Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Masks are placebo and give a false sense of security. I have not seen anybody that is wearing the type of mask that would actually protect themselves from Covid and a lot of people are wearing the masks improperly or not 100% of the time when in public (e.g. removing their mask to talk to people - face palm).

You are better to practice social distancing, proper hygiene and if you are not feeling right - stay at home. And if you believe you are at risk - then take advantage of all opportunities of online ordering and pickup (or delivery).
    The point of the cloth mask is not to protect yourself but to protect others in case you are an asymptomatic carrier. It’s an extra precaution. Yes, people should still practice social distancing and stay home when they’re sick. Wearing a mask while inside a store for 30 minutes doesn’t seem like that big of a deal but whatever.

Comment

• If you wanna wear a mask, go for it. If you don't want to, fine. It's your body, your choice. Hell it ain't like you're killin somebody.......

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

The point of the cloth mask is not to protect yourself but to protect others in case you are an asymptomatic carrier. It’s an extra precaution. Yes, people should still practice social distancing and stay home when they’re sick. Wearing a mask while inside a store for 30 minutes doesn’t seem like that big of a deal but whatever.
        You’re not really protecting folks very well with a cloth mask. It’s better than not wearing one, but not good enough. It’s similar to a three foot picket fence between your front door and a sidewalk. It’s not going to keep your German Shepherd in most of the time.

If folks feel that masks are necessary, they need to be n95 masks worn appropriately. If you’re gonna let folks in with bandannas or a surgical mask worn around the chin, then what’s the point?

I don’t think it’s a big deal to wear a mask either, and there is mild protection, but forcing people to wear second rate protection appears to be control for the sake of it. The neighborhood association is requiring you to put up a picket fence in case someday you start breeding German Shepherds.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

The point of the cloth mask is not to protect yourself but to protect others in case you are an asymptomatic carrier. It’s an extra precaution.
          I understand the pseudo science behind it, but it not protecting you. There are more and more studies coming out that cotton and surgical mask are not effective.

Neither surgical nor cotton masks effectively filtered SARS–CoV-2 during coughs by infected patients. Prior evidence that surgical masks effectively filtered influenza virus (1) informed recommendations that patients with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 should wear face masks to prevent transmission (2). However, the size and concentrations of SARS–CoV-2 in aerosols generated during coughing are unknown. Oberg and Brousseau (3) demonstrated that surgical masks did not exhibit adequate filter performance against aerosols measuring 0.9, 2.0, and 3.1 μm in diameter. Lee and colleagues (4) showed that particles 0.04 to 0.2 μm can penetrate surgical masks. The size of the SARS–CoV particle from the 2002–2004 outbreak was estimated as 0.08 to 0.14 μm (5); assuming that SARS-CoV-2 has a similar size, surgical masks are unlikely to effectively filter this virus.
          Now, when masks that companies like Sonovia are trying to develop specifically for covid are available that will be a different story.

Last edited by SB Shock; May 25, 2020, 09:52 AM.

Comment

• Wearing a mask is as effective at preventing the spread of covid as wearing a red ribbon is effective at curing aids. The practice merely makes the wearer feel good while doing nothing.
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• And nothing is less effective than wearing a mask while sporting a beard.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• In Kansas, we're at the point you have to ask yourself, "did I wear a mask the last two years based on the risk of getting influenza?" If you answer "no", then why are you wearing a mask now?

The risk of catching a severe case of coronavirus AND influenza combined, today, is almost exactly the risk of catching a severe case of influenza (by itself) on the same day the previous two years.

Hard to believe, but true.
                Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• 188 deaths in 2,971,634 persons in Kansas is a death rate of 0.0063%
                  800 hospitalized is 0.027%
                  2,970,834 have survived this deadly pandemic thus far.

In 2017, there were 6,830 abortions in Kansas, though not all were necessarily to residents of Kansas.
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• 505 US deaths today. Lowest since March 29, 5th consecutive day of falling deaths.

You’ll likely only see this fact in this forum.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      505 US deaths today. Lowest since March 29, 5th consecutive day of falling deaths.

Seems awfully low. I expect they’ll revise those up at some point. Maybe move some April deaths into May...make that curve keep going up.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

505 US deaths today. Lowest since March 29, 5th consecutive day of falling deaths.

Not to be a spoil sport, as I like seeing those declining numbers, but wouldn't most declining death numbers over those days primarily be attributable those who already had the virus prior to most of the biggest/loosest part of the "reopening" by states?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Not to be a spoil sport, as I like seeing those declining numbers, but wouldn't most declining death numbers over those days primarily be attributable those who already had the virus prior to most of the biggest/loosest part of the "reopening" by states?
                          You’ve got to go state by state (and in some cases county by county) to check. The fact is that most of the infections and deaths occurred in NYC. That was the biggest increase and is responsible for the biggest decrease. The fact is that right now there is no pattern to restrictions/reopenings leading to increases or decreases. It appears that there is a different/undetermined cause.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

It really is sad. I think almost all of us want objective news with different ways to look at it. Not what their opinion is...….

Case in point....CNN Headline News this morning interviewed several people in Arkansas (who were basically by themselves outdoors) who proclaimed that they were "going to die of something eventually" (and don't tell me it wasn't intentional to find some "hillbillies" to try and accentuate their stupidity) and then went to "science and medical expert Dr. Sanjay Gupta" and asked him "how do you thwart this kind of thinking?"

We're right, they're wrong is the message, and it's barely veiled.

If you don't believe there is INCREDIBLE one way bias in MSM then you're just turning a blind eye. You wonder why Fox takes a beating? Because it's at least 6 to 1. OAN and Newsmax are tiny players. You don't have a choice if you want to use your brain and try to see things for yourself.
                            Last edited by WuDrWu; May 26, 2020, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

I understand the pseudo science behind it, but it not protecting you. There are more and more studies coming out that cotton and surgical mask are not effective.

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-1342
                              All that study says is that if you cough at a Petrie dish five times from a distance of 8 inches that droplets are going to end up on the Petrie dish. No ****. It’s a cloth mask not an iron lung.

It doesn’t attempt to determine how a mask of any construction limits how far the particles travel which is the point of the mask. Social distance + everyone wear a mask in a public place = extremely low risk of transmission. Even the elderly and at risk would have no worry.

I’m highly unlikely to be 8 inches from someone and I’m certainly not going to let them cough on me five times in a row.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Or it could be that the virus is following its natural curve like most every other pandemic has done. I've looked at a lot of graphs from previous ones, like the Spanish Flu, and they all followed a bell-like curve. That's what appears to be happening here in the US. Is it possible that the virus is naturally just slowing down on its own? I mean that's what likely is gonna happen at some point, right? Did the Spanish Flu have a vaccine? I honestly don't know.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X