Wichita State WBB - Miscellaneous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State WBB - Miscellaneous

A very fine and hard-working group of young ladies representing Shocker Nation:

No surprise that Kelsey and Kayla are closest to the camera. From right to left -- Kelsey, Kayla, Alie, Michaela, Jaleesa, Moriah, Alex and Jamillah.

Pretty solid core coming back next year led by Alex Harden. I'm still steamed that Alex was not the Valley POY. She was clearly the best player in the Valley this past season. Fortunately, I don't think it means as much to Alex as it does to me so she will just go about her business as usual.

Yea she got cheated but she can destroy all doubts next season, don't really see us struggling with any team in the valley really.

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
      Yea she got cheated but she can destroy all doubts next season, don't really see us struggling with any team in the valley really.
      Why is that? We struggled with a number of Valley teams down the stretch including losing to a horrendously bad SIU team. We lost 4 of our final 6 regular season games in the Valley last year. The scout is out on how to play Jody's team and we will see that from day 1 of conference play this year, not just towards the end of the season. Perhaps the team will be ready to deal with that next year, but nothing is guaranteed. I anticipate we will be competing for another Valley championship but a modest dose of respect towards our opponents might be of some value. If we have a bad shooting game which has been known to happen then we can easily lose a handful of Valley games again next year.

The Valley was pretty weak last year. Should be a little better next year I think. Our primary challenger this year was Indiana State. They lost their 2 best players but they will have 7 seniors on their roster next year. Evansville and Drake had the two best freshman in the conference last year. Whether they have enough else to go with them remains to be seen although Drake does return the nominal Valley POY in Kyndal Clark. Northern Iowa has everybody back from a team that beat us last year. Illinois State, who drubbed the Shocks in Koch Arena last year, loses one decent senior in Chloe Nelson but has everyone else back. So I think there will be some challenges in Valley play next year.

Comment

Briana Jones has transferred to D-II Drury University in Springfield, MO. Drury has a very good D-II program. Good luck to Briana. I would expect her to be pretty successful at Drury.

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

Comment

Marissa Preston is transferring to the University of Nebraska - Omaha. She will have 3 years of eligibility remaining after sitting out the 2014-15 season.

Good luck to Marissa. Thought she had a lot of potential.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Marissa Preston is transferring to the University of Nebraska - Omaha. She will have 3 years of eligibility remaining after sitting out the 2014-15 season.

Good luck to Marissa. Thought she had a lot of potential.
            The team is working out and playing "Pick Up" games. I don't know names of new recruits, or have forgotten. One guard is good. Can pass and drive to the hoop. The returners are in shape, steady and ready. I think a couple of recruits have some schooling to do before they can arrive at WSU. The new post is a legit 6-2 or 6-3 and can rebound. A little out of control as she fouls heavily of which Alex and Kelsey put her in her place during "pick up." Way too early, but at first glance, should be a nice team.

Comment

New recruits are 6-0 Juco transfer Ashlee Ivy from Butler County, out of Wichita Heights, 5-6 point guard Audra Stovall from Sequin High School in Arlington, TX and Brittany Martin, reported as a 6-4 post from Northwest Florida State after playing her freshman year at Old Dominion.

Martin's number's in her first two years of college have not been overly impressive so she may be a bit of a project, but Jody may be perfectly happy if she can just rebound and defend at a descent level.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 18, 2014, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Was told that they are waiting on a young lady from Russia who is 6'4 post,and a transfer guard from Texas tech who would be eligible to play immediately if she came. Very excited for this season, and FYI the young lady from butler juco is a PLAYER....Ashlee Ivy will be a name well known by midseason.

Comment

The most likely transfer from Texas Tech would be Diamond Lockhart, a 5-5 guard who played in all 30 games (starting 11) as a freshman this past season, who is reportedly leaving Texas Tech for a yet to be announced destination. Seemed to be fairly well regarded out of Red Oak H.S. a suburb on the far south side of the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex.

Here are Texas Tech's stats for this past season in which the went 6-24 overall and 0-18 in the Big 12. Lockhart struggled from the field but was very good from the FT line.

However, I do not see any reason why she would not be required to sit out next year. Then again this may not be the player @mumdaddy316 is referring to.

A foreign player on the other hand would most likely be eligible if they can get her through the NCAA Clearinghouse successfully.

Comment

A 6'4 or 6'5 post overseas player at that! We will be very fun to watch this upcoming season if everyone comes in hungry and ready to work,got keep the passion high and the desire to win even higher. Winning will eventually equal bringing in better recruits

Comment

Indiana State's 6-2 Jr Center Marina Laramie has transferred to East Carolina State. Combined with the graduation of Anna Munn and Bilqis Abdul-Qaadir the Sycamores will be replacing their top 3 scorers. The Sycamores do have 6-3 Kelsey Dirks, a transfer from Murray State who sat out last year after playing in 29 games for the Racers as a freshman, available to fill the hole left by Laramie. Whether that is more or less an even swap remains to be seen.

Comment

The team is holding a camp today until 8pm,the young ladies invited seemed to have some legit talent. Also the woman's team scrimmaged and drove the ball pretty well while hitting the open shot on a consistent basis. Ready for the season to start already!

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                          The team is holding a camp today until 8pm,the young ladies invited seemed to have some legit talent. Also the woman's team scrimmaged and drove the ball pretty well while hitting the open shot on a consistent basis. Ready for the season to start already!
                          I've been on the road. I look forward to popping in upon my return. Thanks for the positive news. I tend to think we'll be a nice team. I was told the Russian is really a guard, not a post, and probably won't be eligible.

Comment

A 6'4 or 6'5 guard from Russia. My My.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                              A 6'4 or 6'5 guard from Russia. My My.
                              I'm guessing long, long legs...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                              X