2017 Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
    The Projected RPI, the most useful of all of these numbers, is yet to come.
    The Projected RPI for the Shocks is 21.

The Projected RPIs of interest in the Valley are Northern Iowa at 40 and Missouri State at 47.

Comment

Using that guy Pablo, the projected end-of-season record of our opponents is 203-106 for .657.

Comment

Tulane was swept by the Shocks and moved up from 92 to 85 in the RPI. Tulane's match with AAC bottom dweller Memphis was postponed.

Take note AAC coaches and apply that to your scheduling.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Tulane was swept by the Shocks and moved up from 92 to 85 in the RPI. Tulane's match with AAC bottom dweller Memphis was postponed.

Take note AAC coaches and apply that to your scheduling.
          Honest question. Now that I have started looking at this thread bit, I've noticed the MVC mentioned as being pretty good. Was the move to the American a step up for VB? Push maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
            Honest question. Now that I have started looking at this thread bit, I've noticed the MVC mentioned as being pretty good. Was the move to the American a step up for VB? Push maybe?
            I think overall a step up but perhaps the smallest step up of any sport the Shocks play. The AAC + WSU has an average RPI of 142 and the Valley - WSU has an average RPI of 176. If WSU was still in the Valley those numbers would be AAC at 153 and MVC at 158.

However, I think that the AAC is down a bit this year from last year largely due to some very key injuries to some teams. If WSU was still in the Valley then the Valley would be better at the top of the league this year than the AAC is. However, long-term the AAC should be a step up. I see no reason why UNI and MSU won't continue to be strong teams but not sure any of the other Valley programs can bring it on a sustained basis. I think a number of AAC programs can be consistently good over time. I guess time will tell for sure.

Basically, the formula the Valley had for multiple bids was to have 3 or 4 teams that were solid and that always included UNI, MSU and WSU and then schedule smart in the non-con and hold a 6-team conference tournament with the Top 2 seeds assured of a semi-final spot. In recent years that worked well for the Valley but clearly UNI, MSU and WSU carried that league.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              I think overall a step up but perhaps the smallest step up of any sport the Shocks play. The AAC + WSU has an average RPI of 142 and the Valley - WSU has an average RPI of 176. If WSU was still in the Valley those numbers would be AAC at 153 and MVC at 158.

However, I think that the AAC is down a bit this year from last year largely due to some very key injuries to some teams. If WSU was still in the Valley then the Valley would be better at the top of the league this year than the AAC is. However, long-term the AAC should be a step up. I see no reason why UNI and MSU won't continue to be strong teams but not sure any of the other Valley programs can bring it on a sustained basis. I think a number of AAC programs can be consistently good over time. I guess time will tell for sure.

Basically, the formula the Valley had for multiple bids was to have 3 or 4 teams that were solid and that always included UNI, MSU and WSU and then schedule smart in the non-con and hold a 6-team conference tournament with the Top 2 seeds assured of a semi-final spot. In recent years that worked well for the Valley but clearly UNI, MSU and WSU carried that league.
              At least they get to travel to more desirable places other than Terre Haute and Carbondale. That seems like a step up to me.

Comment

Comment

This week's mid-major poll is up.

The Shockers remain at #6.

Others are:

Cal Poly 3 (from 4)
                  Creighton 4 (2)

Northern Iowa T7 (7)
                  Missouri State 9 (9)
                  Marquette 10 (11)

SMU 16 (17)
                  Lipscomb 20 (18)
                  Miami (OH) 21 (23)

The coaches from UConn and Houston are among the pollsters.

Comment

Remained at #20 in the RPI this week. http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volleyb...volleyball-rpi

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                      Remained at #20 in the RPI this week. http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volleyb...volleyball-rpi
                      Remaining in the Top 20 of the RPI may be a challenge especially at the end of the season when we finish off with back-to-back matches against our travel partner Memphis who is at #269 in the RPI.

Comment

Of interest to some, Missouri State leapfrogged Northern Iowa to have an RPI of 46 versus 49 for the Panthers.

It would be really interesting if the Shockers are matched up with one of them in Regionals.

Comment

Up to #21 in the AVCA poll. https://www.avca.org/polls/di-women/10-16-2017.html

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                            Shocks move up 1 spot thaanks to former conference mate UNI losing at home to Missouri State this past weekend dropping them from #20 to #25.

Comment

The Projected RPI for the Shocks is now 18.

The Projected RPIs of interest in the Valley are Missouri State at 44 and Northern Iowa at 46.

The projected end-of-season record of our opponents remains at 203-106 for .657.
                              Last edited by flyingMoose; October 20, 2017, 10:46 PM.

Comment

With less than six weeks to go until Selection Sunday, a dude on VT starts giving his thoughts on who is in and who is out. I think in the (five or six?) years he has been doing this, he has only missed one team.

His thoughts on the American

AAC - I could make several jokes here thanks to a popular poster trying to get us to drink the kool-aid on this conference, but out of respect for athletes and their teams I will save it. Wichita State has been rolling through the AAC. This conference has a regular-season championship, there is no conference tournament. Temple and Cincinnati are doing better despite their injury struggles, but I still can't see them challenging for the title. The only team who has a chance to knock off Wichita State is SMU. SMU had the chance to remain undefeated and take control of the conference, but lost H2H this weekend to Wichita State. Now, it's pretty clear that Wichita State is very likely to run away with the conference title. Wichita State could actually SWEEP the AAC, never losing to a team in a conference they just joined. Now, IF SMU somehow won the re-match and stole the title, then I this conference will have two bids as Wichita State would get an at-large bid. But in all likeliness, this is a 1-bid conference.

and on the Valley (maybe one of these years, I won't care, but not nearly yet)

Missouri Valley - Missouri State just jumped over Northern Iowa (in conference standings and in RPI). They both really need to win out and only lose to each other for the best case scenario. Northern Iowa has better wins than Missouri State, so that probably worked out better for the conference with MO ST winning. Also, Drake has really surprised in the MVC. They only ate cupcakes in the OOC, but they are 7-1 in the Valley with a 5-set loss to Missouri State. They are a big danger for UNI/Mo St. Illinois State has always proved to be a scrappy team so they could threaten to pull some upsets to. Expect to be watching Missouri State battle UNI on Thanksgiving Weekend for the MVC title. The loser might find themselves sweating on Selection Sunday, even though I strongly believe that both teams deserve a bid to the NCAA Tournament (as of now).

Comment

Working...
                                X