X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post

CL past 4-5 years is no better than IB
    Results just are not there.
    Maybe not, but he's also got a historic record behind him that might allot him a little more time to get things done. He's earned some benefit of the doubt on that. Also, has attendance plummeted for volleyball? I haven't heard much talk about that, but I also haven't paid a ton of attention to attendance numbers recently.

I don't get the feeling that fans have abandoned all hope and want him gone like they did with IB.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

ADKS’s recent trigger on MBB, WBB, and now BB must be making Lamb0 nervous. Yet Lamb is still hanging on…
      Running out of time.
      Maybe ADKS has put 20 wins on the table to stick around? Chris is making sure to soothe his supporters incase the Shocks only get to 19.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Maybe not, but he's also got a historic record behind him that might allot him a little more time to get things done. He's earned some benefit of the doubt on that. Also, has attendance plummeted for volleyball? I haven't heard much talk about that, but I also haven't paid a ton of attention to attendance numbers recently.

I don't get the feeling that fans have abandoned all hope and want him gone like they did with IB.
        Not sure about attendance. My gut says yes it has declined, but I have nothing but a subjective feeling.
        I used to buy season tickets and give them away to my nieces who were all in Jr High and High School. I stopped doing that after our 2nd year in the AAC and my nieces graduated

Comment

Not sure about attendance. My gut says yes it has declined, but I have nothing but a subjective feeling.
          I used to buy season tickets and give them away to my nieces who were all in Jr High and High School. I stopped doing that after our 2nd year in the AAC and my nieces graduated
          Sadly, it’s bad on the attendance numbers too.

Home Attendance
          2016: 27,163
          2017: 44,216 (hosted ncaa)
          2018: 21,773
          2019: 20,221
          2020-
          2021: 17,131
          2022: 15,990

Excuses?
          Last edited by jimshocker; June 1, 2023, 04:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimshocker View Post

Sadly, it’s bad on the attendance numbers too.

Home Attendance
            2016: 27,163
            2017: 44,216 (hosted ncaa)
            2018: 21,773
            2019: 20,221
            2020-
            2021: 17,131
            2022: 15,990

Excuses?
            Not mention the irony of Chris taking a quarter million dollar bonus in 2017 to (can’t remember actual wording) basically not leave WSU.

Now complaining about the amount of money available to the program. He took it!!! And hasn’t produced since.

Comment

• The ladies will head to Illinois Sept. 1-3 to face the Illini and Illinois State per a release of the Illinois schedule.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Attendance is down, but that goes back to the time when the games became available on ESPN+ which I think was 5 or 6 years ago. Obviously, Covid also had a a big impact more recently pushing even more fans to view matches online. A lot of those fans will not return to watching games in person.

Comment

• We were impressed with the spring games and hope this fall is the same. Thinking a new coaching staff will be good for CL, pretty easy to get in a rut over the years and some new ideas might just what this program needed.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Attendance is down, but that goes back to the time when the games became available on ESPN+ which I think was 5 or 6 years ago. Obviously, Covid also had a a big impact more recently pushing even more fans to view matches online. A lot of those fans will not return to watching games in person.
                    Did we have the same number of home matches? One less weekend or match can be a big difference in total numbers. That's why I generally like to look at averages.

I'm going to assume we hosted the same number of games, though I do know there have been years where we haven't.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Yes, my comment would use average match attendance as a barometer, not total season attendance. Note the highest average season attendance was in 2017. But that included 2 regional matches that had the top 2 individual match totals in Shocker history. If you remove those 2 matches the average attendance for 2017 was 2,700 which would still be in the top 10 at #5. 2017 was the final year of the Emily and Abby regime (hardly seems possible).

Average match attendance in the 5 years since 2017 has been: 2018/2,177, 2019/1,838, 2020/828 (Covid), 2021/1,318, 2022/1,333.

WICHITA STATE ATTENDANCE RECORDS

Season Attendance, Average Season Total
                      1. 2017 ................................................. 3,401
                      2. 2008.............................................. ....3,177
                      3. 2014.............................................. ....3,078
                      4. 2012.............................................. ....2,899
                      5. 2009.............................................. ....2,892
                      6. 2013.............................................. ....2,577
                      7. 2007.............................................. ....2,550
                      8. 2011.............................................. ....2,527
                      9. 2010.............................................. ....2,501
                      10. 2016.............................................. ..2,264

Single-Match Attendance Game Total
                      1. Missouri, 12/2/17..............................7,258
                      2. Radford, 12/1/17.............................. 7,257
                      3. Missouri St., 11/2/07.........................6,122
                      4. Kansas St., 8/25/07..........................6,024
                      5. Drake, 10/25/08................................5,916
                      6. UNI, 10/26/12...................................5,812
                      7. Missouri St, 11/7/14..........................5,127
                      8. UNI, 11/14/09...................................4,916
                      9. UNI, 10/29/11...................................4,528
                      10. Missouri St., 11/28/08 ...................4,219

Regular TV coverage of home matches started in 2015 on The Valley on ESPN3, in 2016 matches were on The Valley on ESPN3 or Cox 2022 HD, in 2017 matches were on Cox 2022 HD or Shocker HD, beginning in 2018 matches have been available on ESPN+.

In 2014 the Shocker averaged 3,078 in home attendance. The 2nd highest in school history if you back out the regional matches from 2017. In 2015, the first year home matches started to be available on the tube, attendance averaged 2,261. Team performance was not the issue. The Shocks were 20-10 (13-5) in 2014 and they were 27-9 (15-3) in 2015.

These numbers are paid attendance (tickets sold) not actual butts-in-the-seats attendance.

One question I have is does the revenue from the TV broadcast rights offset or exceed the decline in revenue from ticket sales?
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 13, 2023, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Did we have the same number of home matches? One less weekend or match can be a big difference in total numbers. That's why I generally like to look at averages.

I'm going to assume we hosted the same number of games, though I do know there have been years where we haven't.
                        And there’s our excuse! TV!

I would think TV might play a role, however, as you showed some high attendance number’s actually came AFTER TV.

The paid butts in seats number is down. Logical thinking would say it’s due to team performance. Large ticket numbers have always been sold in groups to youth teams, corporate events, ect.. 10-20-30 tickets at a time. Those tickets would then be used as give aways, parties, whatever.

For that to work, going to the game needs to be better than going to an alternative.

In the last half decade, the number of alternatives to watching WSU play middling volleyball has increased exponentially. There are simply more fun things to do than go to Koch and watch WSU. That is why there are less paid butts in the seats.

Those large groups are not all gathering around ESPN+ to watch WSU. They are having more fun and paying for something else.

Comment

• Curious of attendance figures on Friday night matches. Tough to get to when you need to go watch the grandkid play high school football...and seems there have been a lot of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
                            Curious of attendance figures on Friday night matches. Tough to get to when you need to go watch the grandkid play high school football...and seems there have been a lot of them.
                            I am in the same boat with 2 grandsons currently playing high school softball. What I did last year was to buy 2 season tickets and then gave my Friday tickets to my wife's cousin who enjoys attending the matches.

Comment

• Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
                              Curious of attendance figures on Friday night matches.
                              Last year's numbers:

Four Friday games
                              2316, 1337, 1374, 1793- Total 6820.

Five Sunday games*
                              1319, 1423, 1222, 1253, 1492(Senior Day game)- total 6709

Wednesday's Tulsa games
                              Home- 1110
                              Away- 178

The Shockers played no preseason home games. Post season vs GCU drew 649, which is kinda sad.

*I did not include UCF's "home game" at CKA due to the hurricane crossing Florida.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X