Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
    The facts on coronavirus aren't all scary. So why so much fear?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...er/5010095002/
    Your article is 18 months old lmfao.

I've heard of playing revisionist historian but... it doesn't work when you're THAT obvious.

Had we been hit w/ Delta from the start, prior to vaccines, we'd be 2x-3x our current total deaths today. It would have absolutely purged the 70 and over class. Our hospital system would have descended into chaos instead of the comparatively "smooth" function currently "enjoyed".

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      R0=5 means we should see a LOT more people sick at the same time compared with last year -- but it will also pass a LOT faster.

Combine that fact with over 80% having antibodies, and we are about to party!
      R0=5 is the most optimistic estimate. CDC says 8.5.

Australia traced an infection from a man who was exposed to the virus for only 5-10 seconds.

Delta is quite sticky.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
        May be the best article I’ve ever seen showing how bad masks suck:

Masks 100% work and anybody stating otherwise betray the truth of their evolutionary development.

Scientists conducted a randomized trial across 600 villages and more than 340,000 people in Bangladesh and found that even some adoption of surgical masks made a difference.

Largest study of masks yet details their importance in fighting Covid-19

Scientists conducted a randomized trial across 600 villages and more than 340,000 people in Bangladesh and found that even some adoption of surgical masks made a difference.

A study involving more than 340,000 people in Bangladesh offers some of the strongest real-world evidence yet that mask use can help communities slow the spread of Covid-19.

The research, conducted across 600 villages in rural Bangladesh, is the largest randomized trial to demonstrate the effectiveness of surgical masks, in particular, to curb transmission of the coronavirus. Though previous, smaller studies in laboratories and hospitals have shown that masks can help prevent the spread of Covid, the new findings demonstrate that efficacy in the real world — and on an enormous scale.

"This is really solid data that combines the control of a lab study with real-life actions of people in the world to see if we can get people to wear masks, and if the masks work," said Laura Kwong, an assistant professor of environmental health sciences at the University of California, Berkeley, and one of the co-authors of the study.

The preprint study was posted online Wednesday by the nonprofit organization Innovations for Poverty Action and is currently undergoing peer review. The research was led by Kwong, Jason Abaluck and Mushfiq Mobarak from Yale University, and Steve Luby and Ashley Styczynski from Stanford University.
        For five months beginning last November, Mobarak and his colleagues tracked 342,126 adult Bangladeshis and randomly selected villages to roll out programs to promote their usage, which included distributing free masks to households, providing information about their importance and reinforcing their use in the community.

Among the roughly 178,000 individuals who were encouraged to wear them, the scientists found that mask-wearing increased by almost 30 percent and that the change in behavior persisted for 10 weeks or more. After the program was instituted, the researchers reported an 11.9 percent decrease in symptomatic Covid symptoms and a 9.3 percent reduction in symptomatic seroprevalence, which indicates that the virus was detected in blood tests.

While the effect may seem small, the results offer a glimpse of just how much masks matter, Mobarak said.

"A 30-percent increase in mask-wearing led to a 10 percent drop in Covid, so imagine if there was a 100-percent increase — if everybody wore a mask and we saw a 100-percent change," he said.

The scientists said masks significantly reduced symptomatic infections among older adults, and found that surgical masks were more effective than cloth versions.
        It's common sense really. Blocking your blow-holes with varying degrees of filtration is going to produce varying degrees of filtered air. Like the GREAT Dr. Fauci once said, masks can even be thought of as better than vaccines because they start working right away (this was before we had the vaccine). And considering we know that most respiratory viruses have a cause and effect relationship with initial viral exposure and severity of disease, it behooves each one of us to aim for a whiff of Das Alien versus a potentially life-altering dose.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

R0=5 is the most optimistic estimate. CDC says 8.5.

Australia traced an infection from a man who was exposed to the virus for only 5-10 seconds.

Delta is quite sticky.
          ACtUAl ScIEnTiSTs publishing AcTUaL research on delta's R0 say it's 5. So it's 5. The CDC "guesstimates" that its 6-9, so that's what hundreds of trade rags repeat over and over like it's the gospel.

But it's not.

It's 5.

I wish it were higher ... it'd be over quicker. Just a few more weeks to go until the "churn".
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Your article is 18 months old lmfao.

I've heard of playing revisionist historian but... it doesn't work when you're THAT obvious.

Had we been hit w/ Delta from the start, prior to vaccines, we'd be 2x-3x our current total deaths today. It would have absolutely purged the 70 and over class. Our hospital system would have descended into chaos instead of the comparatively "smooth" function currently "enjoyed".
            Just posting random garbage links w/o comment. How could you possibly criticize that?
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

ACtUAl ScIEnTiSTs publishing AcTUaL research on delta's R0 say it's 5. So it's 5. The CDC "guesstimates" that its 6-9, so that's what hundreds of trade rags repeat over and over like it's the gospel.

But it's not.

It's 5.

I wish it were higher ... it'd be over quicker. Just a few more weeks to go until the "churn".
              You've been predicting the end of the pandemic since 3 mos. after it started. I hope the virus decides to cooperate this time. I'm ready to be done with it.

And considering your estimate is the lowest of any I've been able to find (avg. has been 7), basic and effective R0 being "situationally dependent", your admitted eternal optimistic slant, I'll remain dubious.

The last time I got optimistic about the idea of the plague ending (last spring - early summer), I was quickly reminded of who's in charge.

4 waves and counting.....

Comment

• If there's anything we've learned about the insidious, alien virus, it's that it's very difficult to accurately quantify in terms of many things. We know historically that typical coronaviruses elicit nondurable immune responses. We also know that the incredibly deadly SARS 1 did. The old pros, like a Dr. Fauci have been very conservative, if not outright pessimistic in their approach to public guidance. Over the course of the entire pandemic they've also been the most accurate. If I were a betting man, (and I am), I would take the conservative bet each and every time when confronted with a problem that presents an undefined amount of variables (and I do).

Comment

You've been predicting the end of the pandemic since 3 mos. after it started.
                  Liar.

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                  And considering your estimate is the lowest of any I've been able to find (avg. has been 7), basic and effective R0 being "situationally dependent", your admitted eternal optimistic slant, I'll remain dubious.
                  "Table 1 shows that the basic reproductive number for Delta ranged from 3.2 to 8, with a mean of 5.08."
                  Researcher Delta R0
                  Meng Zhang (et. al.) 3.2
                  Qingfeng Shi (et. al.) 4.04–5.0
                  SPI-M-O (et. al.) 5–8
                  David Mackie (et. al.) 5.2
                  Hengcong Liu (et. al.) 6
                  Stop trying to correct me with your old ass guesstimate by the CDC that is now very stale and now wrong.

Comment

• KW bringin' the heat. I like it!

Expect the unexpected!

Wish there was a shorter version of this (skip to the ending 3:15ish).

WstateU help!

Comment

KW bringin' the heat. I like it!

Comment

KW bringin' the heat. I like it!

Expect the unexpected!

Wish there was a shorter version of this (skip to the ending 3:15ish).

WstateU help!
                        Quite possibly the best cliffhanger EVER! Destroyed JR getting shot.

Comment

• Richard H. Ebright @R_H_Ebright

The documents make it clear that assertions by the NIH Director, Francis Collins, and the NIAID Director, Anthony Fauci, that the NIH did not support gain-of-function research or potential pandemic pathogen enhancement at WIV are untruthful.

Comment

• Lance Gooden @Lancegooden

In May, Dr. Fauci denied that the U.S. funded “gain of function” research at the Wuhan lab. New reports show the opposite. Congress must investigate if Fauci committed perjury.

Comment

• Hey, did you hear that all those hicks in rural OK were shooting each other and eating horse paste, and because of this the hospitals were over run?

Seems reasonable.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                                Hey, did you hear that all those hicks in rural OK were shooting each other and eating horse paste, and because of this the hospitals were over run?

Seems reasonable.
                                Say what now?

Comment

Working...
                                X