Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe this will stress the importance to Jody how it is important to be more than 6 strong ! If you do not Beleive in your players on your bench why did you recruit them to your program. Furthermore i put the responsibility on the coaching staff to build the confidence of the bench players through the rest of valley play with a lead in the conference. This is womens basketball you need more than 6 strong as Jody says !!!

Comment

Originally posted by SkippyThaShocker View Post
      Maybe this will stress the importance to Jody how it is important to be more than 6 strong ! If you do not Beleive in your players on your bench why did you recruit them to your program. Furthermore i put the responsibility on the coaching staff to build the confidence of the bench players through the rest of valley play with a lead in the conference. This is womens basketball you need more than 6 strong as Jody says !!!
      Are we going to continue to get the same criticism from someone with four posts, who I assume is the same person repeatedly registering under new names?

This was always going to be the toughest of our remaining games and a loss here is far from unexpected. The officiating obviously didn't help either. Clearly we could have played better (or at least shot better). But on a week where Jody tied Hargrove for the most wins in program history, and with our team still 2.5 games (and the tiebreaker) ahead of the field, it hardly seems compelling to complain that our coaching staff is underperforming.
      The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

When you have proven coaching (multiple coaches on this roster who have been MVC COY, a Hall of Famer, and a coach who develops NBA and WNBA players in the off-season), maybe, just maybe, any lack of development might have something to do with the freshmen not performing rather than the coaches not coaching. It's not like the coaches weren't willing to play freshmen this game. Chapel got lots of minutes. It's just that you can't expect playing time to be handed to you just because it would be nice to have a deeper rotation. We get a deeper rotation once the young players demonstrate in practice that they have earned that playing time.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
          When you have proven coaching (multiple coaches on this roster who have been MVC COY, a Hall of Famer, and a coach who develops NBA and WNBA players in the off-season), maybe, just maybe, any lack of development might have something to do with the freshmen not performing rather than the coaches not coaching. It's not like the coaches weren't willing to play freshmen this game. Chapel got lots of minutes. It's just that you can't expect playing time to be handed to you just because it would be nice to have a deeper rotation. We get a deeper rotation once the young players demonstrate in practice that they have earned that playing time.
          Bingo. This isn't rec. league. Ask Kelsey, Michelle, Alex what it was like when they were benced. It takes tremendous work, effort and patience to get your minutes. No one on the bench would have helped us. UNI brought their A game. We didn't and the refs were horrid. This does not happen in a men's game.

Comment

The good news is that ISU blue lost to Evansville 63-56 so the Shockers maintain a full 3 game lead in the conference.
            The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Unreal...say, didn't the girls just have a winning streak?

Comment

The Shocks don't often lose when they score 71, however they don't often win when the allow 80. 62 free throw shot in this game. That's not really basketball. Very unusual to see Alex with only 1 assist and 5 turnovers.

Shocks were 5 of 20 on treys. Does anyone know if UNI played a packed in zone today like several of our recent opponents have? If so, then the scout is out on the Shocks and they can expect more of the same. However, not many Valley teams absent help from the officials can put up 80 points on the Shocks.

Perhaps will get another shot at UNI in the Valley tournament on a neutral floor.

Time to start a new winning streak. Need more consistency out of just about everyone except Alex.

Comment

The coaches pick the players they bring into the program so if they don't develop who does the blame land on ?? You can't continually ask girls to play over 35 plus minutes a game for a whole season you just can't ! You have a 3 game lead in the valley and the only realistic shot this team has at making the NCAA tournament is with a conference tournament championship, so why not use these games to develop players in game situations ?? There is no better teacher then failure. Look at Brianna jones I Beleive she can contribute if given ample opurtunity in place of agnello. We as a fan base need to encourage the players on the bench that they our good and not say they have low BBIQ and etc because they are going to be what makes or breaks this team at the end of the day. This is why missouri state is having a top of the line recruiting class comming in and we are not because the coach there gives players adequate opurtunity to show there stuff. What's a winning streak to mediocre competition at the end if the day nothing the only thing that matters our NCAA banners !

Comment

The coaches pick the players they bring into the program so if they don't develop who does the blame land on ?? You can't continually ask girls to play over 35 plus minutes a game for a whole season you just can't ! You have a 3 game lead in the valley and the only realistic shot this team has at making the NCAA tournament is with a conference tournament championship, so why not use these games to develop players in game situations ?? There is no better teacher then failure. Look at Brianna jones I Beleive she can contribute if given ample opurtunity in place of agnello. We as a fan base need to encourage the players on the bench that they our good and not say they have low BBIQ and etc because they are going to be what makes or breaks this team at the end of the day. This is why missouri state is having a top of the line recruiting class comming in and we are not because the coach there gives players adequate opurtunity to show there stuff. What's a winning streak to mediocre competition at the end if the day nothing the only thing that matters our NCAA banners !
                    1. If you are right and it is 100% on the teacher and 0% on the student, your English teachers have a lot to answer for.
                    2. Thanks for proving the stupidity of your argument by bringing up Missouri State. They are doing exactly what you want to see us do, i.e. play lots of young players even if they make a bunch of mistakes. What does that get you? A .500 record. If you'd prefer to with 50% of your games, but play a lot of freshman, go ahead and become a SWOMO fan. Wichita State basketball is about winning championships not participation trophies for freshmen.
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

skippy i agree. Not much hope in jones playing
                      First of all,this is a long season for just 6 players to play the whole game. I believe its more about getting certain players their stats to earn the awards and records, its the here and now development. There's a delicate balance between the here and now and building the future. Their bodies are worn and tired and we will be lucky to have all cylinders for the tournament. God I hope we do.
                      Secondly, recruitment. If I was an incoming recruit and I saw this amazing ranked recruitment class that we all bragged on last year sitting the bench for the whole season, I'd run! Jody has never been able to recruit the big, which would have really helped today, she has always favored a guard style approach and does not push post play. Most players are working their butts off to play. Tell a recruit, I'm recruiting you so you can sit the bench and see how many sign. And everyone has heard the rumor that Jody is only there for one more year, hence, the reason two jucos are coming in so I hope the freshman aren't planning on playing next year because odds are against that since we only lose Michelle, which isn't a bad thing, its reality.
                      Today, we had the same thing going over and over. Tell me how hard it is to do a scout report on six players that have played the whole game all season with no changes in the offense? Any good coach knows whats coming when they play the shocks. We need everyone "on" to make an impact because its not coming with any new tactics. Against uni we ran two offenses today. Our press breaker was destroyed. How many long passes were they successful with? Need changes fast or the girls to be rested and ready for the mvc tournament. Everyone should know by now that zones are effective in stopping the shocks and you can figure the refs are going to call it like the last two games. This thought on how no one on the bench would help us. Well we will never know, we've had plenty of games with leads of 20 or 30 pts and haven't given much opportunities for any of the new recruits to be excited about. Top recruits want into a program that they feel they will be able to have an opportunity, and yes, these girls should be talented enough to play since the coaches recruited them. or are you saying the coach's are bad recruiters? which one?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        The Shocks don't often lose when they score 71, however they don't often win when the allow 80. 62 free throw shot in this game. That's not really basketball. Very unusual to see Alex with only 1 assist and 5 turnovers.

Shocks were 5 of 20 on treys. Does anyone know if UNI played a packed in zone today like several of our recent opponents have? If so, then the scout is out on the Shocks and they can expect more of the same. However, not many Valley teams absent help from the officials can put up 80 points on the Shocks.

Perhaps will get another shot at UNI in the Valley tournament on a neutral floor.

Time to start a new winning streak. Need more consistency out of just about everyone except Alex.
                        UNI mostly played a man and for some reason we spent most of the game shooting jumpers and not getting into the paint. Alex may have scored big, but didn't drive much, she relied on her jumper. UNI kept driving to the hoop and we kept getting called for touch fouls. Allie, JB and Michelle just seemed out of sorts. Of course the fouls certainly can do that to Michelle and JB.

Comment

Originally posted by shockattack View Post
                          First of all,this is a long season for just 6 players to play the whole game. I believe its more about getting certain players their stats to earn the awards and records, its the here and now development. There's a delicate balance between the here and now and building the future. Their bodies are worn and tired and we will be lucky to have all cylinders for the tournament. God I hope we do.
                          Secondly, recruitment. If I was an incoming recruit and I saw this amazing ranked recruitment class that we all bragged on last year sitting the bench for the whole season, I'd run! Jody has never been able to recruit the big, which would have really helped today, she has always favored a guard style approach and does not push post play. Most players are working their butts off to play. Tell a recruit, I'm recruiting you so you can sit the bench and see how many sign. And everyone has heard the rumor that Jody is only there for one more year, hence, the reason two jucos are coming in so I hope the freshman aren't planning on playing next year because odds are against that since we only lose Michelle, which isn't a bad thing, its reality.
                          Today, we had the same thing going over and over. Tell me how hard it is to do a scout report on six players that have played the whole game all season with no changes in the offense? Any good coach knows whats coming when they play the shocks. We need everyone "on" to make an impact because its not coming with any new tactics. Against uni we ran two offenses today. Our press breaker was destroyed. How many long passes were they successful with? Need changes fast or the girls to be rested and ready for the mvc tournament. Everyone should know by now that zones are effective in stopping the shocks and you can figure the refs are going to call it like the last two games. This thought on how no one on the bench would help us. Well we will never know, we've had plenty of games with leads of 20 or 30 pts and haven't given much opportunities for any of the new recruits to be excited about. Top recruits want into a program that they feel they will be able to have an opportunity, and yes, these girls should be talented enough to play since the coaches recruited them. or are you saying the coach's are bad recruiters? which one?
                          Of course, we just don't know what is going on in practice, attitudes, etc. I'd love to see our bench get playing time and really contribute. There has been some times when they have and times when they did not. Against UNI we got outhustled and outplayed. Alex didn't have many assists because she didn't pass the ball, she went one on five many times and it caused our offense to get stagnant. A disappointing game, but what a run. I would suspect Kelsey and Michelle tell the freshmen what it was like for them. It was brutal, but now they are rewarded.

Comment

Originally posted by shockattack View Post
                            I guess that your analysis leads to three questions? Why has Jody had the best recruiting classes in WSU history? Why does Jody have the only women's BB regular season and tournament championship in WSU history? Why is Jody 1 win away from being the all-time wins leaders in WSU women's BB history.

I am always a little skeptical of fans on message boards who think they know what losing coaches are doing wrong, although at least there you see why they make the arguments. I don't even know what to say when a fan thinks they know better than championship coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock View Post
                              I guess that your analysis leads to three questions? Why has Jody had the best recruiting classes in WSU history? Why does Jody have the only women's BB regular season and tournament championship in WSU history? Why is Jody 1 win away from being the all-time wins leaders in WSU women's BB history.

I am always a little skeptical of fans on message boards who think they know what losing coaches are doing wrong, although at least there you see why they make the arguments. I don't even know what to say when a fan thinks they know better than championship coaches.
                              I have said this too many times to count, but this program is not for the feint of heart. We have had terrific players depart. Those who stay are rewarded and get to experience a winning program. I remember back in the day, playing college ball and sometimes pinching myself hardly believing I was college basketball player and believe me, it wasn't always a bowl of cherries, it was grueling, but I wouldn't have traded that experience for anything. If the freshmen tough it out, they will see the reward. They should now; a winning team!!

Comment

If this is the best recruiting class in program history and a top 50 in the nation as rated by basketball pundants why our we not getting more out of them ?

Comment

Working...
                                X