No announcement yet.

Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have kept a keen eye on New York, because it's been a healthy dose of the problem. I think the current fear is that it will replicate in other major metro areas.

However, I failed to consider that New Jersey is just across the water. If you combine NJ and NY case loads, they end up having 106,000 total cases (at time of this post), and the total cases in the US is 214,000. So darn near exactly 50% of our entire country's case load.

So here's the positive news: NJ + NY total tests = 274,500. Nationally we have ran 1,179,500 tests.

So while NJ+NY = 50% of the current problem, they only represent 23.2% of the total tests. That tells me that the lion's share of other states are getting out ahead of the issue in terms of testing.

That is not to say we are definitively testing enough, but at least the rest of the country is ahead of NY + NJ in terms of testing by quite a bit.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      Not sure what to make of this, but it sounds promising.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/univer...irus-research/
      I suspect we will be getting a yearly flu shot and yearly coronavirus shot from here on out. Let's hope anyways.
      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Sign me up! I want a vaccine!!!!

May not have to do annual depending on how the strains of Covid mutate vs flu. I’m no virologist.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post

One of these charts looks like someone took scissors to it.
          I'd say two, if you include Iran. Anyway, those graphics are very much appreciated. One picture is worth a thousand words.

Comment

• First day, in the going record at least, that COVID-19 deaths over 1000 in a day.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
              Sign me up! I want a vaccine!!!!

May not have to do annual depending on how the strains of Covid mutate vs flu. I’m no virologist.
              Human Coronavirus Types

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                Any ideas if you have to guess at the Covid-19 strains to vaccinate against on an annual basis the same way as the flu? Is it more similar to the measles virus where one set of vaccine s for life?
                Livin the dream

Comment

• Oh boy a new vaccine for people to protest and not vaccinate their kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                    Oh boy a new vaccine for people to protest and not vaccinate their kids.
                    Screw them! I’ll take it.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• Datawise, yesterday was a bad day for Louisiana. But hopefully that's only because they are getting test results faster. Hopefully.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Any ideas if you have to guess at the Covid-19 strains to vaccinate against on an annual basis the same way as the flu? Is it more similar to the measles virus where one set of vaccine s for life?
                        Doctors At University of Pittsburgh Medical Center: We’ve Developed a Vaccine Against Coronavirus

https://www.redstate.com/nick-arama/2020/04/02/doctors-at-university-of-pittsburgh-medical-center-weve-developed-a-vaccine-for-the-wuhan-virus/

They said they began working on it Jan. 21 and found mice had developed antibodies against COVID-19 about two weeks after receiving the vaccine. They said they based the vaccine on work previously done at UPMC that sought to create vaccines to protect against SARS and MERS, which they said are similar to the new coronavirus.

They further said their vaccine is one that is easily scalable to produce in large quantities. It also includes a unique delivery method in which hundreds of tiny needles are in a patch similar to a Band-Aid, with the needles, made of sugar and protein particles, dissolving into the skin to deliver the vaccine.

The big question? How quickly can they be approved to do trials? Normally this is a process that can take 12-18 months but they obviously need expedited process in this case to do trials and get approval with all due speed.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 4, 2020, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• Why are we even asking for permission anymore? Just get approval from your state governor and go to human trials, already. Let the Supreme Court decide if the Fed can trump the State in a crisis at some point in the future -- meanwhile lives will be saved or they won't but at least we learn and/or fail quickly.

Comment

• Manufacturing scale up will take a few months. Hopefully the clinical trials can be performed in parallel.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• Seriously. If KU Med Center said they had a likely vaccine based on tremendous research, and I'm the governor of Kansas, I'd say, "Go for it. You can conduct human trials on Kansas residents that are fully informed on the risks immediately."

In fact, as governor of Kansas, I would go ahead and call up University of Pittsburgh and tell them they can come to Kansas and conduct trials in Kansas on Kansas residents only that are fully informed of the risks.

And I'd work with our state congress to pass a bill saying it's okay with governor's permission, post haste. What Kansas congressman would say no?

Simply take the feds out of the loop.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                Seriously. If KU Med Center said they had a likely vaccine based on tremendous research, and I'm the governor of Kansas, I'd say, "Go for it. You can conduct human trials on Kansas residents that are fully informed on the risks immediately."

In fact, as governor of Kansas, I would go ahead and call up University of Pittsburgh and tell them they can come to Kansas and conduct trials in Kansas on Kansas residents only that are fully informed of the risks.

And I'd work with our state congress to pass a bill saying it's okay with governor's permission, post haste. What Kansas congressman would say no?

Simply take the feds out of the loop.
                                Man, that would be so crazy to see. Would the FDA file for an injunction in federal court? Could they handle the blow-back if they did?

My brain is spinning hahaha

Comment

Working...
                                X