Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tropicalshox
    http://kentucky.scout.com/2/694723.html

Scout article confirms Stutz's visit to WSU this weekend. He is no longer visiting Marquette and they are now definitely out of the running.

No other visits are planned after WSU. According to this Kentucky writer, Kentucky is favored somewhat over WSU and SMU, "but they haven't exactly offered me a scholarship yet" according to Garret. He still wants to make a November commitment and it's unclear on his willingness to wait on Kentucky.

His NBA idol is Dirk Nowitski.
    If his idol is Dirk, then it would be reasonable to speculate that he (at least in his mind, if not his body), strives to be a player like Dirk. Whether the coaching staff would agree and let him pursue that would remain to be seen, but I like the possibilities!
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• He models much of his game after Nowitski. I'm pretty sure he wants to be a mobile big man that can do more than play with his back to the basket. Because his growth spurt is recent, his outside game is much more developed than most post players his age.
      In the fast lane

Comment

• Originally posted by top20shock
        Jamar had major athletic talent but he wasn't a great basketall player.
        He was only one of, if not the best, defender we've had here in 20 years. By his junior season he was shooting FTs at a respective percentage and shooting from beyond the arc.

He was the best rebounder on the floor and IIRC had pretty good assist numbers considering his role on the team.

For WSU, I'd call that great.

He was absolutely good enough to be a 3-star out of HS and developed into a 4-star. Remember, Arbry Butler was seen by a lot of recruiting gurus and rated a 3-star.

Comment

• When a player comes for an inhouse visit, is he here just 1 day or 2 days?

And which days typically?

Will Garrett be here today (Friday)? I hope he leaves a Shocker!

We are a good match for him, all the pieces seem right on both sides, and his family would get to see him play.

If Dirk is his idol, that's pretty a good start. Wouldn't hurt if he had a few
          Kevin Durant tendencies too .... :yahoo:

His Junior and Senior years here could be real stellar years for him because I fully expect CGM to have us in the big Dance by then, if not before then.

Comment

• I think it's typically a couple days they are here. Arrive on Friday, leave Saturday or Sunday.

I think it's to our advantage to get Garret's last official visit.

Can you imagine his junior year, with Orukpe (assuming he gets here and stays), Stutz and Durley rotating in the post, Ellis at the 3, with a combo of Murry, Hatch and perhaps Kyles at the guards?

If Dirk is his idol, he needs to call Kyle Wilson to get some hair care tips!

Comment

• 1) It's not the kids' fault that BCS teams have a media advantage. Calling them self-absorbed is rediculous. Take off the rose-colored glasses for a minute. Sure Crawford picked Wake. Ok, great academic school, playing in the ACC, beautiful part of the country ... except he wasn't very good. So then he picked Colorado. The Buffs are bad. But the school itself is one of the best public schools in the country, it's in a beautiful location, the co-eds are fantastic, there are tons of things to do, the football team is usually good, he gets to play against the likes of KU and MU - the teams he grew up watching - and just maybe his team will do well enough to eek into a postseason tournament. God what a fool!

WSU is a good school and the team is just going to get better, but that's not all that goes into these kids' decisions. That's not even considering the influence AAU coaches and parents have on kids' decisions. WSU should just go buy an AAU program like KSU did with the DC Assault.

2) Sure KC media have a bias toward KU, Mizzou and to a lesser extent KSU (unless it's on 810). I'm guessing WSU has a similar advantage in Wichita. It's called local sports talk. They probably aren't going to spend a lot of time covering smaller schools several hours away that no one in KC cares about. Sorry. It's mostly football talk right now, anyway, which of course WSU would get none. Just keep winning and it will improve. Hey, UMKC hardly gets any coverage and it's in the middle of the city.

3) There have been plenty of solid players to come out of the KC-metro area recently. Rahmon Fletcher (UW-Milw), George Goode (Louisville), Jarryd Cole (Iowa), LaMont Austin (Moo St.), Kyle Weems (Moo St.), Adam Leonard (EKU), Rodrick Pearson (SEMO), JaJuan Maxwell (SEMO), Marcus Walker (CSU), Casey Crawford (CU), Brandon Rush (KU), Tyrel Reed (KU), Conner Teahan (KU), Brady Morningstar (KU), Matt Lawrence (Moo), etc., and that's only the last few years.

4) (Someone asked): Tyrel Reed will get average 10-15 minutes this year for KU. He's going to be a productive player for four years. He's a heck of an athlete, as the dunk pic suggests. The pics are credited to Rivals and Scout, respectively.

Back to the thread, Stutz has a great opportunity to come in and be an impact player early at WSU. If Kentucky doesn't offer, I like the Shox' chances.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

• A voice of reason.........

Comment

• I know a lot of you have no love for KU, but Tyrel Reed is a great kid.

High Character, BB-IQ, Size and Athleticism.

He's like Matt in Gal's body. Self doesn't seem to be so enamored with the Burger Boys so much (they'll still sign a few) but I think they'll actually be better for it.
                  "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                  -John Wooden

Comment

• I have nothing against Tyrel Reed, but man, there should be a size limit on Jayhawk photos on Shockernet. That much red and blue filling my browser makes me a little queasy.

:posterwu:

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock
                      Originally posted by top20shock
                      He was only one of, if not the best, defender we've had here in 20 years. By his junior season he was shooting FTs at a respective percentage and shooting from beyond the arc.

He was the best rebounder on the floor and IIRC had pretty good assist numbers considering his role on the team.

He was absolutely good enough to be a 3-star out of HS and developed into a 4-star. Remember, Arbry Butler was seen by a lot of recruiting gurus and rated a 3-star.
                      I agree with you but Jamar had to use his tremedous athletic gifts to be a good ballplayer. I loved the guy I just don't like to use the word great. Great is when you combine crazy athletic skills with basketball talent like X, Antoine and even Cliff Levingston. JMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy23
                        1) It's not the kids' fault that BCS teams have a media advantage. Calling them self-absorbed is rediculous. Take off the rose-colored glasses for a minute. Sure Crawford picked Wake. Ok, great academic school, playing in the ACC, beautiful part of the country ... except he wasn't very good. So then he picked Colorado. The Buffs are bad. But the school itself is one of the best public schools in the country, it's in a beautiful location, the co-eds are fantastic, there are tons of things to do, the football team is usually good, he gets to play against the likes of KU and MU - the teams he grew up watching - and just maybe his team will do well enough to eek into a postseason tournament. God what a fool!

WSU is a good school and the team is just going to get better, but that's not all that goes into these kids' decisions. That's not even considering the influence AAU coaches and parents have on kids' decisions. WSU should just go buy an AAU program like KSU did with the DC Assault.

2) Sure KC media have a bias toward KU, Mizzou and to a lesser extent KSU (unless it's on 810). I'm guessing WSU has a similar advantage in Wichita. It's called local sports talk. They probably aren't going to spend a lot of time covering smaller schools several hours away that no one in KC cares about. Sorry. It's mostly football talk right now, anyway, which of course WSU would get none. Just keep winning and it will improve. Hey, UMKC hardly gets any coverage and it's in the middle of the city.

3) There have been plenty of solid players to come out of the KC-metro area recently. Rahmon Fletcher (UW-Milw), George Goode (Louisville), Jarryd Cole (Iowa), LaMont Austin (Moo St.), Kyle Weems (Moo St.), Adam Leonard (EKU), Rodrick Pearson (SEMO), JaJuan Maxwell (SEMO), Marcus Walker (CSU), Casey Crawford (CU), Brandon Rush (KU), Tyrel Reed (KU), Conner Teahan (KU), Brady Morningstar (KU), Matt Lawrence (Moo), etc., and that's only the last few years.

4) (Someone asked): Tyrel Reed will get average 10-15 minutes this year for KU. He's going to be a productive player for four years. He's a heck of an athlete, as the dunk pic suggests. The pics are credited to Rivals and Scout, respectively.

Back to the thread, Stutz has a great opportunity to come in and be an impact player early at WSU. If Kentucky doesn't offer, I like the Shox' chances.
                        You're rediculous.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                          Originally posted by top20shock

I agree with you but Jamar had to use his tremedous athletic gifts to be a good ballplayer. I loved the guy I just don't like to use the word great. Great is when you combine crazy athletic skills with basketball talent like X, Antoine and even Cliff Levingston. JMO.
                          Go back and re-read this part of the discussion. The question I was addressing was, "when was the last time a 3-star recruit from KC came to WSU?". The issue wasn't "greatness", but ranking. I just establishing Jamar's credentials as a 3-4 star player.

I'm actually a little puzzled as to why you even introduced "great" into the discussion.

Comment

You're rediculous.
                            You seriously think so?

I dare you to find one thing wrong with what Indy said.

(Hint: It's a safe dare because I know you can't.)
                            The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• BTW, it's ridiculous, not rediculous (Send you to college and send you to college)

Comment

• No details and no promises, but there seem to be reasons to be upbeat if this is the kid you want in a Shocker uniform next year.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Working...
                                X