Does Volleyball need its own arena?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    There isn't any question that it's less slippery or that it's easier to call lines.

I wonder how it is on knees though.....there was a period in the 80s where a bunch of schools installed those floors and knee injuries soared.
    Is that because I is less slippery and causes players' feet to perhaps not give when the need to? Sort of like catching your cleats in the artificial turf.

Comment

Absolutely. Those sticky courts are hell for non-contact injuries, probably more for basketball then volleyball but still....I bet it's a nightmare.

Comment

Here is the site of the major company in the volleyball court surface business:

Sport Court is the industry leader in sport court floors, basketball court flooring, and has been building professional or home basketball courts since 1974

They don't say a lot about how much less slippery it is, but they do argue that the added cushion of the court reduces joint stress.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
          Here is the site of the major company in the volleyball court surface business:

Sport Court is the industry leader in sport court floors, basketball court flooring, and has been building professional or home basketball courts since 1974

They don't say a lot about how much less slippery it is, but they do argue that the added cushion of the court reduces joint stress.
          I didn't delve very deeply into that web site but those look like permanent installations as opposed to the portable over-laid court the U.S.A. national team used. That floor had had no shine to it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            I didn't delve very deeply into that web site but those look like permanent installations as opposed to the portable over-laid court the U.S.A. national team used. That floor had had no shine to it.
            No, these are the portable courts used for both the NCAA championships and USA Volleyball:

Sport Court has been the official surface of USA Volleyball since 1989 and the NCAA Championships since 1993. Our history is entwined and volleyball experie...
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

[QUOTE=The Mad Hatter;504813]No, these are the portable courts used for both the NCAA championships and USA Volleyball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP6ttaWo5Gc[/QUOTE

Thanks. Very nice. Would this be an option at Koch Arena without harming the underlying basketball court? Not sure how practical it would be to install, remove and store repeated throughout a season. This would be a good question for Lambo?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Thanks. Very nice. Would this be an option at Koch Arena without harming the underlying basketball court? Not sure how practical it would be to install, remove and store repeated throughout a season. This would be a good question for Lambo?
                Given that these are used over NCAA basketball courts for the NCAA semis and finals, and has been used at Koch for the men's national team, there is no question that it could be used at CKA. Whether the cost point and hassle of setup justify it, who knows? Certainly possible that Lamb has an opinion, but the opinion of the basketball coaches probably also matters because if setup/teardown time is increased at Koch, it may cut into their court use time.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  Absolutely. Those sticky courts are hell for non-contact injuries, probably more for basketball then volleyball but still....I bet it's a nightmare.
                  I play volleyball on one of those rubbery surfaces. But it's so old now that it's at least as slippery as a well-finished hardwood court. I played basketball on that same court 15 or so years ago when it was still "sticky" and it did feel weird. I could see where people might suffer ligament injuries or jam a toe into the end of their shoe.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                    I play volleyball on one of those rubbery surfaces. But it's so old now that it's at least as slippery as a well-finished hardwood court. I played basketball on that same court 15 or so years ago when it was still "sticky" and it did feel weird. I could see where people might suffer ligament injuries or jam a toe into the end of their shoe.
                    I doubt if the floors they have today are the same as the ones you played on 15 years ago, although I guess I don't know that for sure. I am just assuming that over that many years some improvements in technology and materials has been made.

Comment

Working...
                    X