suffered because it's hard to keep that up in this heat.

We are supposed to be 99 on Thursday, hopefully the humidity stays low. Will try for another 20 miles.

This is the time of year when you have to tie a knot at the end of the rope and hang on. We are about 8 weeks out from cooler weather down here. I hope it isn't this warm wherever y'all are.
    It is quite warm and humid here as well. That's OK.

Comment

• Another warm evening. I had time for another 26 miles and it was getting a little dark by the time I got home. I don't have a light. Lots of people out riding bicycles...still. Nice to see. Just as these are...

Comment

• You know for the longest time I used to think JVShocker was that cute gal in the avatar, and boy do I hope I run into her on the bike path! The more I read this thread the more disappointed I become...

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
          You know for the longest time I used to think JVShocker was that cute gal in the avatar, and boy do I hope I run into her on the bike path! The more I read this thread the more disappointed I become...
          This would be me....

Comment

• I also like speed skaters.....must just be something with strong legs.

Comment

• Just reported within last hour or so...

AUGUSTA, Kan. (KWCH) - The Butler County Sheriff’s Office said a body of a bicyclist has been found near Augusta.

Sheriff Kelly Herzet said two people working on a fence found the badly decomposed body in the timber. Herzet said the person is believed to have been a bicyclist and their body had been there for several days.

“The other part of it is we have a bicycle. So it appears this person is a bicyclist. So, we have shoes, gloves, a helmet and it’s the kind of bicycle that you would ride long distances,” said Herzet.

The sheriff’s office has reached out to other agencies to see if anyone has reported a missing bicyclist.

Investigators are trying to figure out how long the body has been there.

If you have any information, you are asked to contact the Butler County Sheriff’s Office.

Comment

• Roll call time for Wichita area bicyclists. Do you ride with anyone you haven't heard from for days?

Comment

• That’s scary! My Dad hit a bicyclist not far from there, but it was years ago, and he was unharmed.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
                    Just reported within last hour or so...

AUGUSTA, Kan. (KWCH) - The Butler County Sheriff’s Office said a body of a bicyclist has been found near Augusta.

Sheriff Kelly Herzet said two people working on a fence found the badly decomposed body in the timber. Herzet said the person is believed to have been a bicyclist and their body had been there for several days.

“The other part of it is we have a bicycle. So it appears this person is a bicyclist. So, we have shoes, gloves, a helmet and it’s the kind of bicycle that you would ride long distances,” said Herzet.

The sheriff’s office has reached out to other agencies to see if anyone has reported a missing bicyclist.

Investigators are trying to figure out how long the body has been there.

If you have any information, you are asked to contact the Butler County Sheriff’s Office.
                    Wow. I'm not sure how a cyclist dies and nobody reports him/her missing. That said, it was reported as a long distance cyclist, so it could be someone on a journey across several states. The only other thought is a homeless person, you occasionally see them on bikes, but you never see them with helmets, cleated shoes and gloves. Weird and eerie.
                    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

Wow. I'm not sure how a cyclist dies and nobody reports him/her missing. That said, it was reported as a long distance cyclist, so it could be someone on a journey across several states. The only other thought is a homeless person, you occasionally see them on bikes, but you never see them with helmets, cleated shoes and gloves. Weird and eerie.
                      The road they were on connects Augusta to Rosehill. It’s a dangerous road even for cars with minimal lighting and no shoulder, lots of curves.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

The road they were on connects Augusta to Rosehill. It’s a dangerous road even for cars with minimal lighting and no shoulder, lots of curves.
                        I did that ride out to Rosehill once. My days of bicycling in the main streets are pretty much long gone. I did it a week or two ago after seeing some of the reports about distances and average speeds on rides, and yes, while it was fun to get that kind of ride in (again), its just not worth it to me. I used to watch videos of a cyclist in New York who would occasionally do commentary about the sights and areas he was passing. It was fun, entertaining, and informative, but he's just too damn reckless and I couldn't justify giving him the views anymore. (what is it with the younger gen and their views?) Its like that episode Nosedive of Black Mirror. Getting ready to go out on our ride this AM.

Comment

• 22 miles. Took almost two hours with the wife in tow, AND there was a lot of towing because of the wind. She doesn't like the heat so that didn't help either. Fall will be here in (only) about 90 days.

Comment

• I live fairly close to Augusta and must say I’m not surprised. I used to ride Ohio street a lot (the paved road north out of Augusta connecting to K254). That is an absolute bicycle death trap. Two lane road, no shoulder, and 60mph traffic. Several times I’ve had cars or trucks approach from behind at 60 mph and miss my handlebars by no more than 1 ft. I just don’t ride solo in Butler county anymore because there is way too much of that stuff going on.

Comment

• 20 miles early yesterday morning. So hot and windy right now I can’t even make myself go outside. I guess I’m a weather wuss because I can’t even imagine riding in these conditions.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
                                22 miles. Took almost two hours with the wife in tow, AND there was a lot of towing because of the wind. She doesn't like the heat so that didn't help either. Fall will be here in (only) about 90 days.

I freaking had the best ride with my wife, ever! Woke up to 18 mph winds and a commitment to riding with her. There was no way I could tow her 10 miles in a wind gusting to 30.

I'd like to say Ixm smart enough to troubleshoot the problem, but she did it for me. We had my son drop us off at the start of the trail and we rode with the wind the whole way! Made my son pick us up at the end.

My wife slowed me way down, three stops because she was hot, not tired, but that was okay. This would normally be right around an hour, less with the wind. But it was nice spending time with her, easiest peddling of the year, we're headed to the pool, then take out. I might even get laid tonight!
                                Screenshot_20200718-153134_MapMyRide.jpg
                                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X