2017 Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
    Hey 72, I received a nice letter and four tickets from Shannon in the mail today. The tickets are for any game this year so was wondering which one you would suggest our family attending. What do you think?
    Not sure you can beat the Creighton match on Friday, September 15th at 7:00 pm. This is a match that the Shocks very well may lose. No doubt the Shocks will be the underdog in this one. Creighton has a terrific team this year as their #9 ranking suggests. This match just has so much going for it.

If you can't make that one then the match on Sunday, September 17th at 2:30 pm against #22 Iowa State could be a real battle that could easily go 5 sets.

Those are our only home matches in the non-con. In conference play it is looking like perhaps the matches with SMU on Friday, October 31 at 10:00 pm or with Temple on Sunday, November 5th at noon might be the best bets.

Of course, their is always Tulsa who will be at Koch Arena on Sunday, October 15th at 1:00 pm if the Havoc in the Heartland is a thing to you.

Question For You: Have you previously attended a Shocker Volleyball Match? If not please let us know what you think if you are able to use those tickets. Always interested to hear frist time impression of the sport and the Shocks from newcomers.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Not sure you can beat the Creighton match on Friday, September 15th at 7:00 pm. This is a match that the Shocks very well may lose. No doubt the Shocks will be the underdog in this one. Creighton has a terrific team this year as their #9 ranking suggests. This match just has so much going for it.

If you can't make that one then the match on Sunday, September 17th at 2:30 pm against #22 Iowa State could be a real battle that could easily go 5 sets.

Those are our only home matches in the non-con. In conference play it is looking like perhaps the matches with SMU on Friday, October 31 at 10:00 pm or with Temple on Sunday, November 5th at noon might be the best bets.

Of course, their is always Tulsa who will be at Koch Arena on Sunday, October 15th at 1:00 pm if the Havoc in the Heartland is a thing to you.

Question For You: Have you previously attended a Shocker Volleyball Match? If not please let us know what you think if you are able to use those tickets. Always interested to hear frist time impression of the sport and the Shocks from newcomers.
      We have never been to a volleyball match, only basketball. So this will be a new experience for us. We are planning at this point to go to the Creighton game so we will report back on our experience. We're really looking forward to it!

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
        We have never been to a volleyball match, only basketball. So this will be a new experience for us. We are planning at this point to go to the Creighton game so we will report back on our experience. We're really looking forward to it!
        Hopefully, the Shocks can at the very least make it a competitive match. A sweep will take about 1.5 hours (less if it is a blowout which I am not expecting) and a competitive 5 set match can take around 2.5 hours.

I do have to issue you a warning. If this is a tightly contested, competitive match don't be surpised if you are reeled in hook, line and sinker.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 5, 2017, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Get there about a half hour early or more so you can sit somewhat mid court. They block off the upper 10 rows or so.

Comment

I'm going to dream a little bit. What would it take to get 10,000 people at a volleyball match? Maybe an NCAA second-round match against K-State?
            78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
              I'm going to dream a little bit. What would it take to get 10,000 people at a volleyball match? Maybe an NCAA second-round match against K-State?
              I assume you mean a home volleyball match in Koch Arena. I think that if the Shockers could ever host an NCAA sub-regional I think we would draw very well. A 2nd round match against just about anyone would probably draw very well but KSU or KU would definitely give us a good shot at maybe 7,000 to 8,000.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 6, 2017, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                Get there about a half hour early or more so you can sit somewhat mid court. They block off the upper 10 rows or so.
                I actually prefer sitting off the corner of the court. I usually take up residence in the NW corner of the arena. Some folks seem to like watching from the baseline. The nice thing about Volleyball is that with everything being GA you can move around the arena and and experiment with the view you prefer or just enjoy the matches from different perspectives at different times.

As most of you have probably noted not all the chairbacks are not of a uniform width. I am ashamed to have to admit that I look for those that are of the bit wider version.

Comment

I also prefer the endzone view. I think the plays are easier to follow, and the flight of the ball is so much easier. The down fall is you don't get to see the net action.

To me it's like tennis. You'll never find me at center court of match. I'm at one end or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    I also prefer the endzone view. I think the plays are easier to follow, and the flight of the ball is so much easier. The down fall is you don't get to see the net action.

To me it's like tennis. You'll never find me at center court of match. I'm at one end or the other.
                    I like the corner view for volleyball. But for tennis, I've watched a lot of my son's matches and found I prefer center court, but a few rows up in the bleachers, if there are any. High school courts rarely have bleachers. And if they do, they are on the side.

Comment

Shox tied for #26 this week with Cal Poly. Only 4 votes away from being ranked. Opportunities this weekend in #8 Creighton and #19 Iowa State.

Comment

Also of interest,

#11 Oregon (from #14)

RV32 Missouri State (16 votes)
                        RV36 Northern Iowa (4)

The Shockers have 37 votes.

RPI from the NCAA should start appearing next week.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                          RPI from the NCAA should start appearing next week.
                          Over on VT, there is a poster who projects a team's season-ending RPI after running a bazillion simulations based on their Pablo value (a power ranking of sorts) and remaining schedule. The current Pablo rating has some of last year's value in it, but that should disappear next week.

This week, the projected RPI for the Shockers is 33. The previous week, they were 14.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                            Over on VT, there is a poster who projects a team's season-ending RPI after running a bazillion simulations based on their Pablo value (a power ranking of sorts) and remaining schedule. The current Pablo rating has some of last year's value in it, but that should disappear next week.

This week, the projected RPI for the Shockers is 33. The previous week, they were 14.
                            I see them at 24? http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thre...res-week-10-17

The American is having a dreadful year so far. Four AAC teams projected to be between 80-100, but none other than WSU in the top 80.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                              Yep, 24. The 33 is the current Pablo ranking - trying to compare apples and oranges, I suppose. Thanks.

A post earlier this morning by the guy who cranks out the Pablo values says it will be the fifth week before it is entirely based on this year's matches. Apparently, he tweaks from time to time the progression from "some of last year's, some of this year's" to "none of last year's, all of this year's."

Comment

Shockers are now #6 in this week's mid-major poll, swapping places with Cal Poly who is now #4.

Comment

Working...
                                X