No announcement yet.

Shocker SB at Coastal Carolina Invitational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After a 1-2-3 top of the sixth, Drexel brings on a new pitcher to start the bottom half. LOL. Paige gets a homer off of her. 4-0 after six.

A two-out error by Ali in the seventh, but Sloan completes the shutout. Shockers win, 4-0.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; March 1, 2013, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Sloan brought her lunch pail today and finished the game with two strong innings working around a 2-out error in the 7th by Ali.

It's still early and perhaps the level of competition is not quite what it was last year but Sloan's numbers are looking pretty good this year in comparison to last year. Last year Sloan had a 5.32 ERA, a WHIP of 1.70 she gave up 1.96 homers per 7 innings. So far this year Sloan has a 1.64 ERA, a WHIP of 1.08 and she has allowed only 3 homers in 42.2 IP (0.49 per 7 innings). Those numbers may not stay this low, but she certainly appears to have made some big strides from a year ago.

It will be ineresting to see how she holds up against the BCS and upper-division Valley opponents.

So far Katie has carried the load against Mississippi State and Alabama and she held up pretty well.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 1, 2013, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Drexel 0-4 Shockers

Sloan gets the shutout, giving up five hits and one walk. Her ERA is now in the neighborhood of 1.60. She and PCSS seem to be on a better page with each other this year than they were last.

We only had six hits, but Melanie's two-run double and solo shots by Ali and Paige were enough.

We take on Western Carolina again at 130pm tomorrow with a game against Coastal Carolina at 530pm.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
          We take on Western Carolina again at 130pm tomorrow with a game against Coastal Caroling at 530pm.
          Is Coastal a music school? :welcoming:

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Is Coastal a music school? :welcoming:
            Yeah, I caught it and corrected it before finding this. :) But perhaps Olde English Carols? Chaucer and all?

I should note that Hayley is pounding the ball pretty good, too.

Comment

Yeah, I caught it and corrected it before finding this. :) But perhaps Olde English Carols? Chaucer and all?

I should note that Hayley is pounding the ball pretty good, too.
              Just as long as it is not in Middle English. Man, I hated that stuff in college. Of course, when I was in college Middle English was the official language!

'72

Comment

Just as long as it is not in Middle English. Man, I hated that stuff in college. Of course, when I was in college Middle English was the official language!

'72
                Can you say Beowulf? I thought you could.

Comment

Friday scores

Shockers 8-5 Western Carolina
                  Shockers 4-0 Drexel
                  Albany 5-2 Western Carolina
                  Coastal Carolina 8-0 Drexel. Drexel only got three hits in this one.
                  Albany 4-2 Coastal Carolina

Until we prove otherwise, Albany is the big dog of this tournament. Pun intended.

Comment

goshockers writeup of Friday's games

Comment

Until we prove otherwise, Albany is the big dog of this tournament. Pun intended.
                      Albany probably has that title pretty much wrapped up, although from recruiting standpoint I wouldn't think being a big dog is necessarily a selling point to those of the female persuasion.

Comment

Albany probably has that title pretty much wrapped up, although from recruiting standpoint I wouldn't think being a big dog is necessarily a selling point to those of the female persuasion.
                        And from reading their site, the women's teams are not the Lady-anythings, just the Great Danes.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how the pitching assignments go for the rest of the tournament. To this point, Katie gets the first game of the day at a tournament and Sloan gets the second.

But we play Western Carolina first again today, and Katie started against them yesterday. So does Sloan gets the start against Western, and Katie the start against Coastal Carolina in the last game of the day at 630pm local time? Then we turn around and play the first game tomorrow at 9am local time. Who gets that start? Sloan, so Katie does not have the quick turnaround? (I know it is overnight, but still.) Sloan appears to be pitching better, but she has had the advantage of pitching against the weaker (on paper) teams that we have faced - just the luck of the draw in the tournament setups. And Katie certainly did quite well against Alabama in a losing cause.

Then again, HCKB may just stay with the "Katie gets the first game, Sloan gets the second" schedule used so far. Giving Hunter the start against Western is also possible, but unlikely I think.

Comment

If it were me, and the Shockers are probably very fortunate it ain't me, I would probably go with Sloan against WCU and Katie against the Chant & Cheers of CCU.

I would probably start Sloan agains Albany tomorrow with Katie ready and able to come in if and as needed of is we get out to a big lead and you just want to split up the workload. Kind of hate to remove pitcher in a close game if she is doing well.

Just my relatively uninformed 1.5 cents worth of sense.

That said, I'm fine with whichever way HCKB wants to go on this. Would love to see the Shocks come out of the weekend above 0.500 for the season.

Comment

Sloan does get the start against WCU.

Comment

tied at 0 after four. On a side note, Wichita East's Ashley Malone (uncommitted I think) homered for Butler to beat 15th ranked Navarro in the top of the 14th in Longview, Texas. (hint)

Comment

Working...
                                X