Volleyball Offseason/Roster Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimshocker View Post

I think you missed and proved my point all at the same time.

So, NONE since Hiebert and Lehman?

That’s almost two full four year cycles and several recruiting coaches in an out. NO recruits meet or exceed since the assistant coach merry go round began. The coaches that trained all those setters above left with or before Emily.

WSU can take NO credit for Gio. They damn near ruined her career. Her “injury” sure recovered nicely in Wisconsin.

Larson. Really? Good player. She ended up at WSU for reasons I’m sure most on this board know nothing about. She benefited greatly from the HOF players on her roster,

Emma Wright. OK. did WSU win with her?

Just asking what indication there is for improvement based on the
    Jim , your grudge against Lamb is sad....get over it. Plus it seems like it is pouring over into past players. But thanks for giving some of us a reason to post. Gio not here if not for Shocks.
    Gio recruited here and came over after her first ACL surgery, great skills but was probably not in great shape when she got here. Not her fault but a result of where she came from, rehab in Europe at the time was very passive. A great libero/ DS here at WSU and help win some matches. She was surrounded by Big 10 talent at Wisconsin, that makes quite a bit difference.

I have heard Lamb speak and how Larson's arrival was the greatest thing to happen to Emily, help bring her out of her shell. JL here for four years and she is HOF, probably borderline being that she was MVP of two MVC tournaments. Only player to do so, from any valley school. And won both on the road. The win over Missouri State was possibly the most exciting match in school history.
    I don't think Emma was as talented but she put up some decent numbers as a Shocker, believe vb to be the ultimate team sport. Don't believe you can blame one person for a won-lost record.

That being said there is something to be said about the last few years, I do believe there were steps forward this year. As for next year we will wait and see. Coaches who can handle the portal will have a better chance of survival. Hopefully we figure it out.

Comment

Looks like the Shox have signed a few transfers over the last couple days.

5'9" Libero/DS Gabi Maas. So from TCU
      6'1" Middle Blocker Maddie Wilson. SO from Idaho
      6'0" Outside Hitter Brooklyn Leggett. R-SO from Colorado Mesa
      6'0" Outside Hitter Megan Reilly. R-SO from Arizona State

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        Looks like the Shox have signed a few transfers over the last couple days.

5'9" Libero/DS Gabi Maas. So from TCU
        6'1" Middle Blocker Maddie Wilson. SO from Idaho
        6'0" Outside Hitter Brooklyn Leggett. R-SO from Colorado Mesa
        6'0" Outside Hitter Megan Reilly. R-SO from Arizona State
        There is some limited discussion of these players previously in this thread. Hard to know what to expect from these players. IIRC the thinking was Gabi Maas would perhaps make the most immediate impact at the libero position.

Megan Reilly is transferring from Arizona State to Wichita State. I couldn't find a thing on her since college. I think she redshirted last year and apparently didn't see the floor at all this season. A brief perusal of her club and she seems like a 6'0 OH with a big arm and average athleticism. I think she'll be a redshirt SO

Comment

I think we have a new player to add to the roster.

Izzi Strand 6'1" junior setter from UCSD

Her stats look pretty good (2022):
          114 sets played. 106 kills, 21 errors, 260 attempts for .327. 1074 assists. 19 aces.13 service errors.
          0 receiving errors. 265 digs. 7 Solo blocks. 37 block assists. 2 blocking errors. 23 ball handling errors.

From the looks of her stats, she was the fulltime starter all year. UCSD went 14-18 in the Big West.

She could push for being the starting setter next year, or possibly sharing time in a 6-2.

The team may look different next year with all the incoming transfers.

Comment

Yeah I'd say it's pretty safe to say that's correct. There's a picture of her wearing a WSU sweatshirt standing on Devlin Court. Interesting transfer as a junior.

Comment

Added the JUCO Player of the Year apparently.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                Added the JUCO Player of the Year apparently.
                Interesting. I don't know if I can recall Lambo having ever recruited from the Juco ranks plus Florida is not exactly a place we get a lot of players from. And if I told you had heard of Florida Southwestern College I would be lying. Barbara is from Brazil.

https://www.njcaa.org/sports/wvball/...20221202ej24vp

https://www.fswbucs.com/sports/wvbal..._cnyx?view=bio

https://www.fswbucs.com/sports/wvball/2022-23/bios/koehler_barbara_cnyx?view=profile

.324 hitting % is solid as is the .54 service errors per game. Hard to say how much those are inflated by playing juco competition. Looks like she probably has been a 6 rotation player for Florida Southwestern. Will she compete with Morgan Weber for that role. She and Morgan are in the same class I think.

Perhaps the new coaches have some recruiting connections that we haven't previously tapped into.

The roster is getting bigger at this point with 6 newcomers and 3 departures (Lily, Hailey & Sophie) reported. I totally understand Hailey and Sophie moving on as they no doubt would like to have more playing time. Hopefully, they will find that at their new schools.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 24, 2023, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Interesting additions for sure. Not sure what to think about Barbara. FSC sent a player to Cincinnati and ECU the last 2 years. The girl at Cincy was a senior ace in HS, went to Colorado, didn't do much, went to juco then was limited this fall at Cincy. Did have a good match against the Shocks but played less than half the sets...maybe got injured ? Just guessing. The ECU player didn't help out too much with the Pirates.

That being said, neither were POY or Postseason POY. Not sure why you come to WSU from a juco unless you plan on being busy right out of the box. Maybe we're losing someone else we don't know to graduation (or transfer) or just hanging it up? (Been known to happen).

And there's nothing wrong with upgrading talent (if that's what we're doing here) although that flies in the face of what Lambo likes to do.

On the plus side, Jim should be happy.

Found a match vs Indian River. 6 rotation player, maybe a little more physical OH than we are used to, seems skilled in passing. Good serve, not great (places it beautifully but it's not a big jump serve or anything). Seems like a great passer in the back. Can hit out of the back row, but not a skywalker or anything like that.

I burned through the match quickly and wouldn't try to draw much of a conclusion. FSC was a lot better than IR. I actually liked FSC's libero and opposite maybe more than Barbara. Will she help? Certainly could see that. She's not the next Emily Stockman though. If you aren't feeling old yet, Emily is 34. Pardon me while I go find the Geritol.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    If you aren't feeling old yet, Emily is 34. Pardon me while I go find the Geritol.
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Interesting additions for sure. Not sure what to think about Barbara. FSC sent a player to Cincinnati and ECU the last 2 years. The girl at Cincy was a senior ace in HS, went to Colorado, didn't do much, went to juco then was limited this fall at Cincy. Did have a good match against the Shocks but played less than half the sets...maybe got injured ? Just guessing. The ECU player didn't help out too much with the Pirates.

That being said, neither were POY or Postseason POY. Not sure why you come to WSU from a juco unless you plan on being busy right out of the box. Maybe we're losing someone else we don't know to graduation (or transfer) or just hanging it up? (Been known to happen).

And there's nothing wrong with upgrading talent (if that's what we're doing here) although that flies in the face of what Lambo likes to do.

On the plus side, Jim should be happy.

Found a match vs Indian River. 6 rotation player, maybe a little more physical OH than we are used to, seems skilled in passing. Good serve, not great (places it beautifully but it's not a big jump serve or anything). Seems like a great passer in the back. Can hit out of the back row, but not a skywalker or anything like that.

I burned through the match quickly and wouldn't try to draw much of a conclusion. FSC was a lot better than IR. I actually liked FSC's libero and opposite maybe more than Barbara. Will she help? Certainly could see that. She's not the next Emily Stockman though. If you aren't feeling old yet, Emily is 34. Pardon me while I go find the Geritol.

Thank you for mentioning me!

I’ll be happy when the gibberish equates to winning again, or we at last hear someone new spewing it.

I agree with most of what you said and hope talent upgrades are actually what we have here.

This method should put to rest the “It takes time” to learn Lambos ways, “ We need to get old”, ect…. These moves are a complete 180 from Lamb reasoning for 5 years of losing.

Is this a desperate move by a coach left with no other choice?

or

A coach changing his ways a bit to get better results?

Either way, RESULTS should start mattering immediately, THIS season? That is a question I’m asking. Will the results actually matter to this board.

NCAA Tournament this season or next was the boards feeling two years ago. This is still the season WSU fans should expect the NCAA regardless of THIS offseason?

Thoughts?

Comment

Go Shockers - Volleyball Adds Six Transfers

Barbara Koehler - OH - Junior - Florida SouthWestern
                        Koehler was named 2022 NJCAA DI Volleyball Player of the Year and AVCA Two-Year College Player of the Year after leading Florida SouthWestern to their first NJCAA National Championship in program history. She was selected Championship Tournament MVP after recording a double-double in the championship match, one of seven double-doubles on the season. The 6'0 outside hitter twice reached 20 kills in a match this season, including a 20 kill, 17 dig double-double in her season opener against Trinity Valley. Koehler averaged 3.74 kills per set on a .324 hitting percentage for the year, adding 45 service aces and 225 digs. The native of Mato Grosso, Brazil was a two-time First Team All-NJCAA Region VIII selection and two-time First Team All-Suncoast Conference choice. She leaves as the Florida SouthWestern all-time leader in both kills and aces.

Brooklyn Leggett - OH/RS - Redshirt Sophomore - Colorado Mesa
                        Leggett appeared in 47 sets for Colorado Mesa this season after redshirting in 2021. The native of Draper, Utah racked up 42 kills, highlighted by a season-best 11 in the opening round of the NCAA Division II Tournament, following up with six more against #1 ranked Metropolitan State. Leggett was named to the 2020 AVCA All-America Watch List prior to her senior season at Corner Canyon High School, and twice secured All-State honors. An AVCA Phenom List pick in 2019, Leggett is also the Corner Canyon school record-holder in the high jump.

Gabi Maas - DS/L - Sophomore - TCU
                        Maas overcame an early season injury to appear in 15 of TCU's final 17 matches, helping the Horned Frogs to a third place Big 12 finish and an NCAA tournament berth. The native of Aurora, Colorado finished her true freshman season with 29 digs and a pair of service aces, picking up one apiece against Iowa State and Texas Tech. She set a season high with seven digs on the road at Kansas. Prior to her time at TCU, Maas starred at Cherokee Trail High School, where she averaged 5.7 digs per set as a senior to earn Honorable Mention All-State and a place in the 5A Colorado Coaches' All-Star Game.

Megan Reilly - OH - Redshirt Sophomore - Arizona State
                        Reilly will be making her collegiate debut with the Shockers after redshirting at Arizona State following a standout prep career at Northfield High School in Minnesota. As a senior, she was tabbed to the 2020 Under Armour All-America Watchlist to go along with First Team All-State, All-Metro and All-Region honors. Reilly holds the Northfield school record for both career and single-match kills, and ended her high school career with a hitting percentage of .380 over the course of her six seasons as a varsity player.

Izzi Strand - S - Senior - UC San Diego
                        Strand started all 30 matches at setter last season for UC San Diego, averaging 9.4 assists per set while also contributing 106 kills. Defensively, the 6'1 setter averaged 2.32 digs per set and chipped in 44 blocks. Strand dished out a season-high 59 assists against Long Beach State, one of 12 matches on the season with at least 40 helpers. She had a season-best 18 digs against Cal, and nearly recorded a triple-double against Cal State Northridge with eight kills, 44 assists and 10 digs. Strand also appeared in 13 matches as a sophomore in 2021, but her freshman season was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Originally born in Bellevue, Washington but a native of Danville, California, Strand was a Third Team All-State selection at Monte Vista High School.

Maddie Wilson - MB - Sophomore - Idaho
                        Wilson piled up 140 kills as a true freshman at Idaho in addition to 68 blocks, including a team-best 16 solo rejections. She reached double-digit kills three times, highlighted by a season-best 17 terminations against Delaware State. Wilson notched five or more blocks four times, including 10 blocks in just three sets against Tarleton State. The native of Colorado Springs, Colorado finished the year with a hitting percentage of .235 and added six aces from the service line. Wilson was a First Team All-State selection as a senior in 2021, helping lead Palmer Ridge High School to a 4A State Championship.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

If you aren't feeling old yet, Emily is 34. Pardon me while I go find the Geritol.
                          Sara Younes will be 40 this summer. FORTY.

78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Just quit it guys!! Please, just quit!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Just quit it guys!! Please, just quit!
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Yea, but she would be the youngest of my daughters by 5 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X