Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching

Does anyone besides me thinks its time for a coaching change in softball

I posted the following on March 24th. My opinion pretty much remains the same but that opinion may not be worth what you paid for it:

shoxlax wrote:
    Is Poochie on the hot seat yet?

My guess is no. Mike is in his 5th year making him the second longest tenured coach in softball history behind Jim Maynard's 11 years.

Mike is second in career wins with 126 wins to Maynard's 313.

Mike is second in winning % at 0.531 to Tim Walton's .658 in his 3 years. The only 2 of our 11 coaches with a career winning % above 0.500

We are without a doubt trending in the wrong direction. Here are the win-loss records of Mike's teams:

2006: 35-23 (.603)
    2007: 37-28 (.569)
    2008: 33-28 (.541)
    2009: 21-32 (.396)
    2010: 09-14 (.391) Update: 22-31 (0.415); Career 0.510

This should at least be enough for ADES to put Pooch on notice that the downtrend needs to stop and start back the other way in the next couple of years.

If softball was a big revenue Sport no doubt Mike would be on his way out. However, since that's not the case I suspect he will get a couple more years.

Comment

I have no particular bone to pick with our softball coach as I only casually follow the program. However, I would like to inquire a few things from those that are more vested.

1) Were many of the players in his first year, and possibly his second, those Coach Walton?

2) Current contract status -- years left, any increases in salary?

3) Even though Walton was a hard act to follow, his 3 years should have had a positive impact on the future direction of Shocker softball. It would appear any of this was quickly lost. Agree/disagree?

4) How do you rate Wilkins Field compared to other Valley schools and to other schools at our "level"?

5) Why should the sport not being a "big revenue sport" make any difference? I would think one more year would be the maximum if the team did not get to or just above .500. What's to lose? Try another up and coming coach or assistant coach.

Comment

Softball is big in this area, especially in the burbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Hovpen
          Softball is big in this area, especially in the burbs.
          I've noticed that the past couple years as one of my brothers girls has really gotten into it.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk
            Why should the sport not being a "big revenue sport" make any difference?
            It probably shouldn't but I'm pretty sure it is probably a factor.

Softball is primarily followed by family and friends and a handful of fans who just like fast-pitch softball or are just Shocker die-hards. This doesn't seem to change too much whether you win or lose. As long as you are bringing in good student athletes (which we are) you can "afford" to be more patient with coaches in non-revenue sports like softball as it doesn't put your athletic department at economic risk to do so. Let's face it, dollars are the biggest factor driving decisions in college athletic departments (i.e see discussions of Big Ten re-alignment).

Not sure what I would do if it was my call. Outside of the Walton years the current coaching staff is about as good as we have had from what I can discern, although a lot of the first couple of years no doubt should be credited to the Walton carryover effect.

Comment

We have had 2 seasons now without any of Tim Waltons players and the last two years have been almost identical records 21-32 & 22-31. It would be interesting to see what our scheduling RPI was the last 5 years as well.

Comment

I agree it's time for a change. Why couldn't we get some assistant from a hot team in a power conference? Surely somebody like that wants to start a coaching career.

Comment

Change

We will get our shot if a change is made. Question though is our AD smart enough to figure it out? Don't want to wish bad on anybody though. Pooch is great guy.

Comment

If any coaching changes were to be made, when would that happen?

Comment

Change

Rumor has it one may have been made? If it was it is a terrible shame. Maybe a little finger pointing going on?

Comment

Why would it be a shame? Least there are changes being made.

Comment

CHANGE

Crazy Horse died thinking he was still a Chief.

Comment

Rumor is that coach Burris is gone.

Comment

So that would make the new hire (if the rumor is legit) the fourth different pitching coach under this regime? Is that right? Sounds like cutting off the nose to spite the face.

Comment

Working...
                              X