Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will happen with the last 2017 scholarship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
    Postings like this one lead me to ask if you watched the Wichita State Shockers last year or did you watch a Shocker team in a different universe?
    I did watch. And if you watched the any of the 2 NCAA games, you would have seen Reaves struggle against 1 on 1 and full court press just bringing the ball up. Several times did an actual ball handler have to run back to help him bring the ball up. I'm sorry that you didn't watch enough to see that Reaves can not be trusted with the ball in those situations. A lot of fans are high on him, but let's be realistic, he isn't Ron Baker yet. He still needs help with bringing the ball up. He's certainly no where near the ball handling level of Landry. For crying out loud, Smith had to be the one come get the ball from him. He's a great addition in the half-court set, but don't inbound him the ball against pressure underneath the opponents hoop. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by mini-shock View Post
      I did watch. And if you watched the any of the 2 NCAA games, you would have seen Reaves struggle against 1 on 1 and full court press just bringing the ball up. Several times did an actual ball handler have to run back to help him bring the ball up. I'm sorry that you didn't watch enough to see that Reaves can not be trusted with the ball in those situations. A lot of fans are high on him, but let's be realistic, he isn't Ron Baker yet. He still needs help with bringing the ball up. He's certainly no where near the ball handling level of Landry. For crying out loud, Smith had to be the one come get the ball from him. He's a great addition in the half-court set, but don't inbound him the ball against pressure underneath the opponents hoop. Period.
      Reaves will be fine running the point when we need him. He has good handles and is going to be a very good assist guy. He is also versatile and can shoot from outside. I think he shot 50% from 3 this year. He wasn't as polished as Landry but he has all the tools. Glad he is a Shocker.
      I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

Open 2017 Schollie

I can't see WSU recruiting another juco. The roster has 3 centers on it next year plus 2 at the 4-spot and 2 at the 3 spot & actually 3 if you consider that CJ can play there, too, according to 3G.

I'd rather see WSU recruit a frosh who can start getting experience even if it's limited. He will be able to see that much PT will be available by his soph year.

Comment

This is an intriguing question that has conditions to existing concerns that are still unanswered IMO. Coach Marshall likes plenty of guards and tries to keep the cupboard filled to the brim. Thus, until we know the status on Austin for this coming Season, which way do we go? If Austin is for sure a go, I would bring in a solid big that gets a Ship and practices with the team all next Season. If Austin is to sit out a year for more healing and rehab, I hope we bring in another guard.
          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
            I can't see WSU recruiting another juco. The roster has 3 centers on it next year plus 2 at the 4-spot and 2 at the 3 spot & actually 3 if you consider that CJ can play there, too, according to 3G.

I'd rather see WSU recruit a frosh who can start getting experience even if it's limited. He will be able to see that much PT will be available by his soph year.
            A transfer who will have 2-3 years of eligibility after sitting out a year would also be a good option, in my mind.
            You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

I believe there were two instances this year where he got trapped in backcourt. Apparently you watched those two games.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                Just curious what everyone thinks will happen with the newly opened scholarship. A true freshman? Junior college guy? Transfer? Grad transfer?
                What I don't want to see going forward for this scholarship and future ones is big men projects. Now that we are out of the MVC we need some 4 star bigs.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                  I believe there were two instances this year where he got trapped in backcourt. Apparently you watched those two games.
                  Right. Remember that time Fred got trapped in the corner? If he was just a better ball handler that wouldn't have happened.

Comment

The only thing that worries me about Reaves is his health and history of shoulder injuries. Talent wise, he will be somewhere from a good player with the potential to be a starter, to a very good player. He is a talented player with good handles, a high basketball IQ both offensively and defensively, and a great shooter. He may not be headed to the NBA, but he is for sure a glue player who will make others around him better, and can compete with players on AAC teams (KU too) who are great athletes who ALL think they are headed to the LEAGUE.

But we can't put our heads in the sand and ignore the elephant in the room. The shoulder injuries need to be addressed so he can gain strength, and his weight, and become the player we need him to be.

Comment

Regarding Reaves, has he been wearing the brace on the shoulder that was injured in high school and is again to be repaired, or the shoulder that was repaired last spring? If the most recent repair was successful and has not been the one causing problems, it is not totally unreasonable to think that re-fixing the high school injury can also be successful, is it?
                      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                      ---------------------------------------
                      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                        Regarding Reaves, has he been wearing the brace on the shoulder that was injured in high school and is again to be repaired, or the shoulder that was repaired last spring? If the most recent repair was successful and has not been the one causing problems, it is not totally unreasonable to think that re-fixing the high school injury can also be successful, is it?
                        I would hope it can be repaired and have no reason not to believe that it can. However, he may not be ready for this year (maybe he will but from the lack of information we have now, I wouldn't count on it), and this repair needs to be done right for his LONG TERM success.

Comment

The brace has been on the shoulder that was /not/ repaired last year.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                            The only thing that worries me about Reaves is his health and history of shoulder injuries. Talent wise, he will be somewhere from a good player with the potential to be a starter, to a very good player. He is a talented player with good handles, a high basketball IQ both offensively and defensively, and a great shooter. He may not be headed to the NBA, but he is for sure a glue player who will make others around him better, and can compete with players on AAC teams (KU too) who are great athletes who ALL think they are headed to the LEAGUE.

But we can't put our heads in the sand and ignore the elephant in the room. The shoulder injuries need to be addressed so he can gain strength, and his weight, and become the player we need him to be.

Have to agree with your summary. Thought Austin was outstanding and a stat sheet stuffer before he re-injured the shoulder. Obvious that upper body strength was his area of need coming in as a freshman. This young man seems to be the ultimate competitor &.will give us everything he has to be great. I pray.for God to heel him & allow him the opportunity as he begins the re-hab process.

Comment

Originally posted by Windiwu View Post
                              The brace has been on the shoulder that was /not/ repaired last year.
                              But both shoulders have been repaired. He had surgery on his right shoulder just after high school and missed basketball in Canada because of it. In fact, he missed a lot of the summer because of it. Now he has had surgery on his other shoulder and will miss summer pick up games because of it. Because of his shoulder surgeries, he has not been able to build up either shoulder very well. If you look at him, neither shoulder has any muscle definition. Your optimism just doesn't seem warranted.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                                But both shoulders have been repaired. He had surgery on his right shoulder just after high school and missed basketball in Canada because of it. In fact, he missed a lot of the summer because of it. Now he has had surgery on his other shoulder and will miss summer pick up games because of it. Because of his shoulder surgeries, he has not been able to build up either shoulder very well. If you look at him, neither shoulder has any muscle definition. Your optimism just doesn't seem warranted.
                                Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the right shoulder was originally operated on in high school (sophomore year or something). The left shoulder was operated on after high School, causing him to miss Canada. He is now getting an additional surgery on the right shoulder. Hopefully with a better surgeon.
                                You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Working...
                                X