Elephant in the Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
    Yeah, I don’t see us cutting a sport to get beach. And, as you may know, thats a problem because Title IX works both ways, and I’ve been told that we have more women’s schollys than men’s. Adding a new women’s sport without cuts might require the addition of a men’s sport to balance.

It’s probably not in the cards, but we’ll see what happens when we have a new president. You never know.
    Add Men’s Soccer. Done.

Comment

Hmmm

Sina Uluave, Shea Lauria, Nicole Anderson, Mariah Buss, Megan Taflinger, mysteriously no longer listed on the Wichita State Volleyball Roster.

They made it to the two year get out window.

Were they walk ons?
      Or just looking to go play Beach Volleyball someplace?
      Or not seeing the floor?
      Maybe not mentally tough?

Whatever the reason, it's a self fulfilling prophecy. Always waiting till next year, or Lambo's system is so tough to understand and takes time to learn.

2018 Freshman/Redshirt Freshman
      Brylee Kelly
      Kora Kauling (gone)
      Chinelo Ogogor (gone)
      Megan Taflinger (gone)
      Makenna Miller (gone)
      Grace Burken (gone)
      Maddy Fruend (gone)
      Jenna Mak (gone)
      Alayna Maslinski (gone)

2019 Freshman/Redshirt Freshman
      Skylar Goering
      Brylee Kelly
      Kayce Litzau
      Nicole Anderson (gone)
      Arianna Arjomand (gone)
      Sina Uluave (gone)
      Chinelo Ogogor (gone)
      Sophia Rohling
      Shea Lauria (gone)
      Lilly Liekweg

Mariah Buss (gone after freshman year)

Playing time?
      Burken (25 matches played)
      Kauling (50 matches played)
      Anderson (+25 matches played)
      Arjomand (25 matches played)
      Uluave (+40 matches played)
      Ogogor (23 matches played)
      Buss (14 of 17 matches as a freshman)
      Taflinger ( +70 matches played)

That's 1 setter, 2 middles, 1 ds, and 4 outsides with signifiant playing time, "learning the system", GONE.
      Last edited by jimshocker; April 6, 2021, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimshocker View Post
        Hmmm

Sina Uluave, Shea Lauria, Nicole Anderson, Mariah Buss, Megan Taflinger, mysteriously no longer listed on the Wichita State Volleyball Roster.

They made it to the two year get out window.

Were they walk ons?
        Or just looking to go play Beach Volleyball someplace?
        Or not seeing the floor?
        Maybe not mentally tough?

Whatever the reason, it's a self fulfilling prophecy. Always waiting till next year, or Lambo's system is so tough to understand and takes time to learn.

2018 Freshman/Redshirt Freshman
        Brylee Kelly
        Kora Kauling (gone)
        Chinelo Ogogor (gone)
        Megan Taflinger (gone)
        Makenna Miller (gone)
        Grace Burken (gone)
        Maddy Fruend (gone)
        Jenna Mak (gone)
        Alayna Maslinski (gone)

2019 Freshman/Redshirt Freshman
        Skylar Goering
        Brylee Kelly
        Kayce Litzau
        Nicole Anderson (gone)
        Arianna Arjomand (gone)
        Sina Uluave (gone)
        Chinelo Ogogor (gone)
        Sophia Rohling
        Shea Lauria (gone)
        Lilly Liekweg

Mariah Buss (gone after freshman year)

Playing time?
        Burken (25 matches played)
        Kauling (50 matches played)
        Anderson (+25 matches played)
        Arjomand (25 matches played)
        Uluave (+40 matches played)
        Ogogor (23 matches played)
        Buss (14 of 17 matches as a freshman)
        Taflinger ( +70 matches played)

That's 1 setter, 2 middles, 1 ds, and 4 outsides with signifiant playing time, "learning the system", GONE.
        For what reason would any player that contributed to a season of play have their picture/name removed from that year's roster after the season is over. For example, Mariah Buss. Without looking at the stats, it's as if the person never existed on the team. Is this normal with all WSU sports?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

For what reason would any player that contributed to a season of play have their picture/name removed from that year's roster after the season is over. For example, Mariah Buss. Without looking at the stats, it's as if the person never existed on the team. Is this normal with all WSU sports?
          No other sport does that that I'm aware of.
          “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

No other sport does that that I'm aware of.
            Well, I was pretty sure it's not happened with men's basketball, but I was not sure about other sports. Just seems wrong to me.

Comment

Yeah, I don’t see us cutting a sport to get beach. And, as you may know, thats a problem because Title IX works both ways, and I’ve been told that we have more women’s schollys than men’s. Adding a new women’s sport without cuts might require the addition of a men’s sport to balance.

It’s probably not in the cards, but we’ll see what happens when we have a new president. You never know.
              My suggestion was to consider cutting women's golf and replacing that with Beach Volleyball. Pretty much a wash as far as Title IX is concerned. As far as having more women's scholarships then Men's is due in part to have more women than men in the general student body which I believe is one factor among many in determining Title IX compliance.

As far as NCAA D-1 requirements go you must sponsor 7 men's sports and 7 women's sports (or 6 men's sports and 8 women sports).

The Shocks are 1 over the minimum with 7 men's sports (basketball, baseball, golf, tennis, XC, indoor T&F, and outdoor T&F) and 8 women's sports (basketball, softball, volleyball, golf, tennis, XC, indoor T&F, and outdoor T&F). So they could drop 1 men's sport or 1 women's sport and still meet the standards.

I do agree they probably won't be dropping anything or adding anything in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 28, 2021, 06:22 PM.

Comment

With conference realignment active again, it’s a shame Lamb has taken the last 4 years off. VB of course won’t drive conference affiliation but every little bit helps.

Comment

Podcast with Lamb.

Sounds like a promising team—- in 2, 3 to 4 years.
                  Speaks of some concerning money challenges with which the program is faced.

Comment

This guy is unbelievable.

Of course he’s talking money challenges the week before his big vball fundraiser!

Once again…he’s saying a lot of words and really listen and none of it actually adds up.

Basically takes credit for the best players in program history. “Projects” that they coached up.
                    -Who’s behind the training of all the kids that left the program the last few years and DIDN’T develop? They didn’t develop? They were not coached up? Poor recruiting of kids that didn’t like your training? Or are the coaches who actually trained and coached up those “projects” no longer at WSU? Chris and Sean still on staff..unable to get the best out of their recruits. The coaches that were on staff with Chris and Sean when the Mount Rushmore players developed…are not on staff. When he says “we coached them up”, who’s he talking about? If it’s Chris and Sean, then they have failed for multiple years in a row in either recruiting and or coaching.

Talks about not recruiting many kids this year because they have kids they project to be multiple year starters.
                    -The kids he projected to be multiple year starters two years ago are ALL gone! BEFORE they made it to their 3rd season. If you had planned on them leaving or at least expected them to leave, wouldn’t you have recruited/signed kids to replace them? The explanation works in a bubble. When actually comparing it to the WSU roster history the last 4 years, it makes no sense. The average rostered player at WSU makes it to Sophmore year. Talking about 3rd year projections does not line up with reality in the WSU vball program.

Talks about only carrying 20 due to finances.
                    -He’s always carried WAY more on the roster than pretty much any other program in the conference. 20-24. If half the program hadn’t left in the last two years, there would be 24 on the roster this year. Period. There’s only 20, because that’s all he could get.

Explanation for schedule not posted.
                    -If what he is saying is true, why is WSU one of the only teams in the conference without their schedule posted? Could it be because the games they actually wanted didn’t happen, so they had to scramble? Maybe WSU isn’t a “good” game anymore?

I hope WSU vball has a good year for the fans sake. Some of the most loyal in the country. But, every year Lamb has excuses for why things don’t, didn’t, or might not go as HE planned. Usually, those excuses don’t lead back to him being responsible for ANY failure.

However, if they do well. My goodness, you better believe it’s all because Chris Lamb is a volleyball mastermind.

Last edited by jimshocker; August 4, 2021, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Since I brought it up, I want to clear the air regarding last year's roster changes on goshockers.com. I have found out that some of the coaches have asked for the roster "change" temporarily due to confusion by recruits who look at the previous roster during the recruiting period and question why they are being recruited when it appears they have so many players returning. This is a temporary situation with a roster. With the timing of some personnel changes, the repopulating of the volleyball roster got dropped and will be re-populated very soon.

I am currently finishing my plate of crow of any tone I may have had regarding Coach. crow1.jpg

Comment

Wait a minute.

The explanation for why kids were removed from the roster makes sense. I get it, recruits looking and wondering. Sounds good and a reasonable thought.

Except, in the pod cast Chris said it was by design they didn’t recruit because they have kids in the program that project well for the next 2-3 years so no reason to recruit right behind them.

Which is it?

Why would WSU care if a kid is looking at their roster and wondering where they fit in? Chris said they don’t want to recruit kids when they already have a 2-3 year plan with current players.

Just another example of when you put ALL the Lambo words together, he’s talking out both sides of his mouth. And which ever side comes true, HE planned it that way!

No need to eat crow. Even if Chris makes you feel like you should.

Comment

Wait a minute.

The explanation for why kids were removed from the roster makes sense. I get it, recruits looking and wondering. Sounds good and a reasonable thought.

Except, in the pod cast Chris said it was by design they didn’t recruit because they have kids in the program that project well for the next 2-3 years so no reason to recruit right behind them.

Which is it?

Why would WSU care if a kid is looking at their roster and wondering where they fit in? Chris said they don’t want to recruit kids when they already have a 2-3 year plan with current players.

Just another example of when you put ALL the Lambo words together, he’s talking out both sides of his mouth. And which ever side comes true, HE planned it that way!
                          Websites: Passive recruiting.

Traveling and working the phones: Active recruiting.

When he says they weren't recruiting -- they weren't being proactive and making the traditional rounds. They don't need to, apparently.

However, even when not _actively_ recruiting, if a top prospect decides to check out your program, they are going to land on your website first and foremost. If they like what they see and reach out to you, you find a spot on your roster. Period.

Look, I don't know why your daughter/granddaughter/friends kid/girlfriend didn't fit in well with this program, but it's painful to watch you air your grievances out publicly. Twitter is a much better forum for your anger.
                          Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

But, every year [every coach of every sport at every level] has excuses for why things don’t, didn’t, or might not go as [he or she] planned. Usually, those excuses don’t lead back to [him or her] being responsible for ANY failure.

However, if they do well. My goodness, you better believe it’s all because [name of coach] is a [name of sport] mastermind.
                            FIFY

Comment

Wait a minute.

Which is it?

No need to eat crow. Even if Chris makes you feel like you should.
                              From the explanation I was told, the "re-population" of the roster was to have been done a few months ago by a certain person in the athletic department. That person took a new job at that time and it didn't get it done as the department thought it had. It appears that I brought that to their attention. I was told it would be done very soon.

So, if Lamb was done with his recruiting a few months back (as he did add some players), part of the "design" was to then repopulate the 2020 roster at that time.

Comment

Top recruit and WSU vball in same sentence. Funny!

Even Chris says the best players in program history are projects he coaches up.

Don’t worry, after the last few years of mistreating his TOP recruits, projects are now the focus. TOP recruits have self esteem and know they are good. Chris doesn’t do so well with kids that don’t need him to make them better. They have better options than Lambo.

I wonder where we would be had Jordyn Thompson not been injured the year WSU won the AAC?

Nearly a decade away from winning.

Comment

Working...
                                X