Wichita State WBB - Miscellaneous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
    So, Anna K is available immediately, but what class is she? I noticed that she is 20 years old.
    I think you hit the nail squarely on head on how Anna is likely to be referred to.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 1, 2014, 11:40 AM.

Comment

The young lady is 5'10 and is goin to help keep us competitive and contenders period. I think the class she is in won't be found out til tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
        So, Anna K is available immediately, but what class is she? I noticed that she is 20 years old.
        That's a good question, although I do not know if we can assume Anna K will be immediately eligible under the NCAA delayed enrollment rules. The only thing I am assuming at this point is that the question of her amateur status has been answered in the affirmative.

Here is an article I found that discusses the delayed enrollment rules:
        Cases where an athlete loses a season of eligibility because he or she delayed enrollment in college are normally pretty shocking. The athlete often has no

The key date is what was the earlier of Anna's high school graduation date or her expected high school graduation date based on when she enrolled in the 9th grade.

By U.S. standards you would expect Anna to have graduated from high school at the end of May 2012. If this is, in fact, her high school graduation date, which may or may not be the case her situation pretty much fits the examples provided in the linked article.

Assuming she has played in any organized games between August 2013 and now she would have used one year of eligibility and would have to sit out one year. It appears to me that this is probably the worst case for Anna.

If she has not played in any games between August 2013 and now there would be no penalty.

A lot we don't know and I am making a bunch of assumptions. I assume at some point the NCAA Eligibility Center will make a ruling on what Anna's eligibility status is and we will then have the answer.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 1, 2014, 01:52 PM.

Comment

It seems to me that the one-year grace period allowed by the delayed enrollment rules is pretty much the loophole needed for players to take that 1 additional year of prep school without any eligibility issues possible. Or perhaps it is because of the prep school rules they allow the one year grace period to put non-prep school delayed enrollers on the same footing as kids that attend a 5th year of H.S. at a prep school. Chicken or the egg. Not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            her hometown of Brownfield (not Brownwood) and 30 miles west of Lubbock.
            Oops, my bad - what happens when you rely on memory and not day-of research. I knew about her Larry Bird-ish stay at UT. I have never been on the Tech campus, but I assume it has more of small-town feel. The UT campus definitely does not have a small-town feel.

Comment

I know I'm ready for them both to get on campus and get to workin with the team and staff. Looks to be a fun year if we stay healthy and our guard play remains solid

Comment

According to the VolNation message board the Lady Shocks will be playing the Lady Vols in Knoxville on December 16th this year.

That shouldn't hurt the ol' RPI and will certainly provide a good measuring stick for where this Shocker team will be heading into Valley play.

Comment

Yes that game will be interesting,on another note I really hope ms Anna is eligible to play immediately as we could def use her as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                    Yes that game will be interesting,on another note I really hope ms Anna is eligible to play immediately as we could def use her as soon as possible.
                    This will be determined by the NCAA and how many years of eligibility she has to play. It will be nice if she can play, but I have zero confidence in the NCAA. Hopefully they rule in favor of the athlete.

Comment

Former Shocker Alicia Sanchez getting her coaching career started.

Comment

Former Shocker Alicia Sanchez getting her coaching career started.

http://www.yourwestvalley.com/westva....html?mode=jqm
                        It appears the Liberty Lions had a good season under Alicia. They lost in the second round (round of 16) to a team they had previously defeated in Super Sectionals - obviously not a one-and-done tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                          This will be determined by the NCAA and how many years of eligibility she has to play. It will be nice if she can play, but I have zero confidence in the NCAA. Hopefully they rule in favor of the athlete.
                          Seems like a pretty straight-forward fact based ruling, that is once the facts are gathered and can be considered reliable. It all boils down to whether or not Anna played any organized basketball between August 1, 2013 and now. I have not been able to determine if she has or has not.

Here is a good scouting report on Anna. Unfortunately, it does not shed any light on her whether she faces any delayed enrollment eligibility penalties. Just says she is NCAA eligible, but the articles is dated March 14, 2013.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 14, 2014, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Seems like a pretty straight-forward fact based ruling, that is once the facts are gathered and can be considered reliable. It all boils down to whether or not Anna played any organized basketball between August 1, 2013 and now. I have not been able to determine if she has or has not.

Here is a good scouting report on Anna. Unfortunately, it does not shed any light on her whether she faces any delayed enrollment eligibility penalties. Just says she is NCAA eligible, but the articles is dated March 14, 2013.
                            She is at WSU. I've seen her play "Pick-up" with team in Koch. She's 5-8, good short range jumper, passes the ball well, handles it well, quicker than Allie, but not awfully speedy. Basically has a nice game. I don't know if this was a visit or she is here to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                              She is at WSU. I've seen her play "Pick-up" with team in Koch. She's 5-8, good short range jumper, passes the ball well, handles it well, quicker than Allie, but not awfully speedy. Basically has a nice game. I don't know if this was a visit or she is here to stay.
                              I don't think Jody would have publicly announced the Anna would be joining the WSU women's program if she was not here to stay, although it's always possible that a player is homesick or otherwise not happy and decides to leave. I think the only real issues with Anna are when will she be eligible and how many years of eligibility does she have. Looks to like one of two scenarios will apply:

1. Immediately eligible with 4-years of eligibility, or
                              2. Sit out 1-year with 3-years of eligibility

Maybe you can ask around and see what you can find out one of these days when you are roaming around the Chuck.

Comment

When do they have pick up?

Comment

Working...
                                X