No announcement yet.

Does Volleyball need its own arena?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SubGod22: I was just trying to be nice to a guest - and let him explain the situation.
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

My bad. I knew I was tired and that never registered.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Why not just set a goal, and say, if the team ever breaks into the top 25, they get their own subforum?

Comment

They've been in the Top 25, and that really hasn't increased talk to a point they should get one.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
            They've been in the Top 25, and that really hasn't increased talk to a point they should get one.
            If necessary, I can talk a lot. :yes: :lol:
            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
              Originally posted by SubGod22
              If necessary, I can talk a lot. :yes: :lol:
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I think on the vb only floor, there would be lots of issues that would make it darn near impossible to do.

1. Like was mentioned, overlapping dates
                2. It could ruin the floor underneath, even though there are special things to put between them
                3. Setup would take quite a while
                4. WSU doesn't have enough staff for a removable floor system
                5. Cost

The basketball court is a good surface. It's far superior to what everyone used to play on.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85
                  Don't be mislead about the NU volleyball facility. It is located in an old fieldhouse (NU Colesium) that outlived its usefulness and was carved-up to be used for other things. The volleyball venue is the end-zone and not quite half of the side stands. It is very cool and vert intimate for 5,000 or so volleyball fans, but it is NOT a facility built (from the ground-up) for volleyball.

Tickets are not cheap and NU students have a difficult time getting tickets for home volleyball matches, which they don't like. There are too many seats reserved for season ticket holders and NU boosters.

The NU Colesium is an intimidating place. You go in the building and there are tons of trophies and such for volleyball. The court is surrounded by dozens of Big 8 and Big 12, NCAA regional, NCAA Final Four, and NCAA Championship banners. The fans sit right at courtside on the end-lines and it gets LOUD!!

Some creative configuration in Koch Arena could improve the atmosphere. Pull the VB court closer to the stands and use temporary bleachers on the opposite side.

--'85.
                  According to the OWH today, UN-L's arena hold 4,034 people. Its not a fancy place by any means, but it does create a hostile environment.

Comment

This is completely unrelated to any of this but Arkansas upset #5 (and previously undefeated) Florida on Friday. woohoo.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog
                      This is completely unrelated to any of this but Arkansas upset #5 (and previously undefeated) Florida on Friday. woohoo.
                      :yes: :good: :yahoo:

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                        I would like to see WSU purchase a volleyball only floor. I know that can be done, as we had the Kansas Coliseum floor in Levitt the last few years before renovation. The hitch might be if that would damage the current floor and its "springy" properties.

I saw some VB match on TV, can't remember who, but they were in what was obviously their basketball arena (a gazillion empty seats), but had a VB only floor down over the regular floor. Looked very nice.
                        I decided to bump this thread, because i was thinking about both these points the other night.

A) With the innovation on campus, it would be cool to see a nice newer, smaller facility for both volleyball and women's basketball

B) Why hasn't WSU invested in a volleyball specific court? The support has to be there to make it possible. I'd be willing to donate a little money to make it happen, and I am sure others would be willing to as well.

What do you all think, seven years later?
                        The Assman

Comment

Wow, 7 year old thread.

Comment

kind of a tangent, but does anyone know if any of the volleyball court overlay surfaces handles moisture better than the standard wood basketball floor does?

moisture particularly in the form of sweat, which tends to be a bigger issue in vb than in basketball with all the diving and such (moreso with some teams than others). I've noticed vb players slipping and losing their footing on wet spots on the (basketball) floor and I didn't know if sportcourt or any of the other types handled that sort of thing better or not.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
                              kind of a tangent, but does anyone know if any of the volleyball court overlay surfaces handles moisture better than the standard wood basketball floor does?

moisture particularly in the form of sweat, which tends to be a bigger issue in vb than in basketball with all the diving and such (moreso with some teams than others). I've noticed vb players slipping and losing their footing on wet spots on the (basketball) floor and I didn't know if sportcourt or any of the other types handled that sort of thing better or not.
                              I don't know the answer to that for sure, but I can tell that the USA Men' National Team travel with their own synthetic overlay surface as they played in Wichita 3 consecutive years and I have to say I really liked that floor. The ability to tell if balls were in or out was much better for me than the temporary tape boundaris the Shocks use at Koch Arena.

If I had to make a bet I would probably put my money on the synthetic overlay as being less slippery as well.

Comment

There isn't any question that it's less slippery or that it's easier to call lines.

I wonder how it is on knees though.....there was a period in the 80s where a bunch of schools installed those floors and knee injuries soared.

Comment

Working...
                                X