Does Volleyball need its own arena?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Volleyball need its own arena?

Were talking pie in the sky stuff here, but does the development of our Volleyball program warrant an on campus volleyball arena? There is that open area that is dug into the ground right next to Koch that would be perfect. I guys the logic behind this would be that a smaller gym would provide a better home court advantage. Maybe something in the 4000 seat range. This post isn't about whether or not we could afford this, but rather or not if it would help WSU take the next step.

Are there any schools that have Volleyball specific gyms? What about K-state, do they play at Ahearn?

Of course it would help.

Nebraska has a volleyball arena. K-State plays in Ahearn.

Comment

Because we are able to put enough people in Koch to keep it from seeming cavernous, I don't know how much of an advantage it would provide. It would help, but I'm not sure that it would be a major factor for the program.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

After we win our first national championship then we will need most of Koch arena to accomodate the horde of fans.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

It is OK to dream isn't it. :clap:

Comment

Yes, it would be great to have a 4000 seat arena devoted to VB... one where the floor (that's my biggest hang-up with Koch Arena) matched the sport.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

On a more practical level, let's see if we can get the badly needed indoor practice facility for our very fine baseball program done before we take on any more projects. Even that facility will be used by multiple sports.

I really don't see a single purpose building for VB being built in my lifetime.

I suspect we would see a parking garage built on the ground you mentioned before we would see a VB arena.

To me the worst thing about Koch is the boundary lines of the Volleyball court as currently laid out are not ideal. Especially the side along the black lane on the west side of the court.

Comment

Actually, I bet Nebraska wishes they had a bigger VB arena right now.

Comment

How many people were at the K-State game? 6,000 something?

Turning away 2,000 people to a WSU Volleyball Match isn't the answer for expanding a fanbase.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock
                  How many people were at the K-State game? 6,000 something?

Turning away 2,000 people to a WSU Volleyball Match isn't the answer for expanding a fanbase.
                  Sadly, accomodating those 6,000 fans has not seemed to have had a positive impact on the fan base either, at least so far.

We only drew 1,591 for our match with #16 Cal Poly.

Our second biggest home crowd this year was the match against pre-season MVC favorite UNI with attendance of 2,294. This was a little over 1,000 less than our match with UNI last year.

Not sure what that is telling us and there may be other factors impacting attendance this year, such as higher season ticket prices and stretched family budgets due to higher gasoline prices to name a couple of factors that may be having an impact.

Whatever it is telling us I'm not sure we can do much about it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                    After we win our first national championship then we will need most of Koch arena to accomodate the horde of fans.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

It is OK to dream isn't it. :clap:
                    With Stockman and Tokarz both being sophomores, along with Eckenrode, Niggemeyer, Moore, Granville and Wadsworth, I think we will have a good team in 2008 and 2009. I think Sara and Abby are great and I will REALLY miss them after this year is done. We only have two seniors (Lungren and Harsh) and three juniors (Broussard, Jakubov and Keys) and some the freshmen look very good (e.g. Sarah McGee, Amanda Backes); I think the future is bright. It is OK to dream isn't it? YES!!
                    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I intended to add that I love how Lindsey attacks the ball - she looks like she wants to kill it - and I love Katie's skill - she is a GOOD player.
                      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

2111 - Texas A&M hosted Prairie View A&M, Aug 25
                        2097 - Wichita State hosted Evansville, Sep 28
                        2090 - Wichita State hosted Southern Illinois, Sep 29
                        2067 - Colorado State hosted Ohio State, Aug 30

SWEET!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                          Actually, I bet Nebraska wishes they had a bigger VB arena right now.
                          Avtually, if they wanted to, they could always play in the same arena that the basketball team plays in. The fact is, they don't want to play in the larger arena because it wouldn't give them as much of an advantage as they'd never sell the thing out, and if they can't seel it out, they wouldn't be able to brag about their sell-out streak.

[A little known fact about UN-L volleyball - they have so many sell outs because the tix are ridiculously inexpensive for a program that spends SO much money. Even after winning national championships, the VB program hemorraghes cash]

Comment

That's what 372 consectutive football sellouts and the cash cow that comes from a handful of programs like that allow you to do.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                              That's what 372 consectutive football sellouts and the cash cow that comes from a handful of programs like that allow you to do.
                              The natives up here are getting pretty restless. If the FB team doesn't learn how to play D, that sellout streak, along with the coaching jobs of the HC and certainly the DC, may be in jeopardy.

Comment

Working...
                              X