Shocker Volleyball Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
    I don't know if this will make sense to anyone, but with the new lights it was like watching the game in HD.
    I wonder if part of this might be the eclipse effect. I was reading somewhere during the eclipse mania that one reason it was so dangerous to your eyes is that as the eclipse causes it to get darker your pupils will dilate to let more light in like they do anytime it turns dark. So perhaps our eyes are wider open as we view from the dim area to the brightly lit area.

OMG, we're all going to go blind!

Maybe there is a market for those used eclipse viewing glasses after all.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 16, 2017, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Lambo's post-Creighton match interview with Mike Kennedy:

Comment

Mikaela's post-Creighton match interview with Mike Kennedy:

Could not be happier for something really good to happen for Mikaela.

Comment

Shocker highlights in win over Creighton:

Comment

Here is the Creighton take from goCreighton.com including some of thier highlights (mostly from Set 2 I think) and with a closeup and personal view plus a post-game interview with Coach Kirsten Bernthal-Booth.

The Creighton Volleyball team renewed acquaintances with longtime MVC rival Wichita State on Friday night at Charles Koch Arena.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              ... plus a post-game interview with Coach Kirsten Bernthal-Booth.

http://www.gocreighton.com/news/2017...l-classic.aspx
              Starting about the 1:30 mark.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                I'm sorry, but if watching those student athletes compete and enjoy the win doesn't give you goosebumps you don't like sports.

Comment

Yes you did and yes you were (at least the little angel you brought with you probably was). Tradition requires that whenever a Shocker fan attends their first Shocker volleyball match they are obligated to report on their experience. So let's here it.
                  Not much of a writer but here goes....

I have really never followed volleyball. In fact the only Time I ever remember watching is during the summer Olympics. During the winter Olympics I've always tried to watch the curling, not sure why because never even think about it the rest of the four years but that's beside the point. Anyway my point is that this is not the typical sporting event I tend to watch and so I was unsure how it would be. The entire family, including the one-year-old, attended last night and we all absolutely loved it! In fact, I even went home a little horse. Our volleyball Squad is good, I mean really good. The wife and I especially enjoyed watching Tabitha, commenting several times how freaking good she is. It has been mentioned on This Thread about fans not knowing the tradition as of how us fans are supposed to act. Well, we would be those fans who don't know the tradition but are the fans who are willing to learn because we plan to attend again. If there is anyone out there who reads this forum and has not gone to a game, I would highly urge you to do so. It was a hell of a good time!

The upgrades to the arena are just awesome. The only thing that stood out to me as out of place where the conference banners. Incredibly small and almost appeared out of place. In fact they reminded me of the Flags like you can buy it Dillons. Seems like we should be able to step them up a bit. Being able to turn out the lights and use a spotlight for the unveiling of the new Banner was really cool. I'm guessing player intros are going to be upgraded significantly with the ability to manipulate the lighting. Very cool touch!

My 14 month old girl finally had the chance to meet Wu. She loves Wu and we cannot go by a picture of him without her pointing and yelling ""Shock, Shock". When we saw him as we walked through the doors her face lit up like it was Christmas. Just seeing that face was worth going to the game all by itself. At that point enjoying the volleyball match was icing on the cake. She's so damn cute!

In conclusion, we had a great time last night and plan to do it again! GO SHOX!

Comment

One thing that the above shot of the Lady Shocks immediately after scoring the final point of the match is that probably is really our most potent scoring rotation. Emily, Tabitha, Alex, Emma, Giorgia and Hannah.

Creighton had won 3 out of 4 points to pull within 1 at 21-22. Tabitha had a big kill to restore the all-important 2-point margin at 23-21. However, at that point Abbie rotated out and I think Hannah entered on the back row. I mentioned to my wife that may not be our strongest lineup to close this out with.

Emma and Alex stepped up with a huge block to put the Shocks at Match point at 24-21 (actually it was block solo by Alex but Emma was in the vicinity so they each got a block assist). A Creighton kill put a bit of pressure back on the Shocks at 24-22. I think everyone in the arena knew that if the Shocks got in system the ball was going to Tabitha. The Shocks did get a great pass (from Giorgia I think) to Emily and sure enought the ball went to Tabitha who ended it with a no doubter. And the celebration was on.

Comment

Scores of Interest (more scores later)

Northern Iowa 3-1 #10 Nebraska
                      20 23 (14) 21

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                        Scores of Interest (more later)

Northern Iowa 3-1 #10 Nebraska
                        20 23 (14) 21
                        UNI has some really nice wins this season including #18 Southern Cal, #19 Iowa State and now #10 Nebraska. Nobody likes to play UNI because they just won't let the ball find the floor very easily. I think maybe the Shocks took a page out of UNI's book against Creighton. BTW, Creighton did sweep UNI a couple of weeks ago.

One thing I will miss about the Valley is the volleyball matches with UNI and Missouri State.

I guess this qualifies as a down year for the Cornhuskers or are we seeing Volleyball parity getting even better.

Comment

UNI has some really nice wins this season including #18 Southern Cal, #19 Iowa State and now #10 Nebraska. Nobody likes to play UNI because they just won't let the ball find the floor very easily. I think maybe the Shocks took a page out of UNI's book against Creighton. BTW, Creighton did sweep UNI a couple of weeks ago.

One thing I will miss about the Valley is the volleyball matches with UNI and Missouri State.

I guess this qualifies as a down year for the Cornhuskers or are we seeing Volleyball parity getting even better.
                          If UNI had not lost to UMKC last weekend ...

When I saw the conference RPI posted earlier for the AAC, I thought the same thing about Northern Iowa and Missouri State.

I think it is a down year for Nebraska.

Comment

Iowa State takes Set 1 from Creighton 25-21.

Creighton makes it 1-1 with a 25-22 win in Set 2.

Go to go.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 16, 2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Another Score

Missouri State 2-3 v Illinois
                              (23) (21) 23 21 12

Northern Iowa and Kansas State are currently playing.

Comment

Iowa State takes Set 1 from Creighton 25-21.

Creighton makes it 1-1 with a 25-22 win in Set 2.

Go to go.
                                The Creighton setter Dimke is on crutches for this match. The Jays are running a 6-2 in her absence.

Comment

Working...
                                X