No announcement yet.

Volleyball Offseason/Roster Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are any of the transfers on campus yet? Would be in the match against K-State?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
      Are any of the transfers on campus yet? Would be in the match against K-State?
      My understanding is that all the transfers are on campus. I assume all will play against K-State if they are available. But my understanding may not be accurate. WuDrWu can probably confirm if that is the case or not.

Comment

Every transfer was here at semester break.

Actually saw them at dinner with ADKS as a meet and greet type of thing.

Comment

I went to the Yellow and Black scrimmage.

Izzi Strand was wearing #16. Same number she had at UC San Diego. Same with Gabi Maas, who was wearing the same #23 that she wore at TCU. I'm fairly sure that our new #4 is Brooklyn Leggett, kinda assuming she's wearing the number she had at Mesa. I'm pretty sure that #14 is Maddie Wilson because she was playing middle. #33 and #1 could be either Barbara Koehler or Meghan Reilly. I think #1 is Meghan, but I am probably wrong.

Yellow was Katie, Annalie, Emerson, LaurenM, Sophia, #1, #33, Maddie Wilson, with Izzi at setter.
          Black was LaurenW at setter, Brylee, both Morgans, Natalie, Gabi, Kylie, Brooklyn and either Addy or LaurenC, I cant remember which. I should have written down who was on which team.

Lara and Kayce didn't play and there was someone in a walking boot, I couldn't tell who it was.

Yellow, took the first set 28-26. Black took the next sets 25-22 and 25-21. Yellow won 25-22 and forced a fifth set which Black won it 15-9(? I think).

Was an entertaining match. There was a couple of the "I got it. You got it. Nobody got it" moments on both teams.

The serving was okay. Several aces and a few in-the-net service errors. #1 has a nice topspin jump serve, and it was good to see that Maas could make a decent pass off of them when she received serve. Maddie Wilson has some velocity on her serves.

The setting wasn't bad, but it definitely could have been better. Izzi made some nice sets that got one-on-one matchups for her hitters. She also attempted quite a few setter dumps.

Blocking was good. Maddie Wilson played pretty well, she got a couple of nice blocks and overpass kills.

Digging was pretty good. I believe that Maas will play libero next year. It seemed like she was everywhere.

Not sure which of our new hitters scored more points, but I believe they all scored a couple of points throughout the match.

I think Maddie will be pushing for a spot in the starting lineup especially with her serve.

Of course all these observations are from a set of one, so I maybe way off in my assessments.

I hope we do well against K-State.

Comment

Still on for K-State at 2 today? Wanting to head out there.

Comment

Set 1 vs KSU

Shocks up 15-14 in Set 1 at the break.

Looks like Katie Z Parker is the only coach on hand that I can see.

I don't think Kayce is here either. Last year she was at an AAC Student Leader function on one of the scrimmage dates.

A nice cross court kill by Sophia gives the Shocks a 25-23 first set win.

Izzy looks pretty solid at setter as does Maas at the libero.

I thought Brylee's passing looked much improved from last year.

One other transfer played (#14) at the middle along with Natalie and did okay. Not sure who that was since the transfers aren't yet listed on the roster.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 25, 2023, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Set 2 vs KSU

Emerson, Katie G, and MorganS on in Set 2 plus one of the transfers at ROH wearing #4.

KSU jumped out to an 8-3 lead (I think) but the Shocks closed to 13-15 at the mid-set break.

Shocks lead 20-17 after a Natalie stuff block and KSU calls timeout.

A Natalie kill puts away the 2nd set at 25- 18.

Our passing serms to be much improved.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 25, 2023, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Set 3 va KSU

Sophia, Big Mac Emerson, and Annalie in to start. #14 pairing with Big Mac in the middle.

Lauren Wheeler comes in at about 15 points into the set toserve.

Shocks lead 15-11 at the mid-set break.

Shocks have led by 3 or 4 most of the but KSU rallied late to tie it at 20-all.

The Shocks then ran off 4 in a row but KSU respondef with 3 in a row Katie takes a TO at 24-23.

KSU closes it out at 26-24 on a service ace off of Annalie.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 25, 2023, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Set 4 vs KSU

MorganS, Sophia, Emerson, Izzy, KatieG and Kylie starting.

Rotating with Natalie, Sophia, #14, and LaurenW at setter so staying with the 6-2 in this set.

KSU looks to have their starters back in for this set.

KSU leads 18-14. Shockers subbing very liberally in this set. Definitely a fall off in the setting with LaureW when she is in.

KSU extends their lead to 19-14 but the Shocks have closed that to 19-21.

Shocks tie it at 23-all on a Natalie block.

KSU pulls it out at 30-28 with an outstanding dig of a Sophia rocket.

LaurenW was pretty good down the stretch in this set.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 25, 2023, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Set 5 vs KSU

Brylee, Big Mac, #4, Izzy, Morgan and Gabi on the floor to start.

KSU jumped out to 3 point lead but the Shocks battle back to tie the set at 12-all with KSU calling a timeout. But KSU scores the final 2 points to take a 15-13 win.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        Set 5 vs KSU

Brylee, Big Mac, #4, Izzy, Morgan and Gabi on the floor to start.

KSU jumped out to 3 point lead but the Shocks battle back to tie the set at 12-all with KSU calling a timeout. But KSU scores the final 2 points to take a 15-13 win.
                        OUCH!

Comment

Overall, the I thought the Shockers played pretty well considering all the experimentation and massive substitutions that go on in a Spring scrimmage. Katie Zimmerman Parker looked to be the only one of the 3 coaches on hand and Kayce Litzau was not there. Also, I don't think Lara Uyar was there either.

It was entertaining volleyball. Winning these scrimmages is secondary and not very meaningful. You just want to show well and compete and I think the Shockers did that.

Keeping in mind it was only 5 sets of 1 spring scrimmage her are some of my observations.

One of my biggest impressions was that the Shocker passing seems to be much improved. A lot of that was due to the stellar passing of Texas Tech transfer Gabi Maas but I also thought the passing from returning players was improved as well especially from Brylee.

Gabi Maas is the real deal and will be the libero come next fall. She is a somewhat reminiscent of Giorgia Civita in that she is similarly built, although taller, and she seems to have a knack for ready the opponents offensive attach and being in the right place at the right time. And her passing was really good today I thought.

Izzi Strand, the 6-1 setter who transferred from UC San Diego, was also very good I thought and seemed to already be in in pretty good sync and rhythm with most of the Shocker hitters. She also looks to be like she might be a somewhat more effective scorer than Kayce. Her size is an asset in that regard.

I think #14 was probably Maddie Wilson, a 6-1 middle blocker who transferred from Idaho. She is built similarly to Abbie Lehman, just not quite as tall, but I thought she played well when she was in.

I am not sure about #4 who played on the right pin. I am guessing it was Megan Reilly, a 6-0 transfer from Arizona State, but it could also have been Brooklyn Leggett, a 6-0 transfrer from D-II Colorado Mesa or the 6-0 Barbara Koehler, the Brazilian who transferred from SW Florida State junior college. Perhaps flyingMoose or Critter's Pa might have a better idea. I was kind of irritated that these ladies haven't been added to the roster yet.

Most of the key returning plays played well including Brylee, Sophia, MorganW, MorganS, Big Mac, Annalie, KatieG and, of course, long, lean Natalie was Natalie.

As I mentioned in my live updates the Shockers played both a 5-1 with Izzi doing the honors and a 6-2 with redshirt Lauren Wheeler rotating with Izzi. Lauren was a little shaky at first but got better as the scrimmage progressed along.

Katie Reilly Zimmerman I though did a nice job managing and coaching the team. I think she is a legit candidate to succeed Lambo when he decides to hang up chalkboard if she has an interest in that and if her husband Parker's career as an orthopedic surgeon is based in Wichita once he completes his residency.

My bottom line is that I was pretty please with what I saw and think progress is being made.

Look forward to what flyingMoose and Critter's Pa have to say assuming they were able to attend (as well as anyone else who attended).

Comment

I was there too 72 and I agree with your comment about passing...seemed much improved. Didnt seem to have as many holes on defense either. Overall looked pretty good. Although Im not sure if KSU brought everyone since they had a really lean bench.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              Overall, the I thought the Shockers played pretty well

My bottom line is that I was pretty pleased with what I saw and think progress is being made.

Look forward to what flyingMoose ... have to say assuming they were able to attend (as well as anyone else who attended).
                              Gabi is a transfer from TCU. She definitely appears to be a step up at the libero position. In addition to the other comments, she had a couple of nice service runs.

Izzy's size also helped on several nice blocks. She made one cross-court set with the ball near her knees. Pretty amazing. It is clear to me that we will be in a 6-2 if we have enough hitters worthy to be put on the court. Some days, I wonder. Kayce was there (I think) but out of uniform; the girl with the long blond hair.

I agree with the observation about Lauren and her setting.

Were the other coaches on the recruiting trail? A big travel-VB weekend somewhere?

There were a scattering of K-State fans to help out, but the attendance was not terribly far off the regular season. Certainly very nice for a scrimmage. And then again, my recall may be really bad.

Comment

My guess at new player numbers, in order of my assuredness:

#16- Izzi Strand
                                #23- Gabi Maas
                                #14- Maddie Wilson
                                #4- Brooklyn Leggett
                                #33- Meghan Reilly
                                #1- Barbara Koehler

#1 and #33 didn't play. Kayce was there, Newest Roundhouse news stated she had a foot injury. I believe the person wearing the walking cast and on crutches is Addy Badley. If Lara dyed her hair black, she was there, wearing the same jacket that Kayce and #33 were wearing.

Was kinda disappointed that Morris didn't play for K-State. She was there but wearing street clothes. Lauren Hinkle didn't play either, I guess the only reason she suited up was incase something happened to their setter (LeGrand, I think).

I thought Izzi did a better job at setting than the Cat's setter. They both had a couple of scores off setter dumps.

Blocking was good for the most part. The Shockers got smoked several times from K-State's right side.

Hitting was good when the timing was there. When the timing was there, we took good shots(for the most part), be it a tip or trying to put a dent in the floor. We didn't just smack a good set straight into their blockers' hands over and over. When the timing was off, it didn't look good. It can only improve, right? K-State made some nice digs on us.

Digging looked pretty good. Some decent passes off of hard hit balls. Some horrible passes, like the one that hit Emerson(I think) in the face. Passing off block touches was good. Gabi did at least one two handed set. I wonder how good she is at setting. Both teams got kills from overpasses.

In-the-net service errors. Is there ever a good time for one? Well, they came at the worst times. I think we had back to back service errors in set 4 at 25-25 and 26-26. Or, it may have been the end of set three. Either way, it was really bad time for in-the-net service errors.

I get switching to the 6-2 early in the third set, so more people can play, but we were winning in the 5-1 (Even though they only played 9, those 9 will probably make up most of K-State's starters next year). I think the scrimmage match would have gone to 5 sets no matter who won each set. It was good that those sets went long. I wonder how many substitutions were made in the forth set.

The WSU vs UMKC game is not listed as an upcoming event on Roos Network, and I doubt the Nebraska game will be televised, so we may not get much of a feel for how well they play in the next games.

Comment

Working...
                                X