Shocker SB at Coastal Carolina Invitational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    No problem with Paige going in for defense, but she can do that without pinch-hitting. I don't have a big problem with pinch hitting for Erin if you have a quality bat you can do with.
    I did a poor job of offering a rationale. If the game is still tied 5-5, I don't think HCKB makes this move. But with a three-run lead and Erin not having a hot bat, I can see it, trying to use as many of your kids as you can in the "right" situations. Understand, I'm not saying I think it was a great move - it is just that I can make some sense of it. And if the game gets close again, Erin always has the re-entry. And Paige did snare the game-ending line drive, a circus catch I am sure. :)

Comment

I guess I don't understand what you mean with "offensive" line up, when Vickers struck out almost at every bat last weekend and again today. The other right fielder has the second highest batting average. Coach B did the same thing with Paige last weekend, put her in to DH at an odd time. So, I too question some decisions. Melanie has been doing well, as has Hayley. Fortner is coming along nicely, too, by looking at stats etc. I just hope they are ready for Valley play!

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
        I did a poor job of offering a rationale. If the game is still tied 5-5, I don't think HCKB makes this move. But with a three-run lead and Erin not having a hot bat, I can see it, trying to use as many of your kids as you can in the "right" situations. Understand, I'm not saying I think it was a great move - it is just that I can make some sense of it. And if the game gets close again, Erin always has the re-entry. And Paige did snare the game-ending line drive, a circus catch I am sure. :)
        Yeah, but a 3-run lead with is not a huge lead for this Shocker team. Now a 5-run lead, then yeah I can see it. Odds are Erin would not get a hit in that instance either, although I think her chances are significantly better than Paige's at this point.

Comment

Live Stats for the Drexel game.

Game not started yet.

Comment

Originally posted by URKidng View Post
            I guess I don't understand what you mean with "offensive" line up, when Vickers struck out almost at every bat last weekend and again today.
            Danika is a slapper mostly (as is Kaitlyn), but Laura provides power - theoretically. But I absolutely agree with - you can't hit it very far if you can't make contact. I would expect Danika or Kaitlyn in the starting lineup for the Drexel game. Kaitlyn pinch-ran in the first game after not playing much last weekend (injury?).

Comment

^^^^ Nothing happens without being given opportunity. Walk before you run, etc. In three or four years when the Shocks are winning on a regular basis, this conversation will be relevant. Until then, everyone should be given a chance to show what they can do in situations. Just my unwanted opinion. :)

Comment

Drexel v Shockers

Also the GT link if you prefer that.

Sloan in the circle, Danika in right and Paige at third.

No score in the first.
                Last edited by flyingMoose; March 1, 2013, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hovpen View Post
                  ^^^^ Nothing happens without being given opportunity. Walk before you run, etc. In three or four years when the Shocks are winning on a regular basis, this conversation will be relevant. Until then, everyone should be given a chance to show what they can do in situations. Just my unwanted opinion. :)
                  I have no problem with giving opportunities. Perhaps just pick your spots a little more judiciously. You could just as well argue that Erin needed that opportunity as much as Paige at this point in the season and her career. In any case, it was a non-factor so alls well that ends well. Let Paige start a game and see what she can do if giving her the opportunity is the goal. (Which is in fact what they are doing against Drexel).

Hopefully Paige picks up her 1st career hit today (at a minimum) and it proves to be an important one.

Comment

In the second, Sloan yields two singles, but a third "single", a bloop to center, gets a force out at second, and she gets out of the inning. Only a walk for the Shocks in the bottom half. No score after two.

In the third, Paige singles to the pitcher!! :) Layne then reaches on an error, Brittany moves them over with a bunt, and Melanie drives them home with a double. Shocks lead, 2-0 after three complete.
                    Last edited by flyingMoose; March 1, 2013, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Paige gets her 1st collegiate hit. In infield single but sometimes that's all it takes. The good thing was the hit was leading off an inning.

Layne Greenlee reaches on an error and Melanie Jaegers delivers both Paige and Layne with a 2-run double as the Shocks take a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the 3rd.

So Paige adds her 1st collegiate run scored to the pot.

Melanie certainly getting it done for the Shocks so far this season.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 1, 2013, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        Melanie certainly getting it done for the Shocks so far this season.
                        She is clearly the stud on this team right now. Hitting, stealing bases, throwing out runners.

Comment

Drexel gets two singles in the fourth but cannot score. A single and walk get the same result for the Shocks. Still 2-0 after four.

Comment

In the fifth, Ali gets her first Shocker homer. A walk and single follow, but no more scoring. Shocks lead, 3-0 after five.

Comment

Paige Mason gets her 2nd hit of the day and her college career, a home run in the 6th to put the Shocks up 4-0.

Congrats, Paige. Now keep it going.

Comment

Sometimes all you need is someone to take a chance at you. #springboard???

Comment

Working...
                                X