This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady Shocks @ Drake and @ UNI

The Lady Shocks (20-2, 11-0) take their 19-game winning streak on the road as they visit Drake (11-11, 5-6) at 7:00pm Friday and Northern Iowa (11-11, 7-4) at 2:00pm Sunday.

I'm not quite sure what to make of these games. The Shocks put a pair of 33-point beat downs on Drake (80-47) and UNI (88-55) when they visited Koch Arena in January. I'm not expecting anything close to that this weekend for several reasons. 1 - The games are on the road, 2 - Drake and UNI have a better idea of what they will be facing the 2nd time around and 3 - I don't think the Shocks are playing nearly as well lately as they did in those two games. Those were two of their better performances on the year.

That said in order for Drake or UNI to beat the Shocks I think will take a poor shooting game and/or big foul trouble for the Shocks. Both are in the realm of possibilities but hopefully the Shocks will avoid those happenstances.

Coach Jody Adams who already has by far the best career winning % in Shocker history can tie Linda Hargrove for the most career wins (113) with one win this weekend and she can become the all-time leader in career wins with 2 wins this weekend. If that happens Jody will have accomplished that in just under 6 full seasons. Coach Hargrove took a full 9 seasons to accumulate her 113 wins.

Shocker Notes for the Drake Game.

:poster_shocks:

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    The Lady Shocks (20-2, 11-0) take their 19-game winning streak on the road as they visit Drake (11-11, 5-6) at 7:00pm Friday and Northern Iowa (11-11, 7-4) at 2:00pm Sunday.

I'm not quite sure what to make of these games. The Shocks put a pair of 33-point beat downs on Drake (80-47) and UNI (88-55) when they visited Koch Arena in January. I'm not expecting anything close to that this weekend for several reasons. 1 - The games are on the road, 2 - Drake and UNI have a better idea of what they will be facing the 2nd time around and 3 - I don't think the Shocks are playing nearly as well lately as they did in those two games. Those were two of their better performances on the year.

That said in order for Drake or UNI to beat the Shocks I think will take a poor shooting game and/or big foul trouble for the Shocks. Both are in the realm of possibilities but hopefully the Shocks will avoid those happenstances.

Coach Jody Adams who already has by far the best career winning % in Shocker history can tie Linda Hargrove for the most career wins (113) with one win this weekend and she can become the all-time leader in career wins with 2 wins this weekend. If that happens Jody will have accomplished that in just under 6 full seasons. Coach Hargrove took a full 9 seasons to accumulate her 113 wins.

Shocker Notes for the Drake Game.

:poster_shocks:
    As I read Kelsey's and Jody's quotes in today's Eagle it appears to me the team is aware of the challenge, the intensity they must bring and the fact the opposing teams know them well and would love a big feather in their caps. I plan on us winning big both games.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
      As I read Kelsey's and Jody's quotes in today's Eagle
      See link.

Comment

Video available on Drake's website for $4.95

Drake opens up, as you would expect, in a 2-3 packed-in zone and it is giving the Shocks some difficulty.

Drake leads 5-4 at the first media time-out.

Comment

Drake 12 - Shocks 11 at the under 12 timeout.

Comment

Halftime: Drake 26 - Shocks 25

Kelsey picked up 3 fouls in he 1st half which is big problem because this team simply has no depth and, outside of Alex, not an over-abundance of BBIQ.

Alex is carrying the team but I don't think she can win this game by herself.

I thought Drake outplayed the Shocks in terms of effort in the 1st half.

Kind of feel fortunate to only be down by 1 at the half. Hopefully, Jody can make some effective adjustments for the 2nd half and someone other than Alex can step up and knock a few shots down.

Comment

Kelsey picks up her 4th foul early in the 2nd half. She simply has not adjusted to how the game is being called. Just not very smart play.

That will hurt because we simply don't have a lot of good choices coming off he bench. We need Jamillah to get hot.

Comment

Alex making some great passes here in the 2nd half to get Michelle some easy baskets.

Comment

Alie Decker coming to life with a couple of 2nd half treys. Michelle picks up her 3rd foul.

Comment

Shocks up 58-49 at the under 8 media timeout. Kelsey has fouled out. Michelle and Jamillah each have 3 fouls. Drake in the bonus.

Alie Decker has given the Shocks a big lift with 3 treys in the second half.

Tough game. Both teams fighting hard.

Comment

Alie Decker with her 4th trey of the half. Michelle Price also stepping up nicely. Alex Harden doing what Alex does...everything.

Shocks lead 63-51 at the under 4 timeout.

Comment

I wish Alex wasn't so unselfish at times.

Comment

Lady Shocks win 70-61. Improve to 21-2 (12-0)

Comment

Shocks hit their free throws down the stretch and hold on for a nice 70-61 road win against a fired-up Drake team.

I think Alex had 25 points but Alie Decker probably deserves POG honors as her three-point shooting was the difference maker in the 2nd half.

Congrats to Jody on win #113 to tie Linda Hargrove at #1 in all-time career coaching wins and congrats to the team on extending their winning streak t0 20 games.

Correction: Alex had 22 points.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 14, 2014, 09:24 PM.

Comment

UNI stomped MSU 79-60 in Cedar Falls tonight so looks like they are playing well heading into the game with the Shocks on Sunday. I'm anticipating another tough battle on Sunday.

INS crushed SIU in Terre Haute 72-35 to stay within 3 games of the Shocks.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 14, 2014, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X